VOGONS

First post, by arianon

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I'm moving a Intel SE440BX-2 based machine over to Windows 95, and have run into an issue that when I installed Windows 95 OSR 2.5 the USB device is not detected. I've tried installing the motherboard drivers that came with the board on CD and also installed the Extended USB Support package (http://www.win3x.org/win3board/viewtopic.php? … 638&language=en), and they install but the device is still not detected.

Does anyone have a recommendation of what driver should be installed to support the USB controller? Thanks much!

Reply 1 of 3, by sirotkaslo

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I always had great success with 95d lite. I have the same board, can give it a try during the weekend if they work on my board.

https://razorback95.com/projects/win95dl/

Reply 2 of 3, by Meatball

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

There is nothing special about the SE440BX-2 board (which I also own) necessitating 3rd party USB drivers. Everything you need to support USB is on the Windows 95 2.5 CD. Windows 95 doesn’t support USB out of the box no matter which version used, though. Right after installation, you need to install the USB supplement package, which is more like an OS upgrade rather than a simple driver update, hence part of the 2.5 release. I think it’s inside the “OTHER” directory or “ADMIN” on the CD. I can’t remember the exact directory. The file is called USBSUPP.EXE. The same directory contains one more patch to apply after USBSUPP.EXE is applied, post reboot. If you had the 2.1 CD, this patch wouldn’t be present.

You might have to reinstall if the OS was modified by the other package you installed. Adding USB support to Windows 95 is very methodical, and often wouldn’t install or would wreck the install completely if the environment wasn’t pristine.

If you want USB flash drive support, then you need a 3rd party driver.

Reply 3 of 3, by arianon

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thanks much! I'd never heard of that win 95d lite project. I found the files you mentioned Meatball at D:\other\updates\usb on the Windows 95 CD. The directory contained 3 executables, after installing them all it picked it up without issue.