VOGONS

First post, by atom1kk

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hi,

when I start my PC from windows 98 into the DOS mode my USB Keyboard and Mouse are not recognized, but on pc boot for example i can use the keyboard to go intio the bios.

Do I need extra drivers for dos?

Reply 1 of 7, by gladders

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Likely so yes. What model keyboard and mouse? Have you tried the manufacturers' website?

It's possible the manufacturer never *bothered* making DOS drivers for USB though...by the time USB entered mainstream DOS was ancient history.

Even then you'll likely get very patchy results application-to-application. Does your motherboard have a serial port? Or a PS/2 one? Find a keyboard and mouse for those.

Reply 2 of 7, by dormcat

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Be sure to enable Legacy USB Support for both keyboard and mouse in BIOS; some BIOS have those options disabled by default. Furthermore, after booting into DOS you'll need mouse driver (such as mouse.com 8.20 for Microsoft mice) as well.

Reply 4 of 7, by gladders

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

DOS and W98 are still separate ecosystems. Most of the time they don't interact. You need separate drivers for both nearly every time.

Have you tried running the game in DOS compatibility mode within W98? That *might* work - it's kind of like Windows using DOS as a hand puppet.

Reply 6 of 7, by BeastOfSoda

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I know this is not what you want to hear, but the only way to go is with PS2 devices. Even when you think USB mostly works, there will be cases when a game will not play ball with it: I used to have weird issues where pressing keys or even moving the mouse would cause the computer to freeze up, all of which were solved by using USB devices known to be compatible with the PS2 protocol via adapter. And while playing DOS games under a Windows terminal is a passable way to go about it, you will run into even more audio and video compatibility issues, so the trade-off is probably not worth it.