VOGONS

Problems with booting DR-DOS

Topic actions

Reply 20 of 23, by Horun

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

That is great ! I tried doing that with one of the disk sets there but it would not boot when converted to 1.44 (maybe they never did but the one I pointed to did).
Might have to try Winimage 8.1 but have a license for 7 so I just keep using it ;p

Hate posting a reply and then have to edit it because it made no sense 😁 First computer was an IBM 3270 workstation with CGA monitor. Stuff: https://archive.org/details/@horun

Reply 21 of 23, by Disruptor

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Horun wrote on 2022-02-07, 04:31:

That is great ! I tried doing that with one of the disk sets there but it would not boot when converted to 1.44 (maybe they never did but the one I pointed to did).
Might have to try Winimage 8.1 but have a license for 7 so I just keep using it ;p

Well, DR DOS has a different bootloader code compared to a MS DOS bootsector.
Basically DR DOS loads IBMBIO.COM instead of IO.SYS

Reply 22 of 23, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Hm. I wonder where all this trouble comes from.
Normally, an 1,44MB floppy is fully compatible with 720KB formatting.
If its corner hole is covered and if it is being used in a 1,44MB HD drive, I mean.
On the software-side, it will act pretty much like a real 720KB medium then.

In fact, likewise 360KB is a valid format, too.
It's possible to format an 3,5" 720KB or 3,5"1,44MB floppy like an 5,25" 360KB floppy.

That method was used when making 1:1 working copies of 5,25" diskettes at some point (before HD floppies were common).

For example, if PC A had a 5,25" floppy drive, but PC B had one of these new 3,5" floppy drives.

"Time, it seems, doesn't flow. For some it's fast, for some it's slow.
In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//

Reply 23 of 23, by Horun

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I think the first set I tried did not boot because the original image was incorrect, much like EvieSigma's disk in the very first post.
yes have taken 720k to 1.44mb and 360k to 1.2mb many times but that was from known good bootable disks.
If you look down the list on Winworld you will see how few times those DR Dos5 disks were downloaded, some just once so who knows if they all are truly bootable.

Hate posting a reply and then have to edit it because it made no sense 😁 First computer was an IBM 3270 workstation with CGA monitor. Stuff: https://archive.org/details/@horun