VOGONS

First post, by kanyero

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi.

Recently one friend gave me this motherboard with a pentium mmx processor. The problem is that the board is missing any cable: Lpt, Com, ps2 or usb.

Usb and ps2 is not a problem since the pinout is reflected in the manual but i can't find any reference to parallel or serial ports pinout.

Someone has more information about this ? I would like to reuse some old cables i have and i would not like to break anything.

Thanks.

Reply 1 of 4, by snufkin

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Can't find them listed anywhere. But at least the serial ports will probably be one of two possible standards, which you can tell by which pin is connected to Ground. If the header is arranged:

2 4 6 8 10
1 3 5 7 9

Then either pin 5 or pin 9 should connect to ground. Have you got a multimeter and some pictures of the motherboard headers and the cables?

Reply 2 of 4, by kanyero

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thanks.

I don't have the cables here atm, but acording to the manual this is the port distribution where it's indicated the pin 1:

X6kF0gi.png

Here is a photo of the headers:

T39tbrE.jpeg

I have a multimeter . I would try to bring here the cables this weekend.

Reply 3 of 4, by snufkin

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Based on the pinout of the 75232 serial drivers then I think the header pinout is header pin number -> 9 pin dsub pin number. So header pin 9 goes to dsub pin 9 (Serial Ring Indicator). If that's right then pin 5 (middle top given the way up the photo is) should be Ground. If you connect a cable to it then pin 5 on the dsub (end of the row with 5) should be Ground.

For the parallel port, I'd guess that one is laid out like a 25pin dsub (fairly common). So the 8 ground wires on dsub pins 18-25 will be on 24,22,20,18,16,14,12,10. Together they should get you most of the way to figuring out the connectors.