VOGONS

First post, by Intel486dx33

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Hey Guys,
I have another NOS 486 motherboard with a Dead Dallas.
It does not have connection pins for an external battery but the markings are there for a jumper and traces for an external
Battery connection. PLEASE SEE PHOTOS.

I was wondering if I could add an external battery by soldering onto the motherboard and wires for an external battery ?
And soldering on a wire for the jumper ?

Attachments

Reply 1 of 12, by stamasd

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I am sure that whatever J10 does, it is not a header for external battery. The Dallas DS12877 does not have pin connections for an external battery.

Last edited by stamasd on 2022-02-22, 22:46. Edited 1 time in total.

I/O, I/O,
It's off to disk I go,
With a bit and a byte
And a read and a write,
I/O, I/O

Reply 2 of 12, by TrashPanda

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

https://ardent-tool.com/misc/Dallas_Rework.html

have a look here, this site might give you pointers on how to dreme .. uhh deal with them pesky Dallas RTCs...

Just uhh forget I mentioned Dremel ok.

Reply 6 of 12, by snufkin

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Intel486dx33 wrote on 2022-02-22, 21:06:
Hey Guys, I have another NOS 486 motherboard with a Dead Dallas. It does not have connection pins for an external battery but th […]
Show full quote

Hey Guys,
I have another NOS 486 motherboard with a Dead Dallas.
It does not have connection pins for an external battery but the markings are there for a jumper and traces for an external
Battery connection. PLEASE SEE PHOTOS.

I was wondering if I could add an external battery by soldering onto the motherboard and wires for an external battery ?
And soldering on a wire for the jumper ?

It's possible that those are for a version of the RTC with a clear function (12887A maybe?). I guess that R2 pulls pin 1 of J10 high and that fitting a jumper will connect pin 1 to Ground, which if pin 1 goes to pin 21 of the RTC would clear the CMOS. I don't think any of the Dallas chips have any pins for an external battery, hence the various mods involving cutting in to the casing to get at the internal battery points.

You can check if I've guessed right by measuring the resistance from J10 pin 1 to the Dallas pin 21. If they're connected then it's CMOS clear. If they're not connected then it might be interesting to find out what J10 does connect to.

Reply 7 of 12, by fool

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

There are some averagely smarter board designers. This option is rare as it needs footprint to solder battery holder in.

Attachments

• MSI_RTC.JPG
    Filename
    MSI_RTC.JPG
    File size
    245.35 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Toshiba T8500 desktop
SAM/CS9233 Wavetable Synthesizer daughterboard
Coming: 40-pin 8MB SIMM kit, CS4232 ISA wavetable sound card

Reply 8 of 12, by mpe

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
snufkin wrote on 2022-02-23, 10:06:

don't think any of the Dallas chips have any pins for an external battery, hence the various mods involving cutting in to the casing to get at the internal battery points.

DS1385/DS1387 does. But it is far less common that DS12887 or like models.

Blog|NexGen 586|S4

Reply 9 of 12, by Intel486dx33

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

The problem I have with cutting into the Dallas is that it is right next to the Bios chip so it is impossible to cut into the side of it
Unless I has some sort of small dremil bit which I don’t

I think I will have to desolder the Dallas and use one of those coin battery adapter replacements.
Once I find the right adapter for my Dallas 1287

Attachments

Reply 10 of 12, by debs3759

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

It might be easier to just replace it with https://www.tindie.com/products/glitchwrks/gw … acement-module/

See my graphics card database at www.gpuzoo.com
Constantly being worked on. Feel free to message me with any corrections or details of cards you would like me to research and add.

Reply 11 of 12, by Intel486dx33

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
debs3759 wrote on 2022-02-23, 12:24:

It might be easier to just replace it with https://www.tindie.com/products/glitchwrks/gw … acement-module/

Yes, is that the right one for the DS1287 replacement ?

Reply 12 of 12, by debs3759

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Yes

See my graphics card database at www.gpuzoo.com
Constantly being worked on. Feel free to message me with any corrections or details of cards you would like me to research and add.