VOGONS

First post, by ildonaldo

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I’ve recently bought a nice old AT case to refurbish it as a new “Home” for my 486DX.
After retrobrighting* the front and painting the hood I’ve noticed that it requires some special mounting rails for all the drives (both 3.5" and 5.25").
First I’ve tried some rails from a fujitsu case I had lying around but they didn’t fit properly (with no chance to modify).

I took measure and am looking now for the proper rails (before I start improvising).
Please find some images below …
Hight: approx. 25mm
Width: approx. 4mm
Length: ??

Does anyone know that case and have an idea what specific rails I need?
Or, if anyone has a similar case, a image of the rails (with measures) would do as well!

(maybe my neighbor with his 3D printer can help me)

01.jpg
Filename
01.jpg
File size
123.9 KiB
Views
File comment
frame with guides for drive mounting rails
File license
GPL-2.0-or-later
03.jpg
Filename
03.jpg
File size
68.66 KiB
Views
File comment
case front with attached hood
File license
GPL-2.0-or-later
02.jpg
Filename
02.jpg
File size
120.54 KiB
Views
File comment
detail, drive mounting rails
File license
GPL-2.0-or-later

* BTW: this time I’ve used a black builders tub (covered with a transparent bag) with liquid Peroxide solution and it worked far better(!) than the paste I’ve used until.
You’l need a lot of liquid (approx 10 liters, thinned to 3%), but I’ve filled the remaining liquid in two canisters for later reuse.

Building my own PCs since 1991 - for my retro builds it's "no CF-disks, no Floppy emulators, no modern cases etc.", only the real and authentic stuff whenever possible.

Reply 1 of 12, by ildonaldo

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Won't anyone know/have this case?

Building my own PCs since 1991 - for my retro builds it's "no CF-disks, no Floppy emulators, no modern cases etc.", only the real and authentic stuff whenever possible.

Reply 3 of 12, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

They're not made out of unicorn horn or anything though, strips of any more or less rigid material of convenient thickness cut and drilled to suit will do... Popsicle sticks even.

Unicorn herding operations are proceeding, but all the totes of hens teeth and barrels of rocking horse poop give them plenty of hiding spots.

Reply 4 of 12, by konc

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
BitWrangler wrote on 2022-02-11, 19:35:

They're not made out of unicorn horn or anything though, strips of any more or less rigid material of convenient thickness cut and drilled to suit will do... Popsicle sticks even.

Yes the problem with these rails is not figuring something out to hold the drive in place, but how to secure it from sliding back and forth.
Some rails have "ears" that snap in place, this particular case looks like it needs L-shaped rails screwed at the front.

Reply 5 of 12, by wiretap

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Looks easy enough to mock up a design using sheet metal. Cut out thin sheet metal with some nibblers to the size and shape it needs to be, bent over with the ears to secure it to the front. Then put it in Sketchup or another CAD software to account for the thickness it needs to be and have some rails 3D printed.

Alternatively, you can use thin cardboard or even cardstock paper to make the prototype rails to get proper dimensions for the 3d model creation.

With 3d printed stuff, it might take 2 or 3 tries to get it exactly right.

My Github
Circuit Board Repair Manuals

Reply 7 of 12, by pentiumspeed

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

This case requires spring loaded latches attached to rails due to rectangular openings in front of rails built into the case drive cages. Not screwed to the case.

Cheers,

Great Northern aka Canada.

Reply 8 of 12, by Horun

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I agree Pentiumspeed ! Have seen some black plastic wide types with metal "mounded " spring type things that probably were used in a similar case, unfortunately cannot find any in my box of rails to show as an example....

Hate posting a reply and then have to edit it because it made no sense 😁 First computer was an IBM 3270 workstation with CGA monitor. Stuff: https://archive.org/details/@horun

Reply 9 of 12, by ildonaldo

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Horun wrote on 2022-02-12, 18:12:

I agree Pentiumspeed ! Have seen some black plastic wide types with metal "mounded " spring type things that probably were used in a similar case, unfortunately cannot find any in my box of rails to show as an example....

Already tried these but they won't fit in any way.

s-l1600.jpg
Filename
s-l1600.jpg
File size
51.39 KiB
Views
File comment
Drive rails for Esprimo
File license
GPL-2.0-or-later
s-l1600.jpg
Filename
s-l1600.jpg
File size
339.01 KiB
Views
File comment
Drive rails for Scenic
File license
GPL-2.0-or-later

Guess that case isn't very common 😉 and I'll habe to start improvising with some strips of wood.

Reply 10 of 12, by PC Hoarder Patrol

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

This is as close as I have - these are the 3.5 bay ones (5.25 are similar but bigger, can't find them atm). Wood strips fixed to IO blanking covers (for the angle piece) should work OK.

drive rails.JPG
Filename
drive rails.JPG
File size
586.73 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 11 of 12, by ildonaldo

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I've already formed some rough plan that might work 😀

- I will first attach the front case-cover and try to fit the drives (CD+FDD) in place.
- Then I will estimate the placement of the drives and attach the wooden strips accordingly with double sided tape to the drives.
- If this fits, I will use some small screws (or maybe hotmelt glue) to hold the drives/strips in place.

... but I really would have preferred some proper prefab solution instead of improvising.

Reply 12 of 12, by wiretap

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Once you make something that fits, draw it out with all the correct dimensions. There are tons of companies online that can waterjet/laser cut your design out of metal. I've used this company before for metal keyboard plates, and they're reasonably priced. https://www.bigbluesaw.com/ edit: they're US based, but I'm sure your country has similar options available.

My Github
Circuit Board Repair Manuals