VOGONS

First post, by rkurbatov

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hello there!

I've got a "new" CPU - i80486 DX2 66 with a problem I've just noticed.

There is an alloy on lots of CPU pins for some reason. And it doesn't look like somebody wanted to repair the pins. Like it's an alloy on pin, not the pin attachment. On some of them it's located close to the tip of the pin so the CPU cannot be put into the socket.

Can i fix that? If I want to remove it, what temperature should I use? I have very basic soldering skills.

Thank you in advance.

Attachments

486: ECS UM486 VLB, 256kb cache, i486 DX2/66, 8MB RAM, Trident TGUI9440AGi VLB 1MB, Pro Audio Spectrum 16, FDD 3.5, ZIP 100 ATA
PII: Asus P2B, Pentium II 400MHz, 512MB RAM, Trident 9750 AGP 4MB, Voodoo2 SLI, MonsterSound MX300

Reply 1 of 11, by majestyk

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

This is probably not "new" but has been soldered into some pcb in the past from where it has been removed with hot air or in a solder bath.
We don´t know if it has survived this procedure and if it´s still workin at all.

I´m afraid just using a soldering iron and a good flux (plus spending some considerable time) will not remove the solder completely enough so you can insert it into a regular socket.
My first idea was to use some acid that dissolves the tin but leaves gold undamaged, but it would probably damage the ceramic CPU-body as soon as it gets in contact.

Reply 2 of 11, by rkurbatov

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I am surprised as it's certainly socketed CPU. Were they also soldered?

I don't need to clean every pin, so I'll try desoldering wire. There is nothing to lose anyway.

486: ECS UM486 VLB, 256kb cache, i486 DX2/66, 8MB RAM, Trident TGUI9440AGi VLB 1MB, Pro Audio Spectrum 16, FDD 3.5, ZIP 100 ATA
PII: Asus P2B, Pentium II 400MHz, 512MB RAM, Trident 9750 AGP 4MB, Voodoo2 SLI, MonsterSound MX300

Reply 3 of 11, by ChrisK

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I also have a TI 486dx-2 that was once directly soldered in a PCB. Must have been in a laptop or something.
Unfortunately it is very difficult to get rid of the solder remnants on the pins.
Trying to "clean" it with some solder wire and flux is the best you can do, afaik. But don't heat up the individual pins too much.

Reply 4 of 11, by weedeewee

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Yes, Good solderwick will be a way to remove the too much of solder left on the pins.

Right to repair is fundamental. You own it, you're allowed to fix it.
How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Do not ask Why !
https://www.vogonswiki.com/index.php/Serial_port

Reply 5 of 11, by rkurbatov

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Will try. Do I need additional flux or there is enough one that is on wick?

Reply 6 of 11, by weedeewee

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

depends on the wick,
Good solder wick tends to have some flux and is a braid made from very thin wires, like hair thin.
I once bought a few rolls of wick from china and they were horrible, thick wire, no flux.

Right to repair is fundamental. You own it, you're allowed to fix it.
How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Do not ask Why !
https://www.vogonswiki.com/index.php/Serial_port

Reply 7 of 11, by mkarcher

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
rkurbatov@gmail.com wrote on 2022-01-17, 16:55:

Will try. Do I need additional flux or there is enough one that is on wick?

If you are lucky the flux on the wick is sufficient. Flux also acts as thermal transfer agent (like heatsink compound), helping to get the pins hot enough so the solder melts faster and flows into the wick. So even if you happen to have good and fresh wick with enough flux it readily takes molten solder, extra flux might help melting the solder. If you have extra flux at hand, give it a try. Make sure you are using electronic grade resin-based ("acid free") flux, preferably no-clean flux. While amonium-chloride based flux is chemically very effective, you get hydroscopic residues that tend to get conducting. Don't use flux like this on electronics unless you plan very thourough cleaning of everything touched by the flux.

Reply 8 of 11, by rkurbatov

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Thank you, guys!

Reply 10 of 11, by rkurbatov

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Yeah, I gave up in a while and ordered another one.

Reply 11 of 11, by rkurbatov

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I've bought a desoldering tool (not the manual one but one with heater and a small pump) - and it worked. Despite I treated it so badly, I managed to remove most of the solder and straighten the pins. Will test it, for sure, but to my surprise the system booted with it.