VOGONS

First post, by Skip94

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi all
Got given a PC Chips M912 a while back, which I'd quite like to use for a 486 DX4 build.
However it is one of those boards with the fake cache.
Having first checked that all the traces do actually seem to go somewhere, rather than just being for decoration, I desoldered all the chips and replaced them with sockets. I also desoldered all the wire link jumpers and fitted pin headers for proper jumpers.
Fitted some cache chips from another 486 board I have and... Nothing...
Cachechk still reports only the 8k L1 cache.
I'd seen lots of talk of the BIOS needing changing to work with real cache, so I downloaded 5 or 6 different BIOS images off of the net and broke out the EPROM programmer.
Of these, 2 work, but without the L2 cache and the rest don't even POST.
Does anyone have any more thoughts?
Cheers
Andrew

Reply 1 of 9, by creepingnet

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

My Moondog whitebox 486 DX4 has one of those M912s with a real Cache on it that works.

Typically the way to tell is if the chips are socketed or not, and to see if the cache traces on the motherboard lead to other components, or if they just loop back into themselves. I also have a (dead) Pc Chips M919 with fake Cache and the propreitary Cache module slot on it. the Cache on that one loops around back into the plastic chips, which say "Write Back Cache" on them (lol).

My Moondog is a pretty decent machine, not as fast as the FIC 486-PVT my main DX4 has, but it does great for what it is.

~The Creeping Network~
My Youtube Channel - https://www.youtube.com/creepingnet
Creepingnet's World - https://creepingnet.neocities.org/
The Creeping Network Repo - https://www.geocities.ws/creepingnet2019/

Reply 2 of 9, by Skip94

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
creepingnet wrote on 2022-01-11, 22:34:

My Moondog whitebox 486 DX4 has one of those M912s with a real Cache on it that works.

Typically the way to tell is if the chips are socketed or not, and to see if the cache traces on the motherboard lead to other components, or if they just loop back into themselves. I also have a (dead) Pc Chips M919 with fake Cache and the propreitary Cache module slot on it. the Cache on that one loops around back into the plastic chips, which say "Write Back Cache" on them (lol).

My Moondog is a pretty decent machine, not as fast as the FIC 486-PVT my main DX4 has, but it does great for what it is.

My chips were obvious fakes, "Writeback cache" written on them. They were soldered directly to the board. The traces all head off to the chipset though.
What suprises me more is that a lot of the BIOS images I can find online cause it to not even start. With them there is no activity on a POST card.
Andrew

Reply 3 of 9, by Horun

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Which version of the M912 is it ? There are two (1.4 and 1.7) and they are slightly different..look by the Keyboard connector it should have a V #.
Can you post a good picture of the board ?

Hate posting a reply and then have to edit it because it made no sense 😁 First computer was an IBM 3270 workstation with CGA monitor. Stuff: https://archive.org/details/@horun

Reply 4 of 9, by Skip94

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Horun wrote on 2022-01-12, 04:41:

Which version of the M912 is it ? There are two (1.4 and 1.7) and they are slightly different..look by the Keyboard connector it should have a V #.
Can you post a good picture of the board ?

Apologies, I should have said. Its a V1.7 board. I'm at work currently, but will post some photos when home.
Andrew

Reply 5 of 9, by Skip94

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Here are some pictures.
Andrew

Attachments

Reply 6 of 9, by majestyk

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I assume you did the jumpering like this:

m912_cache.JPG
Filename
m912_cache.JPG
File size
41.02 KiB
Views
File license
Public domain

According to the manual TAG RAM must be populated with a 256K (32Kx8) chip. Have you tried this?

m912_tag.JPG
Filename
m912_tag.JPG
File size
36.24 KiB
Views
File license
Public domain

In your picture there´s a 128K = (16Kx8) chip as TAG-RAM, which in the PC-Chips manual is documented in none of the supported configurations.

It´s a pity you´re restricted to 256K of cache in total with DIL 28 sockets in BANK1. You could go for 512K or even 1Mb with DIL 32.

Reply 7 of 9, by Skip94

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
majestyk wrote on 2022-01-12, 08:25:
I assume you did the jumpering like this: […]
Show full quote

I assume you did the jumpering like this:

m912_cache.JPG

According to the manual TAG RAM must be populated with a 256K (32Kx8) chip. Have you tried this?

m912_tag.JPG

In your picture there´s a 128K = (16Kx8) chip as TAG-RAM, which in the PC-Chips manual is documented in none of the supported configurations.

It´s a pity you´re restricted to 256K of cache in total with DIL 28 sockets in BANK1. You could go for 512K or even 1Mb with DIL 32.

Hi
Yes, the jumpers are set as per the manual. Good call on the 128K tag chip though, I must have got mixed up, I'll swap that out.
I have also tried the 256k A configuration with 9x 32k x8 chips, again, jumpered as per the manual.
Every time it just behaves as if the cache just isn't there, no errors etc, just boots into DOS, with Cachechk reporting just the L1 cache.
Andrew

Reply 8 of 9, by majestyk

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Do all chips have power supply between Vss and Vdd?
I would also check for damaged traces very carefully.

I had many cases of cache-problems, often BIOS reports "faulty cache" or a wrong cache size when single traces are interrupted or resistor arrays are broken, it´s a strange thing BIOS is reporting nothing at all here.

Reply 9 of 9, by Skip94

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi
Sorry its taken a while, I've been very busy
All sockets have Vcc and Vss where expected.
No sign of broken traces. I'm fairly certain its a BIOS issue now...
Andrew