VOGONS

First post, by mikeyp

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I have an IBM PC XT 5160 (See here if you want to see it in action: https://www.reddit.com/r/pcmasterrace/comment … with_a_true_pc/)

The main floppy drive is a little unreliable. I believe I need to spend some time cleaning and oiling the rails and stepper motor bearings but that's a job for another day.

I've obtained and got working a IBM 4869 external 360k floppy drive. I've configured it by putting the following in config.sys: DEVICE=C:\DOS\DRIVER.SYS /d:3

It appears as drive F (C, D and E are partitions on the CF card and MFM HDD), can read, write, format disks etc. but I am unable to use Disk Copy Fast to write disk images. I just throws an error saying the "diskette drive is not ready".

Have I missed something here or is this an issue with it being controlled by the driver rather than the BIOS? Internally the switches are set to 1 drive because of the known issues with XT-IDE adapters and the switches set to 3/4 diskette drives.

Thanks in advance.

Michael

Reply 1 of 10, by maxtherabbit

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I'm not familiar with Disk Copy Fast, but it is very common for software that writes directly to the FDC to be hardcoded to only support A and B drives

Reply 4 of 10, by maxtherabbit

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Let me clarify, it doesn't matter what the logical drive letters are. Only the unit numbers on the FDC interface (0 and 1)

The 4869 is hardwired to always be unit 3

Reply 6 of 10, by mikeyp

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Ok, it was configured for 2 drives, but configuring switches 7 and 8 on per single drive in the manual doesn't change the situation. The main floppy drive now answers to both A: and B: and the external drive still configures and responds as F:.

Reply 7 of 10, by maxtherabbit

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
mikeyp wrote on 2022-01-12, 20:20:

Ok, it was configured for 2 drives, but configuring switches 7 and 8 on per single drive in the manual doesn't change the situation. The main floppy drive now answers to both A: and B: and the external drive still configures and responds as F:.

nothing you do with the switches will change your situation, that piece of software is simply not going to work that that drive

Reply 8 of 10, by weedeewee

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

switches 7 & 8 ?
as on the dip switch on the mainboard of your computer?
as in the two switches that tell the bios how many floppy drives the computer should have?

Right to repair is fundamental. You own it, you're allowed to fix it.
How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Do not ask Why !
https://www.vogonswiki.com/index.php/Serial_port

Reply 9 of 10, by mikeyp

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
maxtherabbit wrote on 2022-01-13, 15:13:

nothing you do with the switches will change your situation, that piece of software is simply not going to work that that drive

Actually it does work! I realised when you said it was hardwired to always be unit 3, i.e. the 4th drive, that DCF was mapping F: to unit 2, the 3rd drive. Selecting drive 4 as below worked! Don't know why I didn't try it before.

image0 (2).jpeg
Filename
image0 (2).jpeg
File size
54.89 KiB
Views
File license
Public domain
weedeewee wrote on 2022-01-13, 15:50:
switches 7 & 8 ? as on the dip switch on the mainboard of your computer? as in the two switches that tell the bios how many fl […]
Show full quote

switches 7 & 8 ?
as in the two switches that tell the bios how many floppy drives the computer should have?

Correct. Switches 7-8 need to be configured for 1 drive in my system as there is 1 internal drive. There is a known issue with configuring it for 3-4 drives when the XT-IDE is present. Thankfully the above line in config.sys gets around that.

Reply 10 of 10, by maxtherabbit

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
mikeyp wrote on 2022-01-14, 10:45:
Actually it does work! I realised when you said it was hardwired to always be unit 3, i.e. the 4th drive, that DCF was mapping F […]
Show full quote
maxtherabbit wrote on 2022-01-13, 15:13:

Actually it does work! I realised when you said it was hardwired to always be unit 3, i.e. the 4th drive, that DCF was mapping F: to unit 2, the 3rd drive. Selecting drive 4 as below worked! Don't know why I didn't try it before.

image0 (2).jpeg

weedeewee wrote on 2022-01-13, 15:50:
switches 7 & 8 ? as on the dip switch on the mainboard of your computer? as in the two switches that tell the bios how many fl […]
Show full quote

switches 7 & 8 ?

Correct. Switches 7-8 need to be configured for 1 drive in my system as there is 1 internal drive. There is a known issue with configuring it for 3-4 drives when the XT-IDE is present. Thankfully the above line in config.sys gets around that.

lmao I stand corrected, sort of

wish you had posted that screenshot in the OP I would have told you straight away 😀