VOGONS

First post, by Robertkopp

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I got a Dell board with a nforce 4 chipset and I had no problems testing XP. I was underwhelmed with the performance so I thought hey maybe it runs 98 and maybe I get the chipset drivers for it.
This damn system cuts off the mouse and keyboard quite randomly (usb or ps\2) in the middle of the install. Could be before pnp detection, could be just in the very moment you want hit enter the last time to reboot.
I'm not the first person who has this problem or am I? I can give up on that right? I tried at least 10 times.

pc.png
archiveorg.png
https://archive.org/details/@robertkopp

Reply 1 of 5, by The Serpent Rider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Install on another system and boot from Nforce? There's no win9x drivers for Nforce 4 anyway, so only most basic support is possible.

I must be some kind of standard: the anonymous gangbanger of the 21st century.

Reply 2 of 5, by Meatball

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Try using the /p j switch with Windows setup. It will force Windows 98 to use ACPI for newer systems even if it is not recognized by machines.inf.

Setup /p j

Alternatively, try installing with Windows ME.

Otherwise, what Serpent Rider said.

Reply 3 of 5, by Robertkopp

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hey thanks for the tips. The flag got me further than before, but then it happened again.
I checked the bios again and was just turning off all on board devices when I stumbled over the ps/2 port, which was turned off.
Note that the ps/2 mouse worked fine every time I started the setup and that the usb keyboard was affected, too
After turning it on it changed the mouse and keyboard responsiveness completely and I had no problem with the setup anymore.

Last edited by Robertkopp on 2022-02-25, 19:35. Edited 1 time in total.

pc.png
archiveorg.png

Reply 4 of 5, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Heh, wonder if it just cut power and then a 50mA or less efficient mouse was working off vampire power or something (back sucked off other components)

Unicorn herding operations are proceeding, but all the totes of hens teeth and barrels of rocking horse poop give them plenty of hiding spots.

Reply 5 of 5, by Robertkopp

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Serpent you called it. I can not use the IDE controller, it's conflicting with the ACPI interface. Nforce in a nutshell, just how I remembered from my P4 Geforce 3 build back in the day. KEKW I guess
I mean I just wanted to see how DELL and Nvidia can fuck up a 400$ Motherboard. I could not even get the 2 7900GS in SLI running under XP, the system it shipped with.
And yeah Bitwrangler, the logitech pilot mouse just draws 25ma. I think you are onto something with this.
I thought It's the measly '700' watt psu with 16 amps on the 5 volt line.
This board has 6sata, 8 usb and 2 firewire ports, ps/2, serial and parallel, 2 pcie 8x, 1 pci-e 1x, 1 pci-e 2x and 3 pci slots.
But maybe that was just right in the USB 2 days, not sure how bad firewire sucks on the 5 volt line.

pc.png
archiveorg.png