VOGONS

First post, by Jabberwock

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello!

I accidentally got a FieldWorks FW7633P and trying to figure out what to do with this beast.
Being an unholy hybrid of the typical laptop and the portable PC It have a lot of pros and cons.

What is really cool in this thing:

• Brutal and heartless rugged military spec die-cast magnesium alloy case
  • Only one PCMCIA. But 3 full-size PCI and 3 full-size ISA. Yeah, babe!
  • TFT screen is better than most of it's era.
  • It is very, very upgradable.
    I think, it can be possible to replace it's 133Mhz pentium to the 233Mhz one.
    And it uses standard 72-pin SiMM, they are expensive, but I can get them, theoretically.
    Also it have a really big amount of the free space inside.

Problems:

1. No VGA input, so I can't (yet?) use Voodoo II on it's own screen. Voodoo II(may be even SLI)-enabled laptop, how cool it can be?
  2. It stretches 320x200 and textmode to the 800x600, so console and most DOS games look terrible. And I can't find an option in BIOS which can change this.

It can become an ultimate 9x battlestation or a total disappointment with no Voodoo and Dos games. If it will disappoint me, I will sell it.

So, I am looking for somebody who had deal with these devices and can tell me how to fix these problems.

Attachments

• FW7633P-07.jpg
    Filename
    FW7633P-07.jpg
    File size
    156.88 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Public domain
  • FW7633P-05.jpg
    Filename
    FW7633P-05.jpg
    File size
    161.12 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Public domain
  • FW7633P-04.jpg
    Filename
    FW7633P-04.jpg
    File size
    194.19 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Public domain
  • FW7633P-03.jpg
    Filename
    FW7633P-03.jpg
    File size
    101.93 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Public domain
  • FW7633P-01.jpg
    Filename
    FW7633P-01.jpg
    File size
    237.05 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Public domain

Reply 1 of 8, by dionb

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

What a beast!

As for your considerations...
- VGA-in is pretty much non-existent on laptop screens, as they tend have a fully digital interface with VGA chip. A Voodoo(2) wouldn't work here. You could stick in a PowerVR PCX card as they do everything over the PCI bus.
- This is an early 1996 machine, so highly unlikely to support split 2.8V voltage required by a 233MMX. In theory you could go up to P54CS 200MHz (or stick in a P55C and hope it survives the higher voltage), but beware that the Pentium 200 draws over 4W more than the 133MHz version, and a P55C would use even more, particularly if overvolted. The VRM circuitry might not be able to supply that, and whatever thermal system is in there (heatsinks, fans) might not be able to get rid of the heat.
- There are screen 'stretching' TSRs available for some period video chips (CT65550 - see here Re: Toshiba Tecra 720CDT = Great DOS Gaming Laptop ), but whether they work depends on what's in there.
- 72p SIMMs expensive? Not sure where you're located, but both in EU and US they are dirt cheap. Even on eBay 16MB SIMMs go for EUR 5 or so, and someone's selling 4x 64MB for USD 36... Note that most Intel chipsets in 1996 could only cache 64MB of RAM, so performance will actually drop if you go over that. How bad the hit is, depends on which OS you're running (DOS and Win9x: bad, WinNT family or Linux: very mild), what cache you have (PLB performs better than async, so the loss is higher) and what you're doing - thrashing to HDD when you run out of RAM is far, far slower than uncached RAM. Of course it might have an i430HX chipset with two Tag RAM chips, in which case it can cache up to 512MB, but that would surprise me. Finally on RAM - if the chipset is the older i430NX (which would surprise me in 1996, but this is a very odball machine so not impossible, particularly with mil-spec conservatism) you need FP, not EDO SIMMs. In that case it can cache 256MB though...

I haven't been able to find pics of the innards of the system, or decent specs. Getting those should be first priorty so we can see what we are up against.

As for the "ultimate 9x battlestation" - er, even if you manage to get it upgraded to the hilt, it's still a 1996 system. Best case you get the P233MMX working somehow and chipset is an i430HX with dual tag so you can load it up with >128MB of RAM at full performance. Maybe the scaling TSR even works for its video chip. You're still stuck with a P233MMX and whatever non-gaming video chip is in there. When people talk about 'ultimate 9x battlestation' they usually are referring to something running Win98SE, released in 1999, with hardware to match, i.e. P3/Athlon era stuff, or significantly newer than that (eg P4 with i865 or similar). This thing will run Windows 95 decently, but even late Windows 95 games will be beyond it. I'd stick to DOS or 2D Win95 stuff with one of these tbh.

Reply 2 of 8, by Jabberwock

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I had no time to disassemble it properly yet, but there is a little hatch under the keyboard.

Under the lid there is a typical Socket-7 slot with a Pentium-S 133 under a little bit unusual cooler, cache slot with 512k of cache, 4 SiMM slots, with two of them occupied by 16mb SiMMs (I have another 16x2 set added, so it have 16x4 now.), an edge of FDD and a lot of free space at the left side of the motherboard. FieldWorks had a similar model with a CD-ROM drive under keyboard, but in my laptop this space is just empty.

Also it reveals it have Cirrus Logic 7543 for videocard and an unusual ALI-1511 chipset (02/28/98-ALI-1511/12/13-V:1.1.4-C-00 in post screen). I did not make any research about this chipset yet, but according to the wiki it can accept even 768Mb of RAM.

dionb wrote on 2022-02-20, 23:46:

- VGA-in is pretty much non-existent on laptop screens, as they tend have a fully digital interface with VGA chip. A Voodoo(2) wouldn't work here. You could stick in a PowerVR PCX card as they do everything over the PCI bus.

Never heard about PowerVR PCX before, they are very interesting and I definitely want one. They seems to be pretty rare, so I will look for them, but still hope to find some hacky way to get to the video in.

- This is an early 1996 machine, so highly unlikely to support split 2.8V voltage required by a 233MMX... In theory you could go up to P54CS 200MHz (or stick in a P55C and hope it survives the higher voltage), but beware that the Pentium 200 draws over 4W more than the 133MHz version, and a P55C would use even more, particularly if overvolted. The VRM circuitry might not be able to supply that, and whatever thermal system is in there (heatsinks, fans) might not be able to get rid of the heat.

Voltage can be described in the ALI-1511 datasheet. Not found it (yet). Heatsinks and fan looks rock-solid, battery is dead anyway, so I think 4W+ is okay.

- There are screen 'stretching' TSRs available for some period video chips (CT65550 - see here Re: Toshiba Tecra 720CDT = Great DOS Gaming Laptop ), but whether they work depends on what's in there.

In the Pentium era I had only CRT screens around, so just did not know about these TSRs. But it looks like they are for screen-stretching only, and I want screen-shrinking )
Also I have found (but not tried yet) a BIOS update, which can become a solution.
And there is a tiny little chance that there can be a way to change a 800x600 screen to the 640x480 one, but research is needed.

- 72p SIMMs expensive? Not sure where you're located, but both in EU and US they are dirt cheap...

I am from Russia, it is a very special country in many ways. I don't want to whine here, but getting a decent set of 72p SiMM can become a problem.

As for the "ultimate 9x battlestation"...

May be I was exagerrated a bit. Okay, let's call it an "ultimate Pentium-1 Battlestation" (if I will be able to upgrade CPU/GPU/RAM).

Another info what I have found:
1. SOME software and SOME docs can be downloaded at http://web.archive.org/web/20010513054841if_/ … ield-works.com/
2. According to wiki, "Fieldworks were purchased by Dolch computer systems in April 2005, and in February 2005, Dolch was acquired by Kontron AG from Siegel-Robert, Inc. Kontron had sold its rugged mobile platform to Azonix in 2007". It needs a research also, because of precious docs.

Attachments

• outside.jpg
    Filename
    outside.jpg
    File size
    193.71 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Public domain
  • inside.jpg
    Filename
    inside.jpg
    File size
    75.92 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Public domain
Last edited by Jabberwock on 2022-05-24, 09:41. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 3 of 8, by dionb

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Jabberwock wrote on 2022-02-22, 12:57:

I had no time to disassemble it properly yet, but there is a little hatch under the keyboard.

Under the lid there is a typical Socket-7 slot with a Pentium-S 133 under a little bit unusual cooler, cache slot with 512k of cache, 4 SiMM slots, with two of them occupied by 16mb SiMMs, an edge of FDD and a lot of free space at the left side of the motherboard. FieldWorks had a similar model with a CD-ROM drive under keyboard, but in my laptop this space is just empty.

Also it reveals it have Cirrus Logic 7543 for videocard and an unusual ALI-1511 chipset (02/28/98-ALI-1511/12/13-V:1.1.4-C-00 in post screen). I did not make any research about this chipset yet, but according to the wiki it can accept even 768Mb of RAM.

The Aladdin II - pretty uncommon indeed. I was rather suspicious of the 768MB claim, but it appears to check out - the chipset support 3 banks of RAM and 128MB per SIMM, so with 6 SIMM slots you could do 768MB. If you only have four, 512MB is the max. As for cacheable limits, I can't find a datasheet for the Aladdin II / M1511 either. Assuming (dangerous, but best we can do) that behaviour would be same as on Aladdin III, which is better known, it seems to depend on the tag RAM chip. If it's an 8-bit tag, it's 64MB, if an 11b tag, 512MB. So the physical (little) chip needs checking. It may be on the COAST module. Not too sure about the video chip, not a CT65550 in any event.

[...]
Never heard about PowerVR PCX before, they are very interesting and I definitely want one. They seems to be pretty rare, so I will look for them, but still hope to find some hacky way to get to the video in.

The PCX is pretty rare but turns up occasionally. I found a working one in a PC (with burned-out PC Chips motherboard and PSU) dumped outside our flat. However if 72p SIMMs are an issue, these are from the same era so may be more tricky - but then again so are the PCI Voodoos...

As for that video-in, you could try a VGA-in grabber card, but I suspect your CPU and PCI performance will be far, far too low for those. Otherwise I don't see any way to get the analog output of the Voodoo into the digital link between that CL card and the TFT screen.

Voltage can be described in the ALI-1511 datasheet. Not found it (yet). Heatsinks and fan looks rock-solid, battery is dead anyway, so I think 4W+ is okay.

Split voltage vs single voltage is a motherboard thing, not chipset. There exists a motherboard with Aladdin II that has split voltage support - but it actually pre-dates split voltage CPUs so no idea if it would actually be compatible, let alone whether the motherboard in here would be.

In the Pentium era I had only CRT screens around, so just did not know about these TSRs. But it looks like they are for screen-stretching only, and I want screen-shrinking )

Much better stretching than native, so possibly acceptable anyway.

Also I have found (but not tried yet) a BIOS update, which can become a solution.
And there is a tiny little chance that there can be a way to change a 800x600 screen to the 640x480 one, but research is needed.

Would not bank on BIOS settings to change this behaviour, it's not even a system BIOS feature. As for exchanging - that might need modding the VGA too. I'd only consider it if easy and reversible so you don't ruin a special vintage machine.

I am from Russia, it is a very special country in many ways. I don't want to whine here, but getting a decent set of 72p SiMM can become a problem.

OK, perhaps not so easy then - particularly not at this specific time.

May be I was exagerrated a bit. Okay, let's call it an "ultimate Pentium-1 Battlestation" (if I will be able to upgrade CPU/GPU/RAM).

I'd say 64MB would be optimal here as 100% certain to be cacheable; combine with P200 and you should have a nice late Win95 system

Another info what I have found:
1. SOME software and SOME docs can be downloaded at http://web.archive.org/web/20010513054841if_/ … ield-works.com/
2. According to wiki, "Fieldworks were purchased by Dolch computer systems in April 2005, and in February 2005, Dolch was acquired by Kontron AG from Siegel-Robert, Inc. Kontron had sold its rugged mobile platform to Azonix in 2007". It needs a research also, because of precious docs.

Hope you find something, both about the system and the Aladdin II chipset.

Reply 5 of 8, by Jabberwock

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
dionb wrote on 2022-02-22, 15:01:

... it seems to depend on the tag RAM chip. If it's an 8-bit tag, it's 64MB, if an 11b tag, 512MB. So the physical (little) chip needs checking. It may be on the COAST module.

How to check it? 512Mb is more than enough anyway, I lived on a Pentium 200/64 for a few years and it was okay for me. For this laptop I assume 128Mb as maximum, if I can find SiMMs.

...I found a working one in a PC (with burned-out PC Chips motherboard and PSU) dumped outside our flat...

One of my friends found in a dumped-out PC a working GUS. Anyway, all 3D axels I have for PCI is a Voodoo 2 and couple of Savage 4.

As for that video-in, you could try a VGA-in grabber card, but I suspect your CPU and PCI performance will be far, far too low for those.

Maybe I will find some external solution. All this space inside can hold even something like a pico-ITX.

...Split voltage vs single voltage is a motherboard thing, not chipset. There exists a motherboard with Aladdin II that has split voltage support - but it actually pre-dates split voltage CPUs so no idea if it would actually be compatible, let alone whether the motherboard in here would be.

Thanks again. It will wait until disassembling. Is there any way to test it without risk for the device or the processor?

Much better stretching than native, so possibly acceptable anyway.

I think the best way to show 320x200 at 800x600 LCD is to render it as 640x400 at the center.

Would not bank on BIOS settings to change this behaviour, it's not even a system BIOS feature. As for exchanging - that might need modding the VGA too. I'd only consider it if easy and reversible so you don't ruin a special vintage machine.

I have seen something like this in BIOS before. And, of course. I will not risk this machine. It is too special )

I'd say 64MB would be optimal here as 100% certain to be cacheable; combine with P200 and you should have a nice late Win95 system

Yes, 64 is enough, but If I can get more, I'll just make a bigger RAM drive. 32Mb here is okay forr Win98 SE that is installed. I would be (in theory) cannibalize some other machine for 2x32Mb Simm and make it 96, but that machine is my first PC ever and I don't want to ruin it.

Hope you find something, both about the system and the Aladdin II chipset.

Thanks, I will write here, just for case.

Reply 6 of 8, by dionb

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Jabberwock wrote on 2022-02-22, 21:14:

[...]

How to check it?

Read the chip model number on the tag RAM chip. Google it for datasheet or other specs (it's simple SRAM, datasheets almost always available)

One of my friends found in a dumped-out PC a working GUS.

Now I'm jealous - have one too, but was anything but free.

Anyway, all 3D axels I have for PCI is a Voodoo 2 and couple of Savage 4.

Probably not going to help as they all have analog out. I once read someone was able to get his laptop TFT working via the Vesa Feature Connector of his card, but it was a highly unusual laptop screen. Most work with LVDS, which is quite different. That said, it is possible to interface it with DVI or HDMI on a newer card, see here:
https://hackaday.io/project/4177-lvds-laptop- … lay-interfacing

Challenge there is that most PCI cards with DVI or HDMI are 3.3V cards, and those PCI slots are 5V only, but there definitely are some FX5200 cards that have DVI that will wok in a 5V slot.

...Split voltage vs single voltage is a motherboard thing, not chipset. There exists a motherboard with Aladdin II that has split voltage support - but it actually pre-dates split voltage CPUs so no idea if it would actually be compatible, let alone whether the motherboard in here would be.

Thanks again. It will wait until disassembling. Is there any way to test it without risk for the device or the processor?

First thing first is to find out which jumper settings it has. If it is intended to support split-voltage in any way, it will have a big (probably linear) VRM on it, or a VRM socket. A good high-res pic of the motherboard would really help here.

If not, you can just try running a Pentium MMX at 3.2V. Start at lowest clock you can set (conveniently, the 133MHz the system is already set to).

Yes, 64 is enough, but If I can get more, I'll just make a bigger RAM drive.

If you can't cache more than 64MB, you still get the performance hit with a RAM drive in DOS or Win9x as the OS starts filling up from the uncached top of RAM. The RAM drive might well be cached in that case, but doesn't need it.

Reply 7 of 8, by Jabberwock

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Now I'm jealous

Me too. But, as I already said, we are living in a very special country. You can have a GUS for free here and get charged for $25 for a mere S3 Trio 64.

LVDS

I thought about it exactly, when told about "hacky way to get into video-in".
LVDS was created in 1994, and this laptop is produced about 1996-1998. So it can be TTL in theory, but my bet is on LVDS. Also LVDS adapters are cheap and there is a lot of place for one of them.

good high-res pic of the motherboard would really help here

When I have time. It would be really interesting.