VOGONS

First post, by moz2186

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

All, I've never replaced or repaired a ZIF socket. I'm wondering specifically about the socket 3, I've removed the cover/hinge, and have several smashed pins inside. I can remove the entire socket if need be, but I'm wondering if I can replace individual pins instead. I wouldn't need to do so much desoldering that way. I have several possible donor boards for a socket and pins.

Thanks for any insights.

-Moz

Attachments

Last edited by moz2186 on 2022-01-01, 20:54. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 1 of 4, by Sphere478

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
moz2186 wrote on 2022-01-01, 04:26:

All, I've never replaced or repaired a ZIF socket. I'm wondering specifically about the socket 3, I've removed the cover/hinge, and have several smashed pins inside. I can remove the entire socket if need be, but I'm wondering if I can replace individual pins instead. I wouldn't need to do so much desoldering that way. I have several possible donor boards for a socket and pins.

Thanks for any insights.

-Moz

I just got done doing a socket 7 install.

I used a hot air gun and a vacuum cleaner to suck the solder out of the holes. But be careful with the hot air heat because I burned the board a tad.. 😢 but once all the holes were clear I cleaned up the back side which was a mess and the new socket which I bought on ebay just dropped in.

I did the pins by rolling around a solder blob with flux paste using a soldering iron

Sphere's PCB projects.
-
Sphere’s socket 5/7 cpu collection.
-
SUCCESSFUL K6-2+ to K6-3+ Full Cache Enable Mod
-
Tyan S1564S to S1564D single to dual processor conversion (also s1563 and s1562)

Reply 2 of 4, by moz2186

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Sphere478 wrote on 2022-01-01, 04:38:
I just got done doing a socket 7 install. […]
Show full quote
moz2186 wrote on 2022-01-01, 04:26:

Thanks for any insights.

-Moz

I just got done doing a socket 7 install.

I used a hot air gun and a vacuum cleaner to suck the solder out of the holes. But be careful with the hot air heat because I burned the board a tad.. 😢 but once all the holes were clear I cleaned up the back side which was a mess and the new socket which I bought on ebay just dropped in.

I did the pins by rolling around a solder blob with flux paste using a soldering iron

Updated 1st post with a couple pics. I'm thinking I can desolder from the back and pull the pin out then just stick a new one in instead of removing the whole socket, yes? I have hot air and a soldering station but not one specifically for desoldering but am about to purchase one.

Reply 3 of 4, by debs3759

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I used a hot air gun and a vacuum cleaner to suck the solder out of the holes.

Vacuum cleaner? That sound like a real ghetto way of fixing it, unless you are talking about what I know as a solder sucker 😀 Not that I could do much better with the tools I have 😀

See my graphics card database at www.gpuzoo.com
Constantly being worked on. Feel free to message me with any corrections or details of cards you would like me to research and add.

Reply 4 of 4, by Sphere478

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
debs3759 wrote on 2022-01-01, 21:41:

I used a hot air gun and a vacuum cleaner to suck the solder out of the holes.

Vacuum cleaner? That sound like a real ghetto way of fixing it, unless you are talking about what I know as a solder sucker 😀 Not that I could do much better with the tools I have 😀

Basically it worked as a solder sucker for like 10 pins at once. Heat the area then put the vacuum on the back, and remove after it clears the holes and move to next area heat it then hit it agian.

If it was me I would probably try to pull the socket off and pull the pins one by one with a soldering iron.

Heat gun can be tricky trying to do all them at once but it’s possible.

I don’t think it’s worth trying to repair the socket but it’s probably possible.

Sphere's PCB projects.
-
Sphere’s socket 5/7 cpu collection.
-
SUCCESSFUL K6-2+ to K6-3+ Full Cache Enable Mod
-
Tyan S1564S to S1564D single to dual processor conversion (also s1563 and s1562)