VOGONS

First post, by scottie4442

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I have both an optiplex gx200 and gx110. I had a 3.5 1.44m drive working in each of them, but when I tried to add a 5.25 360k drive as secondary (b:) drive it gave me a drive 1 seek error. I tried three different drives 2 chinon fz-502 and an tec-503 ( i know the tec-503 is a shugart drive now). I removed all the 5.25 and now the 3.5 are giving me a seek error and will not work. any ideas.
I need the 5.25 360k to make disks for my really old pc's, a compaq portable and ibm xt clone.

Reply 1 of 4, by Horun

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Curious which chassis is the Gx200 ?
My guess is bad or loose floppy cable. Did you go back into BIOS and make sure it shows only the 3.5" drive as A ?

Hate posting a reply and then have to edit it because it made no sense 😁 First computer was an IBM 3270 workstation with CGA monitor. Stuff: https://archive.org/details/@horun

Reply 2 of 4, by scottie4442

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Check which drive was plugged into which part of cable, when only had 3.5 drive I had a cable which only had one end, with the twist of course. It only started to drive seek error after I tried the 5.25

Reply 4 of 4, by scottie4442

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

ok, sometimes dell drives me crazy. I went back into the bios of my gx200 and found it had turned off the disk controller, turned it back on and set the drives properly, they now come up and read correctly. will check the gx110 later and see if this is the problem with it. thanks for the suggestions.