VOGONS

First post, by treeman

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Another voodoo im repairing. To sum it up came hacked up with previous repair attempts. After fixing broken pins on chips it booted but has a blue tint, in 2d and 3d. Wiggling the vga cable would flicker more colors on but never perfect. After many inspections everything near the plugs looked fine. Since the tint is in 2d and 3d and wiggling the cable does produce a result the easiest thing to try is change the vga port. So I took out the old vga out and replaced with with another vga out I took from a broken kvm switch. Lucky it was a direct swap.

After soldering the new port in and cleaning up to my amazement I saw 2 line filters standing up being broken off on 1 side.

They must of been internally cracked previously or something, I guess blowing some hot air around to release the port on the way out made them stand up.

What is the best thing to replace them with? I guessed using straight wire should be fine for testing?

YoZbaI.md.jpg
YoZmvt.md.jpg

Reply 1 of 5, by wiretap

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

https://www.mouser.com/c/passive-compon ... ygQAvD_BwE

They look 0805 sized, so you'll have to check the resistance of them and order a replacement.

My Github
Circuit Board Repair Manuals

Reply 2 of 5, by Sphere478

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
wiretap wrote on 2021-12-26, 02:37:

https://www.mouser.com/c/passive-compon ... ygQAvD_BwE

They look 0805 sized, so you'll have to check the resistance of them and order a replacement.

Yeah, hopefully someone has one and can measure. Or maybe you can measure one of the good ones.

Would be cool if someone around here had a schematic for these cards.

Sphere's PCB projects.
-
Sphere’s socket 5/7 cpu collection.
-
SUCCESSFUL K6-2+ to K6-3+ Full Cache Enable Mod
-
Tyan S1564S to S1564D single to dual processor conversion (also s1563 and s1562)

Reply 3 of 5, by treeman

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

The resistance showed direct connection, I found the same sized filters on a old broken s3 card and transplanted them, now proper colors are back!

Still got artifacts tho and 0 tmu ram showing up but thats another issue.

Yeah it would be nice to have a component map for voodoo 1 like there is for voodoo2

Reply 4 of 5, by Sphere478

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I wonder if they are little inductors are something some of those will read as near short

Good job! That woulda been a hard one to figure out had it not moved 🤣

Flux the pins and push on the chip and run around it with hot air. Might have a cracked solder joint. I bet those filters broke from someone being rough with the vga port

Sphere's PCB projects.
-
Sphere’s socket 5/7 cpu collection.
-
SUCCESSFUL K6-2+ to K6-3+ Full Cache Enable Mod
-
Tyan S1564S to S1564D single to dual processor conversion (also s1563 and s1562)

Reply 5 of 5, by treeman

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I actually read a thread here on vogons where a guy had the same issue with a voodoo2 but his card had missing L1 and L2 filters. It did get me thinking and check mine, I can't remember now if I checked their resistance or just visually inspected them but they passed. So I would of never found the issue if they didn't bent up from the hot air. A good lesson for future trouble shooting