VOGONS

First post, by 386SX

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Hello,

I'm testing this config with different cards and this early P3-600 with the old core is the fastest, latest cpu supported by this ECS mainboard. Something that surprised me is that from a situation of idle in the desktop and a stressing 3D enviroment the final computer power requirement is incredibly different. Like 44 watts in idle and 70 watts and more in 3D. Without using any disc drives. I'm sure the early AGP cards I'm trying can't be the reason cause I think they might work with only few watts without heatsinks. So I was wondering if these CPU had already internally some automatic clock adjustment to save current or what?
Thanks

Reply 1 of 3, by majestyk

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Afaik the power consumption (and heat generation) is not only dependant of the frequency but as well of the number of transistors that are currently active. Since there are millions of transistors inside a CPU this makes the difference.

Reply 2 of 3, by Disruptor

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

CPU power dissipation is increased by voltage to square and linear to frequency. And it decreases with structure size.
That are the basic rules.
But there are leak powers and more that affect this not so easy calculation.

A major development has been with the Pentium 3 mobile chipsets, where they have started with speed step.
During the Pentium 4 fail the Pentium 3 mobile has been developed to the Pentium M and the result were the early Core processors which introduced speed step on desktop processors.
Yes, I am aware that Windows uses the halt instruction if the computer is idle. But speed step is another thing 😀

Reply 3 of 3, by 386SX

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

It's interesting cause the same watt difference is seen during a memtest run (72 watts at the wall plug). So the videocard, the hard disk, cd readers etc.. while powered can't be the reason. I suppose internally the Pentium III already slowdown itself in idle even the early core on these old chipsets. Can't remember in which way.