VOGONS

First post, by PC@LIVE

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Here I am with an old topic that I had discussed a long time ago, Socket7 motherboards can be used with CPUs from the FSB over 66MHz, so to speak the maximum on a traditional SocKeT7 (not super) is 400MHz, setting multi 2 = 6X, raising the FSB reaches 450 using 75MHz, and 500 using 83MHz.
But in some motherboards (few) higher FSBs are selectable, one is the shuttle hot-569 which has a 90MHz setting, it is found here:
http://www.fixmylaptopnow.com/gigagon/569_spec.htm
There are others, I remember an ASUS with 108MHz by heart, but I think this setting is not working, while that of the shuttle at 90 can be started, and theoretically it could run a K6 at 540MHz, it would be 40 MHz more than the 500 obtainable by setting FSB83 , but if they worked stably and without creating problems, it wouldn't be too bad for an old MB.
Obviously we would have a problem with the divider 1/2, the PCI would go to 45MHz, a little too high, but if you could find a way to bring the divider to 1/3 we would have 30MHz, and that would be great.
For those who have experiences and memories of FSB beyond 83MHz, it would be very welcome if you can report them here, even ideas or projects are well accepted.

AMD 286-16 287-10 4MB HD 45MB VGA 256KB
AMD 386DX-40 Intel 387 8MB HD 81MB VGA 256KB
Cyrix 486DLC-40 IIT387-40 8MB VGA 512KB
AMD 5X86-133 16MB VGA VLB CL5428 2MB and many others
AMD K62+ 550 SOYO 5EMA+ and many others
AST Pentium Pro 200 MHz L2 256KB

Reply 1 of 3, by PC@LIVE

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Going back to the Intel SKT7 chipset settings, I found the link of the ASUS with FSB 108MHz (although it seems not to work), it is located here:
http://www.wowohl.de/kalle/rev3.htm
The card is an ASUS P / I-P55T2P4 Revision 3.x, and in the site the various combinations of jumpers are explained and tested, you can easily use CPU outputs later, and that the MB is able to support.
Obviously the 108MHz frequency did not work, but this could depend on the divider 1/2 used with all frequencies, if absurdly you could change it to 1/3, the PCI would go to 36MHz, a frequency slightly higher than normal, but very tolerable.
With that frequency you can fantasize about K6 and i430 at 648MHz !, or if you want to stay lower than 594 (5.5X).
Then of course we must also consider other things, the RAM if it supports these frequencies, ditto for the cache, and not least the voltage regulator amperage, at such high frequencies it could give some problems, if it absorbs too many amps it could go into protection during operation.

Reply 2 of 3, by snufkin

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I believe it largely depends on the details of the clock generator. Just found a thread here that includes the HOT-569: Re: Clock generators on Socket 7 and older motherboards

That shows you can have the CPU clock at 83.3MHz, with the PCI clock at either 33MHz or 41.65. Tricky thing for changing the clock gen chip is making sure things are pin compatible. There were loads of small variations in part numbers, with no guarantee of even having the same number of pins, let alone Processor Clock and Bus Clocks on matching pins. Putting together a list of compatible parts would be an effort and I don't know if one exists. The work done documenting part numbers and frequency settings by lazibayer in that thread I linked is a good start.

Actually, just comparing that site you linked on the HOT-569, and the snippet from the datasheet from lazibayer, and the frequencies don't quite match up. You have to reverse the order of the bits in the datasheet, and assume that on='0' and off='1' from the website, and they nearly all match up. Except for the 55MHz and 90MHz options, which are 83/33 and 75/32 in the datasheet. But it might be that they changed the model of the clock generator slightly for the /A version, so the outputs are slightly different.

Reply 3 of 3, by PC@LIVE

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
snufkin wrote on 2021-12-30, 21:52:

I believe it largely depends on the details of the clock generator. Just found a thread here that includes the HOT-569: Re: Clock generators on Socket 7 and older motherboards

That shows you can have the CPU clock at 83.3MHz, with the PCI clock at either 33MHz or 41.65. Tricky thing for changing the clock gen chip is making sure things are pin compatible. There were loads of small variations in part numbers, with no guarantee of even having the same number of pins, let alone Processor Clock and Bus Clocks on matching pins. Putting together a list of compatible parts would be an effort and I don't know if one exists. The work done documenting part numbers and frequency settings by lazibayer in that thread I linked is a good start.

Actually, just comparing that site you linked on the HOT-569, and the snippet from the datasheet from lazibayer, and the frequencies don't quite match up. You have to reverse the order of the bits in the datasheet, and assume that on='0' and off='1' from the website, and they nearly all match up. Except for the 55MHz and 90MHz options, which are 83/33 and 75/32 in the datasheet. But it might be that they changed the model of the clock generator slightly for the /A version, so the outputs are slightly different.

Thank you so much friend for your contribution to this thread.
As always, you have provided me with useful information and I think now unobtainable.
So from what you suggest, by changing the clock generator you can have higher frequencies available than the original one did not allow.
I know that some were able to go beyond 83MHz, replacing the quartz from 14, xx with one from 15, they got almost 90MHz but then there was always the problem of PCI at almost 45MHz, which is not easy to solve.
If switching the clock generator allows a setting of 83 with PCI at 33, that's still a good thing, if you get stability and eliminate the problems due to PCI at 41.5MHz, this would be a good place to start.
Yes, because at this point if we add the change of the clock generator and the one with the 15 quartz, we could get an FSB90 (or almost) and a PCI of almost 36 MHz, that's if other things do not create problems (RAM CACHE or other ), you could have that step beyond 500MHz, and it would probably be more stable than the one with PCI above 41.5MHz.
It would remain to be understood if the regulators and the amps at those frequencies can create problems, from memory on my motherboards those with switching regulators go without problems, but it is true that those with Intel430 chipset I have never made them go beyond 450MHz, we must understand if the chipset could handle frequencies higher enough than normal, the 440BX for example does it quite well.