VOGONS

Side winder precision pro and DOS

Topic actions

First post, by atom1kk

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hi

I am searching for a goid dos joystick and i ran over the precision pro. It comes wirh a gamport connection. Does it work under DOS? Because i read some model are not analog and get into trouble under Dos.

It is this

https://www.ebay-kleinanzeigen.de/s-anzeige/s … ent=app_android

If not, what would be a good alternative to have dos support? Thx

Reply 2 of 36, by atom1kk

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Thx for the hint.

Or is this one a better solution? Is the standard model anlog?

https://www.ebay-kleinanzeigen.de/s-anzeige/m … ent=app_android

Last edited by atom1kk on 2022-01-30, 18:57. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 3 of 36, by Meatball

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

We'll need some kind of expert to weigh-in, but unless the manufacturer went out of their way to force digital on one connection (USB for example), and analog for the other (Gameport/MIDI port for another example), there should be no difference. Either the controller is analog or it is digital (or capable of both) whatever the connection mechanism.

Reply 5 of 36, by Horun

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

The 3D Pro is both Analog and Digital but does not support USB, is only Gameport. It works under DOS just fine as well as in Windows 9x.
The 3D Pro Plus (Part No. 97462, no USB support) is the early model Precision Pro (Part No. 57540, with USB) and they look identical but Pro Plus works in DOS and well as Windows and is both Analog and Digital.
I do not know for sure if the Precision Pro is analog DOS capable but most likely is unless MS messed with the Digital to Analog guts. I would gamble on the first one, the Precision Pro, not the Sidewinder USB one.
I have a few 3D Pro's and one 3D Pro Plus but no Precision Pro or would run a quick test.
Getting USB to work in DOS is one thing but getting the DOS game to work with USB joystick is another....

Hate posting a reply and then have to edit it because it made no sense 😁 First computer was an IBM 3270 workstation with CGA monitor. Stuff: https://archive.org/details/@horun

Reply 8 of 36, by snufkin

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
atom1kk wrote on 2022-01-30, 19:25:

Gameport is not a problem for me, i do not need usb

So this one should work under dos?

Unfortunately I don't think so. That's got a product ID of 97462, which is the same as mine. The stick is labelled on the bottom as a "SideWinder 3D Pro Plus" and was boxed as a "SideWinder Precision Pro" (with a box label saying "Precision Pro 2.0". The box is fairly clear that it needs Win95 and doesn't mention USB at all. It was a sort of half-way stick where it doesn't support analog modes, but also doesn't support USB. As I understand it, it signals to the driver what it is by having a 30k resistor on the 1st analog input. Then it has some digital protocol over the 4 gameport button inputs. It also has the MIDI Tx pin from the gameport on the connector, but it doesn't actually use that (it was later used for Force Feedback).

I think it was only sold for a short time as MS fairly quickly released the next version which did support USB internally and came with a passive adapter (that was the first one you linked to). As far as I know the only analog mode SideWinder was the 3D Pro (not the Pro Plus), which could switch between digital and analog mode.

Reply 9 of 36, by atom1kk

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Ok strange, the post from horun said that this model should work under dos thtas why i was looking for. The 3d pro has bad ergonomics, thats why i am trying to avoid it 😀

I found the medion erazer one which seems ok and also should work under dos. Maybe i should stick to it.

Reply 10 of 36, by Shreddoc

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

My research also suggests the 3d Pro Plus is not natively DOS compatible.

The standard "Sidewinder 3d Pro" (non-Plus), part number 63545, is the best of Microsoft's native DOS compatible offerings.

3dpro.jpg
Filename
3dpro.jpg
File size
4.65 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 11 of 36, by kolderman

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Shreddoc wrote on 2022-01-30, 21:13:

The standard "Sidewinder 3d Pro" (non-Plus), part number 63545, is the best of Microsoft's native DOS compatible offerings.

3dpro.jpg

do they look any different?

Reply 12 of 36, by Shreddoc

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
kolderman wrote on 2022-01-30, 21:18:

3dpro.jpg

Yes they look markedly different - the Plus looks identical to a Precision Pro. It's basically the early version of the Precision Pro.

Reply 13 of 36, by atom1kk

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hmm.. i think than this would be than the choice...

Reply 14 of 36, by Shreddoc

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
atom1kk wrote on 2022-01-30, 21:24:

Hmm.. i think than this would be than the choice...

I think so. I have one. I use it with my DOS machines.

Which games will you play?

Reply 17 of 36, by AirIntake

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

There may be better options (than 3d Pro, or any stick-based thing), for driving games. A matter of opinion.

Agreed. The 3D Pro is my favourite joystick of that era, but it's very stiff and has a short throw.

For driving I'd recommend a CH Flightstick Pro, or if you can find one a CH Flight Yoke with pedals.

Casio BE-300 Advancement Society alumni

Reply 18 of 36, by kolderman

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Shreddoc wrote on 2022-01-30, 21:19:
kolderman wrote on 2022-01-30, 21:18:

3dpro.jpg

Yes they look markedly different - the Plus looks identical to a Precision Pro. It's basically the early version of the Precision Pro.

OK good. That means my two 3d Pros really are then.

Reply 19 of 36, by atom1kk

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
AirIntake wrote on 2022-01-30, 22:10:

There may be better options (than 3d Pro, or any stick-based thing), for driving games. A matter of opinion.

Agreed. The 3D Pro is my favourite joystick of that era, but it's very stiff and has a short throw.

For driving I'd recommend a CH Flightstick Pro, or if you can find one a CH Flight Yoke with pedals.

But they are all usb. I need one working in dos.

I mean i have all the stuff at my normal pc. The retro is a casual thing. Maybe 2-3 hours a week. Top gun needs a stick and nascar and indy are also playable well with keyboard, but i need one than why not kind of one for all 3.

Its hard to find models having full dos support.

Last edited by atom1kk on 2022-01-30, 23:25. Edited 1 time in total.