VOGONS

First post, by andre_6

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hello, I can't find any inner degaussing button, it's a monitor from 1992 that was cloned to some extent, so no exterior degauss function, can anyone point it out to me please?

Manual from a very similar if not identical model: https://usermanual.wiki/Document/AOCCM335Moni … 1528136988/view

It must have been stored beside some speakers in the garage of the previous owner, I think a few degauss tries should do the trick. Thank you for your help

Reply 1 of 5, by Byrd

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I've never heard of an internal degaussing "button", it might not have a degausser built in. If there are no wires/coils around the outer edge of the CRT, it doesn't have one. You can pick up degaussing wands instead.

Reply 2 of 5, by pentiumspeed

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Oh no, all color CRTs *will* have a deguassing coil! The posistor looks like a coated disc with two legs and tend to be green or red next to a relay and a deguassing plug near both. Always very close to the hot side AC input.

You will hear a deep whir/hum that fades out quick at every turn on. Have to wait about 15 minutes turned off for this thing to cool off.

Cheers,

Great Northern aka Canada.

Reply 3 of 5, by andre_6

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
pentiumspeed wrote on 2022-02-25, 01:43:

Oh no, all color CRTs *will* have a deguassing coil! The posistor looks like a coated disc with two legs and tend to be green or red next to a relay and a deguassing plug near both. Always very close to the hot side AC input.

You will hear a deep whir/hum that fades out quick at every turn on. Have to wait about 15 minutes turned off for this thing to cool off.

Cheers,

Thank you so much you're a godsend! How do I "engage" it to degauss if there is no button per se? Do I remove the degaussing plug and reinsert? Thanks again

Reply 4 of 5, by mkarcher

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
andre_6 wrote on 2022-02-25, 03:50:

Thank you so much you're a godsend! How do I "engage" it to degauss if there is no button per se? Do I remove the degaussing plug and reinsert? Thanks again

You remove AC power, wait 10 to 15 minutes and re-apply AC power. No need to open the monitor. If you re-apply AC power and you don't hear some "degaussing noise" (which might be anything between a kiss-like sound or a loud bang), the degaussing PTC is likely broken.

Reply 5 of 5, by andre_6

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
mkarcher wrote on 2022-02-25, 06:16:
andre_6 wrote on 2022-02-25, 03:50:

You remove AC power, wait 10 to 15 minutes and re-apply AC power. No need to open the monitor. If you re-apply AC power and you don't hear some "degaussing noise" (which might be anything between a kiss-like sound or a loud bang), the degaussing PTC is likely broken.

Thanks will look into it, worst case scenario replacing the PTC you mentioned doesn't appear that hard of a task. Since it's the original monitor that came with the build at the time I'd like to restore it as best as I can