VOGONS

First post, by RaiderOfLostVoodoo

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

So, a few weeks ago I found an ASrock ALive Dual for a reasonable price on Ebay, which (from what I've read) is the fastest AGP board. It even has Win98 drivers for everything except the onboard sound (which I won't be using anyway).
After BIOS update it supports Phenom II processors up to 965 (3.4GHz) and should even be able to utilize the 980 (3.7GHz) with homebrew BIOS. I don't have a 980 yet, but a year ago I got a 965 in a huge lot. My buddy Hirsch also found a cheap ALive Dual, but it needs some repair (front panel connector broken). He already ordered a 980, so I'll let him test if it works, before I start looking for one myself.

It also supports DDR2 up to 1066MHz. While some people on the net claim that 2.1V is fine, the majority claims that it will damage the CPU. I don't know who I should believe. I'd rather listen to the folks here than to some kiddo in a 10 year old post on an overclock forum.

Sadly OCZ Blade sticks which can run 1066MHz@1.8V seem to be unobtanium.
Best I found is G.Skill PI with 1066MHz@1.9V which should be able to run at 1.8V as well, from what I've read. But those have gigantic heatspreader which is total nonsense for 1.8V-1.9V. Can't use a Macho or Silver Arrow with these.
The best 1.8V sticks I have are OCZ Titanium (old revision) with 800MHz@CL4. But the ALive Dual doesn't like them for mysterious reasons. So I'm stuck with standard 800MHz@CL5 at the moment.

Reply 1 of 14, by The Serpent Rider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

2.1 is the most commonly used voltage for overclocking modules. Phenom II will work just fine.

Last edited by The Serpent Rider on 2022-02-15, 22:48. Edited 2 times in total.

I must be some kind of standard: the anonymous gangbanger of the 21st century.

Reply 2 of 14, by RaiderOfLostVoodoo

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Isn't that too much for the memory controller (which is integrated into the CPU)?
I mean, those were supposed to run with DDR3, which runs at a much lower voltage.
So is it really an urban myth, that it will damage the CPU? Some people on the net claim this.

If 2.1V is fine, I could even get 1066MHz@CL4.
But those are unobtanium as well. 😁

Reply 3 of 14, by The Serpent Rider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

RAM-to-CPU overvoltage wasn't really a thing until Intel Nehalem CPUs were released. Athlon64 happily accepted ludicrous DDR voltages (3.3v-5v) with legendary Winbond memory and Phenom CPUs aren't that different.

Reply 4 of 14, by bakemono

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

AMD themselves said you can go up to 2.0V but not above it. If you want to know how far you can go before you fry something I guess you'd have to find someone who fried something 😀

I tried running at 2.05V and it didn't damage my CPU, but then I never could get it to run stable at 1066 and gave up. IMO, AMD screwed up by making that the spec, they should have gone with 933 and then maybe we could have had a decent supply of DIMMs that supported it.

again another retro game on itch: https://90soft90.itch.io/shmup-salad

Reply 5 of 14, by RaiderOfLostVoodoo

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Mhhh, after BIOS-Update the board has a 5.33:1 divider for DDR2-1066.
If I overclock the FSB to 225MHz, it should be able to run DDR2-1200, or am I wrong? 😁

Reply 7 of 14, by RaiderOfLostVoodoo

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
DrSwizz wrote on 2022-02-19, 12:23:

Yes, with the right memory modules you can clock them towards 700MHz (1400 effective) with the Phenom IIs.

😮 😮 😮
And which is the "right"?

Reply 9 of 14, by The Serpent Rider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Micron D9 chips require voltages over 2.4v for 1300+ mhz, which is not sustainable, because they are prone to die very easily on high voltage. Not to mention that it's 1 Gb modules and overclocking four of them is a bit tricky, so you're pretty much stuck with only 2 Gb. And all 2 Gb DDR2 modules are considered "trash", because best of them can achieve only ~1200 on 6-6-6 timings.

Reply 10 of 14, by DrSwizz

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

You don't necessarily need to use quite that high voltage provided you have good memory sticks and you make proper use of the "clock skew" setting (provided your motherboard has one). Years ago I did a lot of testing how high I could get a stable memory overclock using reasonable voltages and I was able reach 650MHz with 5-5-5-15 timings around 2.2V.

Last edited by Stiletto on 2022-02-23, 04:44. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 11 of 14, by ChrisK

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

The Phenom's datasheet should obtain all the relevant voltage specs for the memory interface. They are also designed to work with DDR2 and DDR3, so common DDR2 voltage levels should be just fine.

@RaiderOfLostVoodoo:
Have you ever thought about fitting the board with 4x 4GB modules? Unfortunately these are a bit hard to obtain and most (all?) are just plain DDR2-800.

Reply 12 of 14, by RaiderOfLostVoodoo

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
ChrisK wrote on 2022-02-19, 21:41:

Have you ever thought about fitting the board with 4x 4GB modules? Unfortunately these are a bit hard to obtain and most (all?) are just plain DDR2-800.

Why should I?
Win98SE and WinXP 32bit both can only handle up to 3.5GB. So it's a bit pointless to go above 4GB.

Reply 13 of 14, by ChrisK

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Seen from that perspective, you are right.
But anything newer than WinXP x86 can use it and the board supports 16 GB.

Here's a spec I found regarding the DDR2 voltage for AM3 CPUs (only transient values):

DDR2_Voltage.JPG
Filename
DDR2_Voltage.JPG
File size
54.9 KiB
Views
File license
Public domain

Steady state voltage is 1.8V +-0.1V.
Unfortunately no absolute max values found.

Reply 14 of 14, by RaiderOfLostVoodoo

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
ChrisK wrote on 2022-02-21, 13:24:

Seen from that perspective, you are right.
But anything newer than WinXP x86 can use it and the board supports 16 GB.

There is no need to install anything newer than WinXP.
If I need a secondary surf machine, I can use my late XP build (Z68 board, binned i5-2500K which can do >5GHz).