VOGONS

First post, by Gonduron

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I am building a high-end 486 system. My Asus mainboard can take up to 64 MB RAM. I am aware that 64 MB is way more than I need. 8 or 16 MB was typical around 1994.

Question:
Do you know of any popular DOS game released after 1988 that has trouble with a 64MB setup?

Thanks a lot 😀

My "Pixeli": Intel 486DX4-100 -- Asus VL/I-486SV2GX4 -- 16 MB -- Diamond Stealth64 S3 Vision868 2 MB VLB -- AWE64 Gold -- Roland LAPC-I and SCC-1 -- Adaptec AVA-2825 -- IBM 1 GB SCSI-2 -- Plextor 8x -- Teac 3,5" + 5,25" -- EIZO S2133

Reply 1 of 6, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I think it's stuff that expects to find the VGA framebuffer at 16MB

Unicorn herding operations are proceeding, but all the totes of hens teeth and barrels of rocking horse poop give them plenty of hiding spots.

Reply 2 of 6, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Hi there!

Do you know of any popular DOS game released after 1988 that has trouble with a 64MB setup?

No, not really.

However, please make sure there's enough cache memory installed.
Otherwise, the memory performance will be impaired ("cacheable area").

Also, make sure you use the Himem.sys from MS-DOS 6.x or similar! 😀
Otherwise, XMS memory will be limited to 16 MB.

Another stumbling stone might be the 15-16MB area.
It's at the end of the ISA bus (has 16MB wide address space).

That region sometimes serves a similar purpose as the UMA (640KB-1MB).
Graphics cards and other devices may use it for accesing their buffers, because developers did not expected consumers to have that much memory installed.

So in theory, parts of the memory of your 16-Bit VGA (linear framebuffer etc) could overlap with your system memory.

If that's the case, just enable the "memory hole" option of your CMOS Setup.

Good luck! 🙂🤞

Edit: BitWrangler was quicker! 😃

"Time, it seems, doesn't flow. For some it's fast, for some it's slow.
In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//

Reply 3 of 6, by Plasma

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

The full version of Death Rally won't install if you have 64MB or more (detects negative memory). I remember having to remove memory to install it. There is a patch available though.

Early versions of Duke Nukem 3D Plutonium PAK had the same bug.

Reply 4 of 6, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

That's interesting! Thanks for the information.

If negative numbers appear, maybe the INT15 parameter of Himem.sys could also be used to reduce XMS memory?
It's just a wild guess, though. If it uses DOS4GW etc. it likely would not work. 🙁

"Time, it seems, doesn't flow. For some it's fast, for some it's slow.
In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//

Reply 6 of 6, by mkarcher

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Pinball Fantasies, as it is currently on GoG, uses a custom DOS extender that can't deal with EMM386 loaded (i.e. VCPI) and more than around 48MB installed. Jazz Jackrabit, as it is currently on GoG is based on the Borland Turbo Pascal 7 16-bit DOS extender, and also breaks with 64MB RAM.