VOGONS

Making a BTX cooler adapter

Topic actions

First post, by Robertkopp

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I have bought 2 btx boards and despite having a cooler, getting a btx case to mount it to is not an option.
I have a 3d printer so I will be making a backplane for sure, but making a adapter to mount a different heatink/cooler is also on my mind.
I'd like to hear about some suggestions! I was thinking about some slim AM2 heat pipe tower.

BTX-MOUNT.png

Maybe something like this

pc.png
archiveorg.png
https://archive.org/details/@robertkopp

Reply 2 of 25, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Grem Five wrote on 2022-02-10, 00:30:

If I may ask, why is "getting a btx case to mount it to is not an option"?

Only thing I can think of is lack of space.
Or shipping is too expensive.

I'm glad BTX never went anywhere, it was really not much of an improvement compared to the AT to ATX switch.
For me BTX these days is mostly just one extra thing to keep in mind when browsing stuff 😜

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 3 of 25, by Robertkopp

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hey nice to see a reply on my thread. I found the btx list in the forums after my post, I ordered a whole dell dimension 5150 for 10$ just a few minutes ago. I think I have to cut out the io plate tho it's stamped into the case it seems.
So one of the Win98 pcs is complete, now I have 2 more of these boards.
I think a modern cooler with heatpipes would be real nice on a pentium d or celeron d.
And also I just had the revelation after ordering that you can mod a atx case with top power supply and swap the power supply with the expansion area. Drilling new holes for the motherboard and the cooler is the smaller task.

And the main reason is that most of these cases are just to ugly for my setup. The only one I'd really like to display is the dell xps 720 case.

pc.png
archiveorg.png

Reply 4 of 25, by Doornkaat

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I don't understand: Do you need a special adaptor for coolers in BTX cases? Do the motherboards not use the retention points specific to the socket?
I have little to no experience with BTX hardware obviously.😄

Reply 5 of 25, by Grem Five

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

There are btx cases out there, most common ones are some dell cases.... they made a crap ton of btx systems. I have a cooler master 820 stacker ( I think it's a 820 ) that supports btx along with atx.

i hate most dell cases but i like some of the btx ones i have, mine are dimension e520s.

<edit> Mine is actually a 830 stacker but has the option to be setup in btx config.

Reply 6 of 25, by Grem Five

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Tetrium wrote on 2022-02-10, 00:53:
Only thing I can think of is lack of space. Or shipping is too expensive. […]
Show full quote
Grem Five wrote on 2022-02-10, 00:30:

If I may ask, why is "getting a btx case to mount it to is not an option"?

Only thing I can think of is lack of space.
Or shipping is too expensive.

I'm glad BTX never went anywhere, it was really not much of an improvement compared to the AT to ATX switch.
For me BTX these days is mostly just one extra thing to keep in mind when browsing stuff 😜

I dont know.... btx boards are laid out a bit different than atx but the new systems I have built over the last few years I wont buy a case unless I can invert the motherboard, I prefer that orientation.

Reply 7 of 25, by Robertkopp

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Doornkaat wrote on 2022-02-10, 09:00:

I don't understand: Do you need a special adaptor for coolers in BTX cases? Do the motherboards not use the retention points specific to the socket?

The mounting points are in the case, you screw the cooler on top after you installed the board. A btx cooler has very long mounting screws because of that, there is no way to just put a washer and a nut on the back and call it a day.

IMG-20220210-180014.jpg

pc.png
archiveorg.png

Reply 8 of 25, by Errius

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Grem Five wrote on 2022-02-10, 15:19:

<edit> Mine is actually a 830 stacker but has the option to be setup in btx config.

I was going to comment on this. The Stacker 820 is astoundingly rare. In fact I'm not sure if it ever existed outside of press photos.

ETA: spec sheet

Attachments

• Filename
    RC-820.pdf.rar
    File size
    501.91 KiB
    Downloads
    36 downloads
    File license
    Public domain

Is this too much voodoo?

Reply 9 of 25, by Doornkaat

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Robertkopp wrote on 2022-02-10, 17:03:
The mounting points are in the case, you screw the cooler on top after you installed the board. A btx cooler has very long mount […]
Show full quote
Doornkaat wrote on 2022-02-10, 09:00:

The mounting points are in the case, you screw the cooler on top after you installed the board. A btx cooler has very long mounting screws because of that, there is no way to just put a washer and a nut on the back and call it a day.

IMG-20220210-180014.jpg

Ah, ok, got it! 👍
Good idea in theory though not actually practical. I wonder why Intel didn't just rotate ATX 180° like some case manufacturers do anyway.

Reply 10 of 25, by Robertkopp

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I just bought a old Dell XPS710 and found out that the 730 is actually a flipped atx layout. And there is a somewhat clean mod on youtube to make it atx again.
The guy just needs to calm down with his angle grinder.
Modding that case and especially the btx variant was apperantely a thing in 2006 or when this came out . Most of the btx prebuilds have a removable motherboard tray with a complete i/o shield and extension bay mounts attached.
Get out the tray, flip the back and attach it again.

pc.png
archiveorg.png

Reply 11 of 25, by The Serpent Rider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Doornkaat wrote:

I wonder why Intel didn't just rotate ATX 180° like some case manufacturers do anyway.

Rotate what? ATX standard does not include any particular orientation in space.

I must be some kind of standard: the anonymous gangbanger of the 21st century.

Reply 12 of 25, by Robertkopp

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Errius wrote on 2022-02-10, 18:42:
Grem Five wrote on 2022-02-10, 15:19:

I was going to comment on this. The Stacker 820 is astoundingly rare. In fact I'm not sure if it ever existed outside of press photos.

ETA: spec sheet

I just found a stacker, is it worth 65$ and a 2 hour drive? He sells the nvidia variant with all the parts and filters in good condition. Looks real sick to be honest.

pc.png
archiveorg.png

Reply 14 of 25, by Robertkopp

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Errius wrote on 2022-02-13, 22:26:

This is the green Stacker 830 with Nvidia branding? That looks cool and I would buy it if it was near me.

Yes it is brother, I hope I still get the chance. I have to borrow a car to get there. Thank you for the nice tip.

pc.png
archiveorg.png

Reply 15 of 25, by Grem Five

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Robertkopp wrote on 2022-02-14, 03:08:
Errius wrote on 2022-02-13, 22:26:

This is the green Stacker 830 with Nvidia branding? That looks cool and I would buy it if it was near me.

Yes it is brother, I hope I still get the chance. I have to borrow a car to get there. Thank you for the nice tip.

I would make sure he still has the BTX pieces that should have came with the case. If he threw out the cpu cooler mounting bracket you would be right back to square one.

I went and checked mine and its actually a 832 stacker and they did not come with the optional mounting bracket and such. According to the manual the 830 came with the optional BTX kit, the 831 did not nor did the 832 but the 832 ( and 830 ) did come with the optional cross flow fan brackets although I still have never been able to find one of those cooler master cross flow fans.

Other than that the 830, 831 and 832 were all the same chassis just different accessories included. Mine is actually just like this one the war machine. A year or two ago an ebay seller was selling like a hundred of these new in box or new old stock.

Reply 16 of 25, by Errius

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I only have one of these cases, a 830. It came with the plastic BTX duct (in two pieces) but was missing the motherboard mounting bracket, which must apparently be purchased separately. I imagine getting hold of one of these is going to be hard given how short-lived BTX was. Very few of these conversion kits would have been produced.

Is this too much voodoo?

Reply 18 of 25, by Doornkaat

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
The Serpent Rider wrote on 2022-02-13, 20:53:
Doornkaat wrote:

I wonder why Intel didn't just rotate ATX 180° like some case manufacturers do anyway.

Rotate what? ATX standard does not include any particular orientation in space.

Let me demonstrate:

ATX before.jpg
Filename
ATX before.jpg
File size
4.23 KiB
Views
File license
Public domain

rotate 180°

ATX after.jpg
Filename
ATX after.jpg
File size
4.42 KiB
Views
File license
Public domain

Get it now? 🙂🙃

Reply 19 of 25, by Grem Five

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

stacker2.jpg

The metal piece on the second pic should be the btx mount or what do you think?

Yes that metal piece should be the btx mount it bolts to holes in the motherboard tray. I don't have one but from the manual that is what the btx mount looks like.