VOGONS

CF questions

Topic actions

First post, by Danfun64

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I had recently purchased an 8GB CF card from Transcend. Unfortunately, I ended up buying one that was set to "Removable" instead of "Fixed", and it seems for that reason the old laptop that I'm using it in doesn't like it. Is it possible to change this value, or should I get an Industrial one instead?

On a related note, I'm thinking of either getting this or this as a replacement, with the former being a TS8GCF100I and the latter being a TS8GCF170. However, looking on Transcend's website it appears that the former isn't made anymore, so at best I'd be dealing with new old stock. I don't know how this would affect the liability or the lifespan. On the other hand, the former is SLC while the latter is MLC, so all other things being equal the former would be more reliable.

The last question is a bit of paranoia. I recently returned a 32GB CF card on Amazon (it was too big for certain OS installation programs and displayed negative values in the BIOS). I'm worried that if I return the 8GB card Amazon might complain. Do you think returning the 8GB card will get me into trouble with Amazon?