VOGONS

First post, by AST-AUTISMO

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I have some ISA network cards and I'd like to try figuring out which is best or if none are great, buy one that would be. I don't really know how I would test them, so I was hoping someone can offer some feedback.

I have:
3Com 509
D-Link DE-220
Some generic card that just says NE2000 on it with a Novell sticker.

The machine is a Pentium 200 non-mmx on triton-based board, in windows 95. Dos compatibility is not a factor for me.

Are there any chipsets/cards known to be way better? (Intel for example?) Or are all ISA network cards going to pretty much perform the same on this type of machine?

Reply 1 of 4, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

1. Do you not have any available PCI slots?

2. I would look at this thread:
Why are 3Com NICs in such high regard?

3. Back in the day, I found the best PCI cards as far as CPU usage and throughput were the 3COM Parallel Tasking and Parallel Tasking II cards.

For ISA though... uggghhh. If you are doing anything else that uses the ISA bus at the same time it is going to kill performance.

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 2 of 4, by polpo

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Of the three that you have, the 3com is definitely the best. The D-Link is NE2000 based so it will perform the same as the other NE2000 card.

With the speed of machine that you have, you may not see much perceived performance difference at 10Mbps, but you’ll probably see less CPU usage with the 3com.

Reply 3 of 4, by AST-AUTISMO

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thanks guys. No unfortunately PCI situation is rough. Only 2 slots, so I need to choose between a good 2d card, voodoo, USB or ethernet, or end up with a voodoo banshee, but then it's still a decision to be made between USB and ethernet.

Don't plan to do much on the network side, this is more for convenience as the machine has no easy way to transfer large files, but I will stick with the 3com for now.

Regarding the Intel cards, are they better than 3com? They seem to go for a premium on eBay.

Very interesting thready linked also, thanks. Reading now. Surprised to see the Intel Pro100 getting passed by the 3Com