VOGONS

First post, by mickloaf

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Bare with me because this is a weird one....

SYSTEM SPECS

486D.jpg

1992 Dell 486D/33 (with DX266 Overdrive)
32MB RAM
Storage all CF cards
Sound Card: Yamaha Audician 32 PLUS
DOS 6.22 & Windows 3.11

I also have a disk controller card, SCSI card. and network card but the following issue is still present with all and their drivers removed.

PROBLEM

You might imagine I'm going to say my Joystick doesn't work, well you're half right.

Jazz Jackrabit: All joysticks work, all of the time, all axis and all buttons.
Dogfight: All joysicks can move the cursor around the menu, but no buttons work and consequently wont calibrate and cant be used in game!

EVERY other game I have installed with joystick support (over 30) No joystick detection whatsoever, nothing in Tie Fighter, nothing in GS2000, zilch.

THINGS IVE TRIED

MANY other joysticks/pads.
Running the system bare with all cards pulled except the sound card and one drive with clean DOS install + ssoundcard drivers, no effect.
Tried every available iteration of the OPL3SAX drivers for the soundcard AND Unisound, all produce exactly the same result.
Changing Joystick port between 200 and 201, no effect.
Continuity testing the whole bastard soundcard, no issues found.

WHERE I'M AT

Well aside from wanting to snap this sound card in half I'm baffled.
I would of course given the above immediately write off the soundcard as bad if it were not for the fact that for some unfathomable reason joystics/pads ALL work perfectly in Jazz Jackrabit!

If anyone has the foggiest idea of what the smeg is going on here, your help would be very much appreciated.

Many thanks, Mick.

Reply 1 of 21, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

So.... have you got in the habit of running Jazz first to check functionality then going to something else, because if might be the state that Jazz is leaving them in is the problem, so reboot and try stuff.

Unicorn herding operations are proceeding, but all the totes of hens teeth and barrels of rocking horse poop give them plenty of hiding spots.

Reply 3 of 21, by doshea

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

If nobody else has any better debugging suggestions, one thing that comes to mind is that since it's an ISA card, I assume the game port is standard (maybe there are nonstandard game ports on ISA cards and I just don't know enough about this stuff to be aware of them though) and it should be possible to use the joystick without your soundcard drivers being installed. Of course it might affect your ability to get audio, but it could help to rule out another conflict.

Also I seem to recall that JOYSDK11.ZIP from http://files.mpoli.fi/software/PROGRAMM/GENERAL/ ("Gravis: Joystick software developers kit v1.1") has a simple joystick testing utility in it (or something like that) which I've used before to test game ports.

Hopefully someone more knowledgeable has some better suggestions though, save these for if you get desperate! 😀

Reply 4 of 21, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
mickloaf wrote on 2022-02-02, 02:08:

No unfortunately it happens without Jazz being run, or even installed for that matter 🙁

Ah okay, just Jazz has a rep for being difficult on random other hardware so it was giving me a thought it might be screwing with system timers.

However, it might be hitting hardware direct, whereas other stuff is going through some BIOS or OS layer that is causing problems.

Unicorn herding operations are proceeding, but all the totes of hens teeth and barrels of rocking horse poop give them plenty of hiding spots.

Reply 5 of 21, by enaiel

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Some more joystick debugging tools can be found here: Re: Good DOS joystick test program?

#1 VIA C3 Ezra-T 1.0GHz / MSI MS-6368 / Voodoo2+ViRGE GX / SBPro2+YMF744+AWE64+SC-7
#2 Pentium III-S Tualatin 1.40GHz / QDI A10T / Voodoo3 3000+GF4 Ti4200 / Audigy+AU8830+SC-50

Reply 6 of 21, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Found something about a different card that might be worth checking into...
Re: Sound Blaster 16 Clones

Reply 8 of 21, by mickloaf

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
keenmaster486 wrote on 2022-02-02, 18:39:

The gameport on your sound card might honestly just be faulty. Do you have another card you can try?

Unfortunately this is my only “working” ISA sound card 🙁

None of the tools posted above in here even detect a joystick yet it’s fully working in Jazz and partially working in other games.

Looks like I’m only going to narrow this down by buying another sound card.

Many thanks for all the help folks.

Mick.

Reply 9 of 21, by Pierre32

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Keep an eye out for dedicated ISA gameport cards too. In my experience browsing in Australia at least, they don't seem to have a lot of appeal, so tend to be cheaper than sound cards. Can be harder to find though.

Reply 10 of 21, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I think it's one of those things that would be easier to find if they were worth more. Might see them in bunches/lots of nothing cards, modem, modem, modem, NIC, modem, game card, modem, modem.

Come to think of, most of the time "back in the day" my joystick went to the multi-io card gameport, I think at the time io cards were $20 and soundcards $50 up so I figured I'd wear out the i/o card first.

Reply 11 of 21, by dionb

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Pierre32 wrote on 2022-02-03, 12:40:

Keep an eye out for dedicated ISA gameport cards too. In my experience browsing in Australia at least, they don't seem to have a lot of appeal, so tend to be cheaper than sound cards. Can be harder to find though.

Added advantage: they tend to have two ports, so you can do multi-player games too 😀

Reply 12 of 21, by rasz_pl

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

can you pull out the overdrive cpu?
joystricks are speed sensitive, I dont remember when, but Pentiums definitely had some trouble, there were even later sound cards with special modified gameports able to work with fast CPU (different capacitor values maybe?)

Open Source AT&T Globalyst/NCR/FIC 486-GAC-2 proprietary Cache Module reproduction

Reply 13 of 21, by AirIntake

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I bought an AWE64 with a completely non-functional gameport. Turns out it was corroded internally and joystick pins were not making an electrical connection. Contact cleaner didn't work. I ended up having to soak it in vinegar & stick a pipe cleaner in every hole to remove the corrosion.

Casio BE-300 Advancement Society alumni

Reply 14 of 21, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Speed sensitivity of the joystick port makes no sense since it is working in Jazz.

You can always test by lowering the fsb to 25Mhz from 33Mhz and see if it makes any difference. That is if the motherboard had adjustable fsb.

Are there any ISA bus speed settings in the BIOS?

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 15 of 21, by Horun

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
mickloaf wrote on 2022-02-03, 12:13:
Unfortunately this is my only “working” ISA sound card 🙁 Looks like I’m only going to narrow this down by buying another sound c […]
Show full quote

Unfortunately this is my only “working” ISA sound card 🙁
Looks like I’m only going to narrow this down by buying another sound card.

Many thanks for all the help folks.

Mick.

You do not need another sound card to test if truly the Game Port. Many ISA HD/Floppy/I-O cards have them too. DO you have any Multi I/O ISA cards ?
All you do is disable Game port on the sound card then on the Multi I/O card disable the HD/Floppy/Coms/LPT thru jumpers and use just the Game Port.
Have done it a few times my self testing Sound cards with erratic Game ports....and erratic onboard floppy, com, etc ports...
My fav card for that is a small Holtek EIO-2A / LCMSIO-2A, they have clear labeled jumpers for enable/disable everything on it (you can Google and see the Image of it) 😀

Hate posting a reply and then have to edit it because it made no sense 😁 First computer was an IBM 3270 workstation with CGA monitor. Stuff: https://archive.org/details/@horun

Reply 16 of 21, by Shreddoc

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

In addition to the user's own testing, even the fact we have a working game (Jazz) suggests that electrical continuity is not the key issue.

I think Jazz is also anecdotally known for inventive hardware access methods. For example, I have encountered the inverse scenario to yours before, where Jazz was the only one of my main games that wouldn't recognise a certain joystick. It is interesting that Epic's less-common (more direct, I assume) hardware access methods are getting through here, but not the standard joystick calls of other games.

Reply 17 of 21, by snufkin

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I think the weirdest one is Dogfight. It must be able to read the joystick register, with the correct timing, to get the X/Y position to move the cursor. But it doesn't get the button status (found in the same register), when Jazz can? How can that go wrong? Missing ground on the gameport connector?

[edit: no, can't be that, otherwise Jazz doesn't work]

Reply 18 of 21, by rasz_pl

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
cyclone3d wrote on 2022-02-04, 00:11:

Speed sensitivity of the joystick port makes no sense since it is working in Jazz.

it makes perfect sense since reading joystick is performed by
- writing to joystick port (0x2xx something)
- pooling 0x2xx something port in a tight loop until values change
- calculating the time it took for XY axis bits to flip back

depending on the age of the game you get into situations where programmers didnt anticipate timing loop taking so long = overflowing/breaking code
Other option might be non standard gameport IO port and Jazz being aggressive about probing more possible locations?

Open Source AT&T Globalyst/NCR/FIC 486-GAC-2 proprietary Cache Module reproduction

Reply 19 of 21, by Pierre32

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Shreddoc wrote on 2022-02-04, 00:55:

I think Jazz is also anecdotally known for inventive hardware access methods. For example, I have encountered the inverse scenario to yours before, where Jazz was the only one of my main games that wouldn't recognise a certain joystick.

Yep, I've experienced that with Jazz.