VOGONS

First post, by alpm

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi folks, I got this baby AT (quite pretty I must say) that came with severe damage from a leaked battery. It came almost clean and I further cleaned it up (dessoldered din to remove left over leak residue). There is some blue ink hue, as I initially thought it was a good idea to cover the copper with a permanent marker (oops).

Is it alright to leave bare copper exposed? Should I apply some sort of conformal coating?

Attachments

• 20220106_002021.jpg
    Filename
    20220106_002021.jpg
    File size
    1.87 MiB
    Views
    File comment
    Baby AT 486 board from ECS (Tropcomp TRL486DLC-40 sticker on the board back)
    File license
    CC-BY-4.0

Reply 2 of 5, by paradigital

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
wiretap wrote on 2022-01-06, 17:54:

I use UV curable solder mask. Paint it on, then shine a UV flashlight at it for a minute or two.

Same. Search for “conformal coating” to purchase it 😀

Reply 3 of 5, by snufkin

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Is varnish/lacquer/non-breathable paint a bad idea? I figure anything that stops oxygen getting to the copper and making it look like a copper roof. Proper solder mask probably has higher temperature stability and better flexibility to allow soldering without burning/melting or cracking.

Reply 4 of 5, by alpm

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thank you folks! I've just purchased the UV solder mask stuff (UVH900). Once I apply it in the board (after a little more cleaning) I will post an update here.

Reply 5 of 5, by wiretap

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
paradigital wrote on 2022-01-06, 18:39:
wiretap wrote on 2022-01-06, 17:54:

I use UV curable solder mask. Paint it on, then shine a UV flashlight at it for a minute or two.

Same. Search for “conformal coating” to purchase it 😀

Solder mask and conformal coating are two different things. Conformal coating goes over the top of the solder mask and components to protect the board in harsh environments (i.e. moisture/chemicals). There are several different types of conformal coating too -- some are pretty nasty and contain carcinogens.

My Github
Circuit Board Repair Manuals