VOGONS

First post, by Lylat1an

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I found one of these boards at work and I'd like to use it with my 500MHz AMD K6-2.

However, I don't know whether the board will support a CPU that fast, as the CPUCLK jumpers on the PCB only go up to 75mhz and the RATIO jumpers only go up to 3.0x.

Can this board support my CPU?

Reply 1 of 11, by rmay635703

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

What’s the 4 digit numeric code on the board?

If memory serves That’s a PCCHIPS m571 in disguise (please post photos and Rev in the corner )

Although not official every version of that board should be stable at 83mhz so long as you overclock the pci bus
(async settings don’t work z)
And have very good ram

In any event with the most up to date bios you should be able to run up 500mhz (83x6) just understand not every board supports voltages below 2.5 volts, if you have a classic k6/k6-2 that voltage should be fine and allow for a slight overclock

Don’t expect to win any speed championships though as the onboard video SIS penalty is in full effect.

Reply 2 of 11, by Repo Man11

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

If it is an M571, Jan Steunebrink has a patched BIOS that supports the K6-2+. Just be very sure of the ID (including the board's revision number) before you try it.

http://web.inter.nl.net/hcc/J.Steunebrink/k6plus.htm

This site has images to help you verify: http://pcchips.narod.ru/supp5xx.html

"I'd rather be rich than stupid" - Jack Handey

Reply 3 of 11, by Lylat1an

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
rmay635703 wrote on 2021-12-22, 21:41:
What’s the 4 digit numeric code on the board? […]
Show full quote

If memory serves That’s a PCCHIPS m571 in disguise (please post photos and Rev in the corner )

Although not official every version of that board should be stable at 83mhz so long as you overclock the pci bus
And have very good ram

In any event with the most up to date bios you should be able to run up 500mhz (83x6) just understand not every board supports voltages below 2.5 volts, if you have a classic k6/k6-2 that voltage should be fine and allow for a slight overclock

Don’t expect to win any speed championships though as the onboard video SIS penalty is in full effect.

Images of the M571 are close, but not quite the same.

Attachments

Reply 4 of 11, by dionb

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Lylat1an wrote on 2021-12-22, 22:01:
Show full quote

And have very good ram

Ooh, no, that's the M558.

You really won the PC Chips lottery, that "VX Pro-II" is the Utron UT801X chipset, probably the most obscure (and least supported) So7 chipset. If you just want to run DOS it's not too bad (apart from general low build quality, slow speeds etc), Win9x will work, but contemporary Linux is a no-no.

Manual etc here:
https://www.win3x.org/uh19/motherboards/4160

More explanation on this great chipset:
http://leoandfanny.bplaced.net/vintagecompute … C501/index.html

Reply 5 of 11, by Deksor

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Don't link win3x.org/uh19, it will be gone soon (check the main page) use this : https://www.ultimateretro.net/en/motherboards/4160

Trying to identify old hardware ? Visit The retro web - Project's thread The Retro Web project - a stason.org/TH99 alternative

Reply 6 of 11, by Lylat1an

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Looks like it won't support my processor then.

I was hoping to swap out my existing board with integrated video and audio for one with more expansion slots.

Guess I'll need to keep looking.

Thank you for your help, guys.

Reply 7 of 11, by dionb

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Lylat1an wrote on 2021-12-22, 22:37:
Looks like it won't support my processor then. […]
Show full quote

Looks like it won't support my processor then.

I was hoping to swap out my existing board with integrated video and audio for one with more expansion slots.

Guess I'll need to keep looking.

Thank you for your help, guys.

No official support, but you can jumper it down to 2.5V, which is overvolting the K6-2, but (given sufficient cooling) probably not fatally so. Then set multiplier to 2x, which the K6-2 will remap to 6x, and the bus to 75MHz. That will get you 450MHz. It might work. Still would be horribly slow due to lack of DMA on the IDE and crappy memory controller, but a lot faster than whatever CPU is on it now.

Reply 8 of 11, by rmay635703

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

There were 2.4 volt K6 flavors around though personally I would just overvolt a 2.2 volt variant as you likely would still use less power, gotta wonder if the boards regulators are up to snuff

Gotta wonder if we could hack on k6+ and 128gb support in the bios, maybe a bus mastering PCI disk controller would help?

Anyway I have never understood the point of the m558
It came out at the same time as the m569 and historically was the same price even though one board had many more capabilities

The m558 seems like something that belonged in 1994 more than 1997

Ah well, makes about as much sense as the 286pro board with the overclockEd 386sx16

Reply 9 of 11, by jesolo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
dionb wrote on 2021-12-22, 22:24:
Ooh, no, that's the M558. […]
Show full quote
Lylat1an wrote on 2021-12-22, 22:01:
Show full quote

And have very good ram

You really won the PC Chips lottery, that "VX Pro-II" is the Utron UT801X chipset, probably the most obscure (and least supported) So7 chipset. If you just want to run DOS it's not too bad (apart from general low build quality, slow speeds etc), Win9x will work, but contemporary Linux is a no-no.

Manual etc here:
https://www.win3x.org/uh19/motherboards/4160

More explanation on this great chipset:
http://leoandfanny.bplaced.net/vintagecompute … C501/index.html

My first Pentium build was with this motherboard - needless to say, the performance of this board was abysmal compared to a PC Chips M537 board.

Reply 10 of 11, by PcBytes

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Didn't the 537 also have a DMA33 version? If so, how did that fare up against most VPX based mobos?

"Enter at your own peril, past the bolted door..."
Main PC: i5 3470, GB B75M-D3H, 16GB RAM, 2x1TB
98SE : P3 650, Soyo SY-6BA+IV, 384MB RAM, 80GB

Reply 11 of 11, by soggi

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
dionb wrote on 2021-12-22, 22:24:

You really won the PC Chips lottery, that "VX Pro-II" is the Utron UT801X chipset, probably the most obscure (and least supported) So7 chipset...

Haha...🤣...good old PCChips Lottery!

kind regards
soggi

Vintage BIOSes, firmware, drivers, tools, manuals and (3dfx) game patches -> soggi's BIOS & Firmware Page

soggi.org on Twitter - talent borrows, genius steals...