VOGONS

First post, by kkcloak

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi,

Long time hoarder....i mean collector 😉

I purchased this [Canada / Costco] way way back and sold the pc that i installed it and looking to get either locate the entire bundle or at least the Infra 2400 w/ remote to rebuild my 1st computer.

Been looking on ebay [.ca/.com] for years but the exact model never comes up for sale, were these more popular in Europe?

Thanks for any info 😀

***here some pic of my original box that i still have**

Attachments

Reply 1 of 13, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Well it's Costco, so keep diving their dumpster, some cheeky bugger is bound to return one sooner or later. 🤣

I think i maybe saw one of those about 4 years ago in a Value Village, but at the time their pricer was looking at the highest BIN on eBay for this kinda crap so it was insanity priced, and completely mummified with tape... so couldn't even check if it was the creative parts or the 10x CDROM and Crystal soundcard they pulled out when they installed it.... which happens way too much, saw a DVDRW box at a thrift today, crisp box, full retail version, managed to get a peek inside and it has the grubby 4x DVD ROM that came out.

Unicorn herding operations are proceeding, but all the totes of hens teeth and barrels of rocking horse poop give them plenty of hiding spots.

Reply 2 of 13, by Plasma

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

It's pretty rare to find complete multimedia kits these days, let alone a specific one. The parts got installed and the computer became outdated and moved on.

I assume you've checked here? http://www.computerpartsgalore.com/drives-cd/ … abs/CD1620E.htm

Otherwise you should definitely widen your ebay search to worldwide. You could also search for old 486/Pentium PCs in hopes that one has it installed, but that will be time consuming.

Reply 3 of 13, by darry

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Not that it helps you all that much, but I have seen this model CD-ROM drive (loose or in a PC) for sale used in thrift stores and pawnshops multiple times over the last few years in the greater Montreal area, so there are/were a few in the wild around these parts . I haven't seen one recently, though . I suggest visiting Value Village, Salvation Army, Renaissance or others often and hoping for the best .

Reply 4 of 13, by kkcloak

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

The closest value village / thrift store is about 2 1/2 hours from my location, i've been checking with my local e-recycler for a year or so [scored a bunch of crt's for free] but no luck on the cd-rom.

I'm guessing these drives were not that popular.

**note i did pickup that bundle in Quebec city**

Reply 6 of 13, by aaron158

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
darry wrote on 2022-01-30, 05:06:

Not that it helps you all that much, but I have seen this model CD-ROM drive (loose or in a PC) for sale used in thrift stores and pawnshops multiple times over the last few years in the greater Montreal area, so there are/were a few in the wild around these parts . I haven't seen one recently, though . I suggest visiting Value Village, Salvation Army, Renaissance or others often and hoping for the best .

lucky that in that area stores even put computers out. over in London Ontario not 1 thrift store ever puts any pc out for sale. all u find is crappy keyboards that came with pre built computers and the odd mouse or monitor. think i saw a video card once at a value village and it was a gtx 570 priced at ebay price.

Reply 7 of 13, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Each VV operates as a for profit store that buys product off a more local charity, by weight, which does a bunch of organising collection runs and drop bins etc to get the stuff. So you tend to get a bit of a skew in available items according to the demographics of the charity and locale and individual local decisions on where to put collecting bins etc. So between two Value Villages, they'll have a lot that looks real similar, but have idiosyncrasies in amount of some types of items, and whether they have a lot of older ppl clothes, younger ppl clothes, tall and thin clothes, short and fat clothes etc. This means that neighbouring cities can have widely different selection in some departments. Then also there seems to be a cyclic "stage of life" thing around the core ages of their donors, as various cohorts have kids, move, downsize, retire, die. Which also applies to other thrifts. My area is getting a bit thin for interesting stuff, have had a large influx of ppl from the Big Smoke(s) and they Marie Kondo-ed all their stuff before moving.

Anyhoo, if you find yourself living among the type of ppl who wouldn't have had such hardware, or if they did got rid of it long ago to move there, then yah, local markets are much less likely to turn up what you want. Alternatives are online buying, of course, but semi-online buying might work, meaning local classifieds somewhere more distant, but "easy" to get to... this might be because you visit relatives for a weekend there every month or two, or there's a bus or train that offers cut rate fares to a particular city, (Maybe at certain off peak times) ... or there's a smooth, straight highway right there, where you can set the cruise at fuel economy speed and have a stressless drive listening to your podcasts or fave radio station etc... or some people work a city or two over from where they live, so after work pickups do-able.

Unicorn herding operations are proceeding, but all the totes of hens teeth and barrels of rocking horse poop give them plenty of hiding spots.

Reply 9 of 13, by kkcloak

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Plasma wrote on 2022-02-05, 17:42:

There is a drive for sale on ebay right now, but no remote. Mods don't like ebay links so you will have to search 334317814946.

is it the one for US $150.00?

Attachments

• s-l1600.jpg
    Filename
    s-l1600.jpg
    File size
    122.15 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Public domain

Reply 12 of 13, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Damn, looks like an Australopithecus tried to install it (Since modern research says Neanderthals were quite smart and may have merged with us)

Better description "Very used, beat into a drivebay with a rock, then extracted for sale, most likely has hidden impact damage and will malfunction, no other signs of use because obviously it didn't work after that treatment and has been sitting in it's box since waiting for a sucker who thinks otherwise."

Reply 13 of 13, by Plasma

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

It's clean, still has the plastic film on the IR window and no yellowing. That's what "open box" looks like after 25 years of getting moved around. $150 is very steep though. I would offer $50 if I wanted it.