VOGONS

First post, by ifkz

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I am just about ready to power up my 486 project and my first IBM machine: a PS/1 model 2155. I am waiting on a CPU for it and that is in the mail.
The service manual says this shipped with 128K of standard cache, four chips. Two empty banks are there for a max of 256K . Assuming I can get this to boot, my question is about location U19 on the main board that is listed as " Cache Memory Socket (for address module) 128K/256K" should there be anything in this location?
At present, all of my cash cache is empty...no K.
There is also mention of a "TAG" in the manual, I have no idea what this is:
"If you are installing cache memory in a board with no cache memory previously installed, install 128K or 256K as follows:
Bank 1 Add four 28-pin modules: 32K × 8, 25 ns SRAM (for 128K or
256K).
Bank 2 Add four 28-pin modules: 32K × 8, 25 ns SRAM (for 256K).
Tag Add one 28-pin module: 32K × 8, 20 ns SRAM (for 256K) or
8K × 8, 20 ns SRAM (for 128K)."

Reply 1 of 2, by Eep386

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

TAG is just an extra SRAM chip. It's called TAG as it holds information about which parts of memory belong to which chunk in the cache etc. Most cache setups require this extra SRAM chip so that the cache's data remains coherent and relevant to the contents of memory.

Life isn't long enough to re-enable every hidden option in every BIOS on every board... 🙁

Reply 2 of 2, by ifkz

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Ah, so it is telling me I am going to need that chip too, in addition to either one or both banks being populated. Thanks, that helps out and it makes a lot of sense after re-reading it. Now to find some cache to buy for this PC (or at least buy it after I can first power it up).

Since I am starting at nothing, I should probably go for the full 256k. I think this should be fairly affordable (what I remember from LGR's 486 cache upgrade video).