VOGONS

First post, by Geofand26

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Yesterday I was installing a HDD when my PC Chips m577 motherboard died. It looks like a capacitor/resistor (?) leaked. On the board it's C21 but had a black 0(zero) on it like a resistor. I don't know what it is and what to actually buy for a repair. Can someone help?

Screenshot_2022-01-28-09-30-09-182_com.miui.gallery.jpg
Filename
Screenshot_2022-01-28-09-30-09-182_com.miui.gallery.jpg
File size
137.82 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception
IMG_20220127_103713.jpg
Filename
IMG_20220127_103713.jpg
File size
978.19 KiB
Views
File license

Reply 1 of 30, by Sphere478

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

0 stands for 0 ohms

You should be able to solder it shut

Best I can see, that pad is set up in a T configuration to where you could put the link in one of three ways, or it ‘s meant to hold a link or a three legged component of some type, my bet is it’s set up as a switch, and that bridge is the one the designers chose. (Leave it that way)

But yeah, a solder bridge would replace that.

But I think your problem may be elsewhere, because, how exactly do you burn out a 0 ohm link, with 0 ohms the energy is going elsewhere.

I’m thinking the link may still be 0ohms (test it)

And that something else or just the capacitor is shot.

Last edited by Sphere478 on 2022-01-28, 08:53. Edited 1 time in total.

Sphere's PCB projects.
-
Sphere’s socket 5/7 cpu collection.
-
SUCCESSFUL K6-2+ to K6-3+ Full Cache Enable Mod
-
Tyan S1564S to S1564D single to dual processor conversion (also s1563 and s1562)

Reply 2 of 30, by Doornkaat

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

That's a 0 Ohm resistor. It's like a soldered jumper.
The silk screen marking is probably 'D21' (instead of C21) and referrs to a diode that may be installed in its place. (There's a third solder pad above the resistor and three legs are marked.)

There's probably another fault on this motherboard since it is not likely (though not unthinkable) that a resistor like that just goes up in flames.

Reply 3 of 30, by Geofand26

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Doornkaat wrote on 2022-01-28, 08:49:

That's a 0 Ohm resistor. It's like a soldered jumper.
The silk screen marking is probably 'D21' (instead of C21) and referrs to a diode that may be installed in its place. (There's a third solder pad above the resistor and three legs are marked.)

There's probably another fault on this motherboard since it is not likely (though not unthinkable) that a resistor like that just goes up in flames.

Its C21 for sure and the third pad isnt used for anything at least from what i can see. There wasnt anything else that popped or exploded of fried anywhere on the board. Could be the bios chip cuz its nearby. Gonna take it to a local repair this afternoon(in my country) and will see what he has to say. If he cant do anything i will try to just remove it and put a blob on it

Reply 4 of 30, by Geofand26

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Sphere478 wrote on 2022-01-28, 08:47:
0 stands for 0 ohms […]
Show full quote

0 stands for 0 ohms

Best I can see, that pad is set up in a T configuration to where you could put the link in one of three ways, or it ‘s meant to hold a link or a three legged component of some type, my bet is it’s set up as a switch, and that bridge is the one the designers chose. (Leave it that way)

But I think your problem may be elsewhere, because, how exactly do you burn out a 0 ohm link, with 0 ohms the energy is going elsewhere.

What do you mean by "the capacitor is shot"?

Reply 5 of 30, by TrashPanda

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Geofand26 wrote on 2022-01-28, 09:06:
0 stands for 0 ohms […]
Show full quote

0 stands for 0 ohms

In the great words of John Cleese

"I'll tell you what's wrong with it, my lad. 'E's dead, that's what's wrong with it!"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z9SMUzj-_4Q

Reply 6 of 30, by Doornkaat

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Geofand26 wrote on 2022-01-28, 09:01:

Its C21 for sure

Not to be a dick but it isn't.

Attachments

• that's a D alright.jpg
    Filename
    that's a D alright.jpg
    File size
    239.82 KiB
    Views
    File license

Reply 7 of 30, by TrashPanda

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Doornkaat wrote on 2022-01-28, 09:20:

Its C21 for sure

I shouldn't but im laughing right now cause you are factually correct That's clearly not a C, I cant help but hear that in Johns voice.

Ill show my self out.

Reply 9 of 30, by Doornkaat

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Geofand26 wrote on 2022-01-28, 09:24:

Its C21 for sure

It got burned yea you are correct sorry for wrong info

No worries! 👍

Reply 10 of 30, by Geofand26

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Just checked under the bios chip and i can vaguely see a blacked(burned?) trace. Probably killed the bios chip. Gonna remove the socket and see what i can do about the trace. Can i flash a new bios on an eprom chip or do i have to use something else?

Reply 11 of 30, by TrashPanda

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Geofand26 wrote on 2022-01-28, 09:28:

Just checked under the bios chip and i can vaguely see a blacked(burned?) trace. Probably killed the bios chip. Gonna remove the socket and see what i can do about the trace. Can i flash a new bios on an eprom chip or do i have to use something else?

You can if you can get hold of a blank eprom thats the same size as the one in there, it also possible the old bios is ok but the burned trace prevents it from working, keep hold of it and try reading it in a programmer, if you can read it fine and it doesnt look corrupted then keeping it as a spare/backup would be best.

Reply 12 of 30, by Sphere478

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Geofand26 wrote on 2022-01-28, 09:06:
0 stands for 0 ohms […]
Show full quote

0 stands for 0 ohms

I assume that’s where all the gooey stuff came from.

Sphere's PCB projects.
-
-
-
Tyan S1564S to S1564D single to dual processor conversion (also s1563 and s1562)

Reply 13 of 30, by Doornkaat

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

It'd make sense if the EEPROM was defective that it would draw more current than the resistor could handle.
If the trace and socket are ok a new EEPROM with BIOS on it should do the job. I don't think you're likely to cause more damage by trying it out. Good luck! 😀

TrashPanda wrote on 2022-01-28, 09:22:

Its C21 for sure

I shouldn't but im laughing right now cause you are factually correct That's clearly not a C, I cant help but hear that in Johns voice.

Ill show my self out.

Yeah, that'd fit right into the dead parrot sketch! 😆

Reply 14 of 30, by Sphere478

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Am I the only one taking about the capacitor? Desolder that capacitor and check it for short.

Yeah, I see that burnt trace, I bet that capacitor did it, suspecting bios is fine. Replace cap and link and clean it up and maybe you are good to go?

Sphere's PCB projects.
-
-
-

Reply 15 of 30, by Geofand26

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thanks for the answers. I cant troubleshoot any further for now so after a few hours i will write back with results. You helped me more than most repair shops which just tell me "its too old so i wont even diagnose it" so again thank you so much!

Reply 16 of 30, by Sphere478

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Geofand26 wrote on 2022-01-28, 09:40:

Thanks for the answers. I cant troubleshoot any further for now so after a few hours i will write back with results. You helped me more than most repair shops which just tell me "its too old so i wont even diagnose it" so again thank you so much!

Those are called excuseshops.

You mentioned this happened while upgrading hard drive?

Did you plug cable in wrong?

Sphere's PCB projects.
-
-
-

Reply 17 of 30, by Doornkaat

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Sphere478 wrote on 2022-01-28, 09:40:

Am I the only one taking about the capacitor? Desolder that capacitor and check it for short.

Yeah, I see that burnt trace, I bet that capacitor did it, suspecting bios is fine. Replace cap and link and clean it up and maybe you are good to go?

There are two traces leading away from the burnt resistor. The trace leading to the capacitor is fine while the one leading to the EEPROM socket is burnt. Because of that I would suspect the short to be caused by the EEPROM, not the capacitor, even though you are right in that old electrolytics are never not suspect. 😅
The grime is probably burnt resistor and solder mask.

Fingers crossed, hope you get it fixed! 😀

Reply 18 of 30, by Sphere478

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Doornkaat wrote on 2022-01-28, 09:45:
There are two traces leading away from the burnt resistor. The trace leading to the capacitor is fine while the one leading to t […]
Show full quote

There are two traces leading away from the burnt resistor. The trace leading to the capacitor is fine while the one leading to the EEPROM socket is burnt. Because of that I would suspect the short to be caused by the EEPROM, not the capacitor, even though you are right in that old electrolytics are never not suspect. 😅

This is the one I suspect

Attachments

Sphere's PCB projects.
-
-
-

Reply 19 of 30, by TrashPanda

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Sphere478 wrote on 2022-01-28, 10:13:
Doornkaat wrote on 2022-01-28, 09:45:
There are two traces leading away from the burnt resistor. The trace leading to the capacitor is fine while the one leading to t […]
Show full quote

This is the one I suspect

Looks great from above but needs to be removed to check its butt, sneaky caps like to leak from below.