VOGONS

First post, by Gabriel-LG

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

As a Windows 98 SE enthusiast, one of my machines is a maxed out Windows 98 SE machine.
Since Socket Core 2 duo motherboards with AGP are very rare, I have settled for an Opteron 148 with an AGP Geforce 6800 LE. I am very happy with the system and its performance, until I discovered something.

Although intel dropped support for Windows 98 SE with the introduction of PCI-e, VIA did not.
VIA's Core 2 Duo PCI-express chipsets are fully supported under windows 98 and lots of boards are available for cheap. Also 1st gen PCI-express GPU's are much easier to come by.
So, time for an upgrade 😀

Now what confuses me, is whether the PCI-express version of the Geforce 6800 series (NV45) is supported under windows 98 or not. Does anyone here have experience with NV45 support under Win98SE?

Last edited by Stiletto on 2022-01-06, 23:24. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 1 of 3, by fosterwj03

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I have a 6800 GS working with Windows 9x, but the system has a lot of stability issues. Nvidia supported PCIE cards in the 60-series GeForce drivers for Windows 9x. You might need to add the PCI ID for your specific card to the .Inf file to get the installer to run.

I prefer the ATI Radeon x800 (also PCIE) for Windows 98/Me. Much better performance than the 6800 GS, and the drivers have much better stability.

Reply 2 of 3, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Windows 9x should not care about PCIe, even if there aren't specific Windows 9x .inf files to identify them.

If you look at the Intel chipset drivers, they are just .inf files to identify them in Device Manager.

There are actually Intel chipset "drivers" up to ICH10 available for Windows 98:
https://msfn.org/board/topic/97588-modern-mot … ussion/page/14/

On the Nvidia side, the GeForce 7900GTX, which is PCIe works with Win98SE.

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 3 of 3, by Gabriel-LG

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
fosterwj03 wrote on 2022-01-06, 23:03:

I have a 6800 GS working with Windows 9x, but the system has a lot of stability issues. Nvidia supported PCIE cards in the 60-series GeForce drivers for Windows 9x. You might need to add the PCI ID for your specific card to the .Inf file to get the installer to run.

I prefer the ATI Radeon x800 (also PCIE) for Windows 98/Me. Much better performance than the 6800 GS, and the drivers have much better stability.

Good to know, the 6800's are much easier to find. So I think I will go pick up a 6800 and keep an eye out for an X800/X850 (they seem to be harder to come by).

cyclone3d wrote on 2022-01-07, 01:59:

Windows 9x should not care about PCIe, even if there aren't specific Windows 9x .inf files to identify them.

If you look at the Intel chipset drivers, they are just .inf files to identify them in Device Manager.

Wow, you just sent me down a whole new rabbit hole 😉
I always thought that PCIe host bridge required a different driver. But it turns out to be just a superset of the PCI host bridge (from the software perspective that is).
I knew that PCIe-PCI (hardware) bridges existed, but I always assumed that they needed some driver. But it turns out PCI devices connected to these bridges can even provide their own option ROMs to the BIOS. My mind is now officially blown 😖

This means that by using a PCIe-PCI bridge, add some signal buffering and power supply circuitry, it would be possible to create an PCIe-AGP convertor card. Such a convertor could provide AGP2x bandwidth (albeit without side banding). A PCIe-PCIX convertor might even work, to provide AGP4x bandwith (I am not sure if PCIX can do 32-bit 133Mhz).
Any AGP VGA card should boot up just fine...

cyclone3d wrote on 2022-01-07, 01:59:

On the Nvidia side, the GeForce 7900GTX, which is PCIe works with Win98SE.

I have heard this before, but it seems that the Geforce 7000 series are quite buggy under Win98SE. There is only a single beta driver from nVidia with Win98 and Geforce 7000 support. After that, nVidia stopped all Win9x driver development.