VOGONS

First post, by SDumas

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi all Vogons members !

hope you can help me...
I have this motherboard with missing components, look at the photo.This photo is from user Hi PD2JK posted on "Bought these (retro) hardware today" topic.

In the upper right side :
Transistor Q9 (need reference print on it)

In the lower right side :
Transistor Q8 (need reference print on it)
Double diode D7 (need reference print on it)
4 capacitors - are all 1500uF/6.3V ?
Power inductor - how many turns ? if possible measure wire diameter... and if possible a side close photo...

Note : there is no rush... i have this motherboard for a long time and i can wait...
Thank in advance
SDumas

Attachments

• VA502_components.jpg
    Filename
    VA502_components.jpg
    File size
    1.95 MiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 1 of 9, by SDumas

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

And photos of the motherboard...

Attachments

• Q8-D7.jpg
    Filename
    Q8-D7.jpg
    File size
    1.3 MiB
    Views
    File license
  • Q9.jpg
    Filename
    Q9.jpg
    File size
    1.31 MiB
    Views
    File license
  • VA-502.jpg
    Filename
    VA-502.jpg
    File size
    967.29 KiB
    Views
    File license

Reply 2 of 9, by snufkin

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Q9 is probably something like an LM317 to give 3.3V, maybe with a higher current rating though. Nearby resistors 2k and 1.2k would give Vout=1.25*(1+20/12)=3.33

X2 crystal (top left of CPU socket, by the ICS clock chip) is also missing.

Reply 3 of 9, by SDumas

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
snufkin wrote on 2021-12-17, 11:37:

Q9 is probably something like an LM317 to give 3.3V, maybe with a higher current rating though. Nearby resistors 2k and 1.2k would give Vout=1.25*(1+20/12)=3.33

X2 crystal (top left of CPU socket, by the ICS clock chip) is also missing.

Hi Snufkin, well spotted the missing X2 crystal, this is a 14,318 Mhz, so no problem here...
For the others components, i wait for Vogons users with this motherboard.
I think this is more easy to have the original parts references for this kind of work...

Thanks
SDumas

Reply 4 of 9, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I've got this model listed in the ancient scrolls (Scribbles on notepads 15+ years old) but it's also on the "ain't seen it recently" list, so I am unsure if I still have one or whether it went into a build I gave away when I could still make it fast enough to be a useful surfer/office box. So it is a good thing you are not in too much of a hurry, I will keep an eye out for it, and try to remember this thread if it turns up.

(Also got a slight suspicion about possible mis-ID in the past, because I had a Lucky Star 5V-1A turn up "out of nowhere", which is similar chipset and layout, but the printing 5V-1A is pretty clear on it, so I don't know how I would have missed that..)

Unicorn herding operations are proceeding, but all the totes of hens teeth and barrels of rocking horse poop give them plenty of hiding spots.

Reply 5 of 9, by SDumas

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
BitWrangler wrote on 2021-12-17, 16:30:

I've got this model listed in the ancient scrolls (Scribbles on notepads 15+ years old) but it's also on the "ain't seen it recently" list, so I am unsure if I still have one or whether it went into a build I gave away when I could still make it fast enough to be a useful surfer/office box. So it is a good thing you are not in too much of a hurry, I will keep an eye out for it, and try to remember this thread if it turns up.

(Also got a slight suspicion about possible mis-ID in the past, because I had a Lucky Star 5V-1A turn up "out of nowhere", which is similar chipset and layout, but the printing 5V-1A is pretty clear on it, so I don't know how I would have missed that..)

Hi BitWrangler, thanks for our answer, i will wait ...

To complete the motherboard information, this one is pcb V 1.1.

Reply 6 of 9, by PD2JK

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Hey SDumas, I saw the notifications of quoting me in the other topic. Happy to help, here goes:

Transistor Q9 = EZ1083CT
Transistor Q8 = NDP603AL
Double diode D7 = BYV118
4 capacitors - are all 1500uF/6.3V - Correct, mine have Sanyo's and are in good working order.
Power inductor - how many turns = I would say 20, see photo. Not sure about the thickness, maybe 0,5mm² / AWG 20 ? Don't have a caliper at home, sorry.

Attachments

• coil.png
    Filename
    coil.png
    File size
    1017.59 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Public domain

i386 16 ⇒ i486 DX4 100 ⇒ Pentium MMX 200 ⇒ Athlon Orion 700 | TB 1000 ⇒ AthlonXP 1700+ ⇒ Opteron 165 ⇒ Dual Opteron 856

Reply 7 of 9, by SDumas

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
PD2JK wrote on 2021-12-18, 07:21:
Hey SDumas, I saw the notifications of quoting me in the other topic. Happy to help, here goes: […]
Show full quote

Hey SDumas, I saw the notifications of quoting me in the other topic. Happy to help, here goes:

Transistor Q9 = EZ1083CT
Transistor Q8 = NDP603AL
Double diode D7 = BYV118
4 capacitors - are all 1500uF/6.3V - Correct, mine have Sanyo's and are in good working order.
Power inductor - how many turns = I would say 20, see photo. Not sure about the thickness, maybe 0,5mm² / AWG 20 ? Don't have a caliper at home, sorry.

PD2JK,
Thank you very much, this is exactly the information i need...
For the power inductor, your photo is enough, i will test with some i have removed from old boards.
The important thing is to have the same number of turns, the wire diameter will be between 1.0 and 1.5 mm, i need to test that...
The others components, i need to see if i have in "house", or some close equivalents.
When I have more information about this repair, I'll post the results here.

@ BitWrangler , ok, as I already have the information I needed, so now you don't need to waste time looking for the board.
Thanks for offering your help.

Reply 8 of 9, by SDumas

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

OK, finally i have this motherboard recovered.
For information, I received it in the state it was at the beginning : missing the power inductor, 3.3v regulator, a double diode,
transistor, some capacitors, 14.318 Mhz crystal,battery holder and 2 inductors near the keyboard connector.
For Q9, i used a equivalent LX8383.
For Q8, the same one: NDP603AL.
For D7, SB1640 a better one in terms of current (16A vs 10A) and a little less forward voltage drop.
The power inductor was made with 19 turns of 1.14mm wire.
I tested the 2.8V-3.5V with a resistor load (0.47 ohm) and the voltage values ​​were quite good.
The chip bios was unsoldered to put a socket for later bios change if nedeed and make a partial recapping.
At the end the motherboard was tested with a Cyrix 6x86MX-PR200 and all worked fine !
The only thing i found strange was that motherboard is very problematic with DIMMs, i only could
used 32MB and some ones were identified as 16MB on the outer socket...
With 16MB dimms, on 10 units tested only 2 or 3 were OK...these 10 units had been tested on other motherboard
without problems.

I tested several simms and all were corrected identified.

I want to thank all of you for the help provided and especially to PD2JK who provided the information
requested to repair this motherboard.

And finally i apologize for my bad English.

Attachments

• Power Inductor.jpg
    Filename
    Power Inductor.jpg
    File size
    1.18 MiB
    Views
    File license
  • 2.8-3.5V-circuit.jpg
    Filename
    2.8-3.5V-circuit.jpg
    File size
    1.33 MiB
    Views
    File license
  • 3.3V-Circuit.jpg
    Filename
    3.3V-Circuit.jpg
    File size
    1.2 MiB
    Views
    File license
  • VA502.jpg
    Filename
    VA502.jpg
    File size
    1.03 MiB
    Views
    File license

Reply 9 of 9, by PD2JK

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

You're welcome! Very nice to read another succesful story on Vogons. 😀

(Late reply, I know.)

i386 16 ⇒ i486 DX4 100 ⇒ Pentium MMX 200 ⇒ Athlon Orion 700 | TB 1000 ⇒ AthlonXP 1700+ ⇒ Opteron 165 ⇒ Dual Opteron 856