VOGONS

First post, by mrfusion92

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hi, I have a MSI MS-6524 motherboard with a P4 installed. I have two issues: first one and most annoying is that fans are always spinning at max speed!

Right from power on, the cpu and chassis fans are spinning at 100%. CPU one reaches 5300 RPM and since it is also tiny, it's very loud!
With SpeedFan I can set manually the speed but it's very annyoing to have to do that. I've checked BIOS and can't find any setting. I've tried with other fans and they are maxed too.

So the mobo has issues I guess? Everything else works perfectly fine.

Second issue is with this ethernet card that isn't recognized at all. The card is an IBM Pro 10/100 CAEP304005.

s-l1600-2.jpg

I've tried it in another motherboard (Asrock P4VM800, so still a P4) but same result. It's like the card isn't even there.
But if I connect an eth cable the LEDs turn on normally. I'm fairly certain that it still works, I bought it 10+ years ago and I used it in my old PIII pc for a couple of years, after that it was kept away properly.
I guess there is some incompatibility? I can't find what type of PCI it is, but since the extra contacts should be a 64 bit one?

Reply 1 of 5, by Horun

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
mrfusion92 wrote on 2022-01-22, 19:23:
Second issue is with this ethernet card that isn't recognized at all. The card is an IBM Pro 10/100 CAEP304005. I've tried it in […]
Show full quote

Second issue is with this ethernet card that isn't recognized at all. The card is an IBM Pro 10/100 CAEP304005.
I've tried it in another motherboard (Asrock P4VM800, so still a P4) but same result. It's like the card isn't even there.
But if I connect an eth cable the LEDs turn on normally. I'm fairly certain that it still works, I bought it 10+ years ago and I used it in my old PIII pc for a couple of years, after that it was kept away properly.
I guess there is some incompatibility? I can't find what type of PCI it is, but since the extra contacts should be a 64 bit one?

It is a 5 volt only PCI with a partial 64 bit tab so it will only work in a 64bit PCI slot. I am guessing the back little tab hangs outside the PCI slot on your board ?

Hate posting a reply and then have to edit it because it made no sense 😁 First computer was an IBM 3270 workstation with CGA monitor. Stuff: https://archive.org/details/@horun

Reply 2 of 5, by pancakepuppy

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
mrfusion92 wrote on 2022-01-22, 19:23:
Hi, I have a MSI MS-6524 motherboard with a P4 installed. I have two issues: first one and most annoying is that fans are always […]
Show full quote

Hi, I have a MSI MS-6524 motherboard with a P4 installed. I have two issues: first one and most annoying is that fans are always spinning at max speed!

Right from power on, the cpu and chassis fans are spinning at 100%. CPU one reaches 5300 RPM and since it is also tiny, it's very loud!
With SpeedFan I can set manually the speed but it's very annyoing to have to do that. I've checked BIOS and can't find any setting. I've tried with other fans and they are maxed too.

So the mobo has issues I guess? Everything else works perfectly fine.

s-l1600-2.jpg

The network card isn't truly a PCI NIC, but a Fast Ethernet physical layer transceiver on a card which intends to leverage an ethernet controller on the mainboard. Looks like the NetVista A40 motherboard has a weird extended PCI slot that the card fits into and the extended part has the "LAN Connect Interface" signals for the 82562ET LAN PHY on the card.

Reply 3 of 5, by PC Hoarder Patrol

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Which BIOS version are you on (latest seems to be v1.7), There was a fix introduced with v1.3 for "system cannot detect low speed system fan of around 2000 to 2500 RPM" - maybe this is having some effect on your particular fan(s)

Reply 4 of 5, by Doornkaat

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

BIOS fan speed control slowly became a feature during the S462/478 era. It is possible this board does not have this feature and always has its fans runnin at max speed. Maybe there's some tool to calibrate fan speeds once booted into OS?

Reply 5 of 5, by mrfusion92

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Horun wrote on 2022-01-23, 02:46:

It is a 5 volt only PCI with a partial 64 bit tab so it will only work in a 64bit PCI slot. I am guessing the back little tab hangs outside the PCI slot on your board ?

Yes, indeed it hangs outside.

pancakepuppy wrote on 2022-01-23, 03:08:

The network card isn't truly a PCI NIC, but a Fast Ethernet physical layer transceiver on a card which intends to leverage an ethernet controller on the mainboard. Looks like the NetVista A40 motherboard has a weird extended PCI slot that the card fits into and the extended part has the "LAN Connect Interface" signals for the 82562ET LAN PHY on the card.

Oh damn you are absolutely right! With your post you opened my mind and now I remember more, indeed I had a NetVista PC with this card! The card that I remember to have bought was an Edimax and it was for a HP Vectra, but then I think I don't have it anymore... sigh

Well at least this mistery is solved!

PC Hoarder Patrol wrote on 2022-01-23, 07:41:

Which BIOS version are you on (latest seems to be v1.7), There was a fix introduced with v1.3 for "system cannot detect low speed system fan of around 2000 to 2500 RPM" - maybe this is having some effect on your particular fan(s)

Yes, the v1.7 is the latest, i've forgotten to write it in the OP but already updated and nothing changed!

Doornkaat wrote on 2022-01-23, 08:20:

BIOS fan speed control slowly became a feature during the S462/478 era. It is possible this board does not have this feature and always has its fans runnin at max speed. Maybe there's some tool to calibrate fan speeds once booted into OS?

I've already installed the drivers downloaded from MSI site, there seems to be no tool with them. The other 478 board (the asrock P4VM800) doesn't have this issue, so i guess you are probably right.