VOGONS

Reply 42 of 81, by oso2k

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thinking out loud....I wonder if something using two Ls would be plausible, easier to print. Maybe something with through holes or somethgin that allowed a finished 275x275x5mm flat surface to be installed over it.

Reply 43 of 81, by wiretap

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

There are easily a dozen or more ways to make covers/lids for this. It's best just to try out something and see how it goes. With the U-design I'm printing right now, it is the motherboard side, top and bottom. Then all that is needed is a single sheet of clear plexi for the case window, and a rear plate for the card slots that can be designed last.

My Github
Circuit Board Repair Manuals

Reply 45 of 81, by wiretap

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

It fits perfect, minus a few screw hole offsets. I'll correct those and then upload the Sketchup/STL files.

edit: attached to post #2 of this thread.

PXL_20220928_131148386.jpg
Filename
PXL_20220928_131148386.jpg
File size
478.7 KiB
Views
File license
CC-BY-4.0

My Github

Reply 47 of 81, by wiretap

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

No mount patterns. They can easily be added though. I am just going to superglue the standoff STL's into place. I have used that method before in other cases instead of drilling/tapping, and it works well.

The U-shape cover is probably only big enough for a SBC backplane though. The drive bays are very close to the back wall, and it isn't likely a big motherboard would fit behind.

My Github

Reply 48 of 81, by oso2k

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Yeah. The case is just tall enough for an mATX (244x244mm) or MiniITX (170x170mm) board. A regular ATX PSU will be somewhere around 150x86x140mm. I want to build several "NuRetro" emulation RasperberryPi 3B, 4B or OW will be plenty of power for the things I'm considering. I also want to build one of those new XT machines so this case will also likely fit. The homebreww8088 is roughly 182x170mm for instance. I'll likely have to use a PicoPSU, especially considering where the drives will lay in the case.

Reply 49 of 81, by pan069

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Nice work!

I don't think that I have ever seen a floppy drive with a logo embossed on the bezel... 🤔 It is original or 3d printed as well?

Edit: I just see someone posting this Turbo/Reset button caps for 486 baby AT case Really, I have never noticed it before but I guess now its going to pop up everywhere, cannot unsee from now on 😆

Last edited by pan069 on 2022-09-28, 19:11. Edited 2 times in total.

Reply 55 of 81, by oso2k

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

So I'm running out of PLA. A 1kg spool of Inland Bone White is not quite enough to print all 3 pieces. I'm going to have to test the Pause/Resume feature of my Guide II until the new spool I ordered comes in tomorrow.

Attachments

Reply 57 of 81, by oso2k

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Did a quick test and I'm getting layer shifting but not horribly. I plan to print a couple more shells anyways. And my PicoTurboXT (working name) is waking up.

Attachments

Reply 59 of 81, by oso2k

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Veeb0rg wrote on 2022-10-01, 06:05:

Where does the board sit inside this thing?

For now there's standoffs. You could drill out the shell to mATX or miniITX or something else. Then you could use regular PC standoffs.