Using Pentium for old DOS and Win 98

Topic actions

Reply 20 of 22, by AirIntake

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Linkintime wrote on 2022-02-17, 22:11:
tyuper wrote on 2022-02-17, 22:06:
I suspected that /PA will not work, because there's no port 92h logic implemented on PIIX3 southbridge. But that situation with […]
Show full quote
AirIntake wrote on 2022-02-17, 21:45:

XMGR did not like the /PA flag, it gave me an A20 error and failed to load. /PN didn't cause an error and Doom loads just fine with the /PN flag or with no flags. However with no flag or with /PN nothing is loading high so I have only 472kB conventional memory vs 619kB with himem.sys.

With HimemX nothing is loading high as well so same 472kB conventional memory, but Doom runs fine.

Not sure why XMGR and HimemX aren't allowing stuff to load high, I swear they used to work fine, but I normally just use himem.sys.

I suspected that /PA will not work, because there's no port 92h logic implemented on PIIX3 southbridge. But that situation with /PN intrigued me, because while XMGR and HimemX are loading fine on my two A101's (one of them is New Old Stock) and available convention memory of about 620 kB, they both hang when I attempt to run anything, be it simple EDIT.COM, MI.COM (replacement for MEM from UMBPCI's author) or other protected mode/DOS-extender software. I'm starting to suspect mine Pentium 120 for wrong-doing.

Thank you very much for taking your time to check this. I appreciate it.

I'm not sure, but to LOADHIGH there have to be UMBs enabled and to do it, EMM386 or UMBPCI have to be loaded.

Will I have trouble using memaker on this motherboard to get more conventional memory for X-Wing for example?

No, it's a good motherboard without too many option ROMs blocking EMS386 page file from being created. My conventional memory issue has something to do with my boot disk. I have 619KB free when I boot from Windows 98 into MS-DOS mode.

Edit: The conventional memory issue was due to DBLSPACE loading because of DBLSPACE.BIN and .INI files in the root of C. It was unrelated to XMGR, HimemX, or the M520 motherboard.

Casio BE-300 Advancement Society alumni

Reply 21 of 22, by tyuper

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Linkintime wrote on 2022-02-17, 21:39:

I appreciate it.
Thanks that processor support is crazy. Please let me know if he is willing to release; that'd be awesome.

Jan gave permission, so here's the BIOS.

Attachments

Reply 22 of 22, by Linkintime

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
tyuper wrote on 2022-02-18, 11:10:
Linkintime wrote on 2022-02-17, 21:39:

I appreciate it.
Thanks that processor support is crazy. Please let me know if he is willing to release; that'd be awesome.

Jan gave permission, so here's the BIOS.

Thanks for that! I got lucky out of the gate and found a compatible coast. This runs great! I even got USB drivers for Windows 98 SE to work. I might get the max ram later. So far with a 166 Mhz and 44 MB of ram if I use a desktop background it slow waaaay down but I don't need all that. I really wish that someone would make a CD Rom drive emulator like the Gotek floppy drive emulator. One usb stick with a library of CDroms would be nice.