VOGONS

First post, by Lorne

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I have been hording this old 386 for many years. Thought it was time to have a go at bringing it back to life. End goal ATM is maybe some form of DOS and using it for trying BBS.
I have pretty limited skills especially around software. I'm a mid 50's guy. Built a few PCs from P4 to LGA775. My favorite OS is XP . I dabbled a wee bit with Ubuntu. Its cool but mounting software was a bit much for me. I registered into this site in 2019 it looks like. But I have never posted.
On this project I plan (so far) to use FreeDOS. So... DOS and 386 pc's were way before my time and am looking for someone to guide me along a bit in this learning process.
So plugged it in and booted it up. I was going to get all fancy and test the PSU first, then it was give it a go with the load limiter in series...... for reasons to many to go into here we ended up just winging it and did a plug it in and see what happens approach. No magic smoke. It sent me directly to the bios because the coin battery on the board was dead. I see a 1.2 meg drive A and no drive C. 386-BIOS (C) 1991 American Megatrends Inc. There is no math co processor . VGA video card Trident chip. 640k of RAM.

I have:
Cleaned the ISA slots and video and storage controller card... Not sure of proper nomenclature. The ISA card that the floppy and HDD plug into.
I tested the HDD power voltages.
Swapped another control card in.
Swapped another HDD in from a AT? Pc. The orig was a seagate ST3144A. I thought it was spinning yesterday... But today not sure. Seems dead. I swapped in a Caviar 2120. It spins and the LED on the front lights up on power up. Still nothing in bios. I downloaded manuals for both HDD's to make sure I had the IDE cable plugged in correct, master jumper etc.
I tried prompting the BIOS to default settings.
I would like to try mounting these HDD's to another PC to see if they function. I tried both HDD's today via a USB adapter and a PC on W10. Got nothing. W10 made that mounting sound on the Caviar. But nothing showed up on file manager. Or under the "This PC" tab. Can W10 even recognize the Partitions on old HDD's?? I think/ assume we are talking FAT16 or something.

So not sure what to try next.. Suggestions?

Is this forum picture friendly? Sometimes a pic is worth .... well you know.

Reply 1 of 7, by debs3759

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Yes, you can add pics. You should be able to add on a new thread, and when replying to a thread you need to click on "Full Editor & Preview", which lets you add and upload a few images (and other files). Not sure if you need a certain number of posts first though, but I think not.

A Win 10 PC should see any partitions or empty drives the same as when you add a new drive. I have no experience of adding drive via a usb adapter, but a usb drive will usually be below your internal drives if formatted, otherwise you might need the disk manager.

See my graphics card database at www.gpuzoo.com
Constantly being worked on. Feel free to message me with any corrections or details of cards you would like me to research and add.

Reply 2 of 7, by Horun

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

No do not post a new thread (that means a new topic in most forums) to add pictures here in this topic/thread...
Just start a new comment here in the "quick reply box" (like: here are the pics) and then click the word "Full editor" below the text box, then click Attachments and then Add files and browse to the .JPG (preferred format of a picture) of less than 1Mb if possible but hi-res.
AFAIK the only limit on new members is ability to to do a PM...

Hate posting a reply and then have to edit it because it made no sense 😁 First computer was an IBM 3270 workstation with CGA monitor. Stuff: https://archive.org/details/@horun

Reply 3 of 7, by debs3759

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

🤣, I wasn't meaning for Lorne to post a new thread, sorry if it looked that way. Was just saying how it can be done.

See my graphics card database at www.gpuzoo.com
Constantly being worked on. Feel free to message me with any corrections or details of cards you would like me to research and add.

Reply 4 of 7, by snufkin

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

In W10 you can right-click on the start button and select 'disk management', which will show all drives connected even if there's no letter assigned. Although I suspect that if it doesn't show a new drive after playing the mounting sound then W10 probably can't see a partition. That's the point I'd probably pull out linux and start playing around with 'dd' to see if there's any data at all.

For non-spinning disks I've seen lots of tales of cooling the disk down, or giving it a twist just as power is applied to try and give the motor a push. Haven't had much luck with those myself. I did have a Seagate U4 (ST34311A? Maybe? One with a weird rubber cover, a lot newer than your Seagate) that wouldn't spin up. I managed to get working again by swapping over its firmware eeprom from the control board of another (I assume the actual disk parameters are stored elsewhere). So non-spinning isn't always hardware. There may also be a fuse or over-voltage device on the board. So it might be possible to make that one work. Photos of the control board might help.

Reply 5 of 7, by Lorne

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

So. After much trials and tribulations. We managed to get into W10's Device manager. It saw the USB adapter but not the Caviar. I rummaged about and found a IDE Western Digi WD800 80Gb Marked Granpas HD. So W10 had no issues with that one. Copied of some files for conservation and went to format. NTFS OR ExFAT. I think FreeDOS wants FAT 32. I thought if I could format the driv off W10 it would be faster.......
The 386 does not see the WD800. I wonder if thats because of the size or file formate?
I'll give Disk Management in W10 a try then maybe look for some utility I can run from W10. fdisk ?

Reply 6 of 7, by Lorne

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Google tells me this. And we all know never doubt Google.

"Why can't I format a 64GB SD card to FAT32?
It is usually due to that your partition is larger than 32GB. Because the default Windows format option only allows the FAT32 partition on drives that are 32GB or less. In other words, Windows built in formatting methods like Disk Management, File Explorer or DiskPart won’t allow you to format 64GB SD card to FAT32."

So perhaps I will format the drive into smaller partitions then see if one partition can be formated to FAT32.
I was googling the BIOS to try and see if there was something to be learned there. But nothing popped up.

Reply 7 of 7, by Lorne

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Ok Noticed something new I had not before. In the BIOS it detected a floppy.... I didn't look close enough. I assumed since the 3.5 was plugged in an d bot the %' that it was seeing a 3.5. No it sees a 5". So looking at the IO card there is a dozen or so jumpers. Anyone have documentation on a Biostar FI33290UIO1012. I'm guessing this is the part model. As far as I have figured out so far.
As to swapping IO cards. I have others. But they are from AT cases, might be some more in the Tandy's or Commodore. Is an ISA IO card interchangeable on any of these?