VOGONS

First post, by Klench

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi,
I've got a Mitsuimi..cd drive connected to sound blaster ct1600. Using a 386dx mobo

When powering on machine, cd drive has no power. Its got molex connected. When I unplug the ribbon cable from the drive and boot, the drive has power and the tray opensand closes. why is the tray not opening when the ribbon is connected?

Btw, the hardware combo works fine on my 486 dx motherboard. Cd rom is fine.

Reply 1 of 3, by Grzyb

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

The CD-ROM connector on CT1600 is for Panasonic (also sold as Creative) drives.
What exactly model is that Mitsumi drive?
You need either a card with Mitsumi proprietary interface (eg. CT2600), or IDE interface.

Nie tylko, jak widzicie, w tym trudność, że nie zdołacie wejść no moja górę, lecz i w tym, ze ja do was cały zejść nie mogę, gdyż schodząc, gubię po drodze to, co miałem donieść.

Reply 2 of 3, by Klench

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi, let me give some info and reframe.

1. Soundblaster ct1600 isa card. There is only one ide header and no cd drive brand is specified.
2. Mitsuimi drive. Model fx3205
3. Drive and sound card connected via ultra ide/ata ribbon cable.
This combo works on a 486 motherboard. On my 386 motherboard, a c386cmx., there is no power to the drive when the data ribbon cable is connected. Why? Is there something preventing a 386 from accepting this combo when a 486 accepts the same cable and interface?

Reply 3 of 3, by Klench

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Ok. Got it work. Went off the premise I was not accurate with my 486 combo and the advice I got that the soundcard was proprietary was indeed accurate....and it is accurate!

The cd drive now works. I have it set as cable select. I have the blue ide end if ide cable plugged into my goldstar prime controller card. Thregrey end of my ide cable is plugged into my cd drive. The black end of the ide cable is plugged into my cf reader or hard drive. Cf reader is set to master. Thats what it took. Nothing is plugged into my soundblaster except for the audio cable. I wanted to be super specific here so that others can benefit.