VOGONS

First post, by acl

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Hi

I recently get my hands on 200+ punched cards from a 50's IBM 650 computer. (see attachments)
I bought them (at first) to convert them into a nice looking frame to put in my office/retro room.

But i felt like it would be a shame to waste the vintage software stored on them.

I obviously does not have an IBM 650 available at home (weights multiple tons and only ~2000 were produced)
I was thinking about scanning them with a bright green sheet behind to outline the punched holes and maybe have an image processing software reading them (Python OpenCV ?)
Or build some kind of optical reader using an Arduino/whatever.

Do you have experience/advices with punched cards reading ?

IMG_20211229_105620.jpg
Filename
IMG_20211229_105620.jpg
File size
1.13 MiB
Views
File license
CC-BY-4.0
IMG_20211229_105658.jpg
Filename
IMG_20211229_105658.jpg
File size
597.08 KiB
Views
File license
CC-BY-4.0
IMG_20211229_105707.jpg
Filename
IMG_20211229_105707.jpg
File size
449.37 KiB
Views
File license
CC-BY-4.0

"Hello, my friend. Stay awhile and listen..."
My collection (not up to date)

Reply 1 of 4, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

The density of storage on these is so super low that to store this sentence would overflow onto a second card.

You can read them manually, you've maybe got 2 kilobytes worth, so not a whole lot, but it's probably worth a go to see if you're reading opcodes or names and addresses, program vs somebody's customer list or student directory or something.

Unicorn herding operations are proceeding, but all the totes of hens teeth and barrels of rocking horse poop give them plenty of hiding spots.

Reply 2 of 4, by pentiumspeed

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

And one more thing. First few cards is instructions to do specific calculations is run through to set up the computer, remember these early computer did not have storage at all. Then they run the data cards which computer calculates card by card to create new punch cards or onto tape or printer for result output.

Cheers,

Great Northern aka Canada.

Reply 3 of 4, by snufkin

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Also, some cards (the yellow one) have the contents printed along the edge.

Possible coding information here: https://homepage.divms.uiowa.edu/~jones/cards/codes.html

Given the printing on the cards, there's some connection with SOAP II assembler:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Symbolic_Optima … ssembly_Program
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Symbolic_Optima … _CodingForm.png

Reply 4 of 4, by acl

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Hi,

Thank you for your replies.
I had a better look at the cards yesterday. Unpacked and read everything. I also tried to sort them.
First of all, the previous owner underestimated the count. It's probably around 2000 cards, and not 200.
Some are totally blank (~200 maybe).
About half of them have text contents printed on the side. (as snufkin noticed).
This allowed me to have more information on them.

1. They are standard IBM 80 columns cards. With EBCDIC encoding
    • One card = one line
    • You read them sideways. The "cut" corner is top left
    • Reading :
      • One punch on the column
        • Punch in [0-9] line = a digit 0 to 9
      • Two punches on the column
        • Punch on 1st row (no label) + Another punch in [1-9] line = Character A to I (A=1, B=2... I=9)
        • Punch on 2nd row (no label) + Another punch in [1-9] line = Character J to R (J=1, K=2... R=9)
        • Punch on 3rd row (label 0) + Another punch in [2-9] line (note that line 1 is not used) = Character S to Z (S=2, T=3... z=9)
  2. It's mostly FORTRAN (even if SOAP II is mentioned (PASO 2 in french))
  3. There are some comments and output strings (in French)
    • Seems physics/electrical engineering related programs. (talks about frequencies, Bode plots, ...)
    • Looks like the IBM computer was connected to a plotter to draw graphical results/curves (There are output string saying something like "Place the plotter in the centre of the sheet")
  4. A few have annotations. Like corrections and formulas, hand drawn in the margins

But something bothers me. The cards "decks" are a bit mixed up. And there is no way to tell which ones are from the same program.
Luckily, some have the same colour. And (i don't know how to put it in English) some have markings across the "sides" of the deck.
But most are just shuffled in the box. So it will be very difficult to sort the cards to have a complete program. And the annotations/corrections make me think that the cards may be from a discarded batch.

I will try to build a reader for the cards that are not labelled. Just for curiosity. Some may contain data/strings/names.

"Hello, my friend. Stay awhile and listen..."
My collection (not up to date)