VOGONS

First post, by Sphere478

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

What is the best thermal adhesive for die to aluminum heat spreader and where can I get some? I am open to paste but it must be able to last decades without drying out. This is for under the lid of a k6

Sphere's PCB projects.
-
Sphere’s socket 5/7 cpu collection.
-
SUCCESSFUL K6-2+ to K6-3+ Full Cache Enable Mod
-
Tyan S1564S to S1564D single to dual processor conversion (also s1563 and s1562)

Reply 1 of 8, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I would just use Arctic MX-5.

Good thermal adhesive is a thing of the past. Nobody makes any that is worth anything anymore.

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 2 of 8, by TrashPanda

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
cyclone3d wrote on 2022-02-26, 00:33:

I would just use Arctic MX-5.

Good thermal adhesive is a thing of the past. Nobody makes any that is worth anything anymore.

NT H1 is also another good choice it lasts years, NT H2 is just as good but has a problem of pumping out but that shouldn't be an issue under a IHS.

Reply 3 of 8, by fool

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I think when thermal paste has sets it doesn't lose thermal conductivity. Once paste is applied like infinitely thin layer filling all the gaps, it will stay there. It's all about the small particles that works like a filler. Thermal paste thermal conductivity is far less than alu/copper, no matter what they ad. Problem follows if surfaces moves or are detached -> it's no longer uniform and there's no direct die to metal connection. Thermal adhesives I've seen has even lower thermal conductivity than pastes in general (0.9 vs 7.0 W/mK). Just saying I don't see reason to use adhesive on the die if heat spreader is permanently glued on.

Toshiba T8500 desktop
SAM/CS9233 Wavetable Synthesizer daughterboard
Coming: 40-pin 8MB SIMM kit, CS4232 ISA wavetable sound card

Reply 4 of 8, by weedeewee

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Tech ingredients did a video in the past year about thermal paste & epoxy, if memory serves me right.

Right to repair is fundamental. You own it, you're allowed to fix it.
How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Do not ask Why !
https://www.vogonswiki.com/index.php/Serial_port

Reply 5 of 8, by bestemor

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Well, if you don't need glue/sticky* stuff to keep it in place (jury is still out on that one*) - but can use size+pressure, this might work, though haven't tested it myself yet, and certainly not on(in) a delidded K6... 😅
https://www.amazon.com/Innovation-Cooling-Gra … 8022133-8160039
You can of course cut the pad to a smaller size, while leaving some room in the perimeter for some OTHER sticky stuff to keep the lid or whatever else in place (though depends on how exactly you're going to do all this, and I don't really know how a K6 looks like under the 'hood').

*: Recommandations for thermal tape or glue - mainly for smaller or medium heat sinks

Reply 6 of 8, by Sphere478

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
bestemor wrote on 2022-02-28, 00:41:
Well, if you don't need glue/sticky* stuff to keep it in place (jury is still out on that one*) - but can use size+pressure, thi […]
Show full quote

Well, if you don't need glue/sticky* stuff to keep it in place (jury is still out on that one*) - but can use size+pressure, this might work, though haven't tested it myself yet, and certainly not on(in) a delidded K6... 😅
https://www.amazon.com/Innovation-Cooling-Gra … 8022133-8160039
You can of course cut the pad to a smaller size, while leaving some room in the perimeter for some OTHER sticky stuff to keep the lid or whatever else in place (though depends on how exactly you're going to do all this, and I don't really know how a K6 looks like under the 'hood').

*: Recommandations for thermal tape or glue - mainly for smaller or medium heat sinks

I saw a linus tech tips on that stuff. If I recall it sucked hard core. But is a very interesting idea.

Sphere's PCB projects.
-
Sphere’s socket 5/7 cpu collection.
-
SUCCESSFUL K6-2+ to K6-3+ Full Cache Enable Mod
-
Tyan S1564S to S1564D single to dual processor conversion (also s1563 and s1562)

Reply 7 of 8, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
fool wrote on 2022-02-26, 21:12:

I think when thermal paste has sets it doesn't lose thermal conductivity. Once paste is applied like infinitely thin layer filling all the gaps, it will stay there. It's all about the small particles that works like a filler. Thermal paste thermal conductivity is far less than alu/copper, no matter what they ad. Problem follows if surfaces moves or are detached -> it's no longer uniform and there's no direct die to metal connection. Thermal adhesives I've seen has even lower thermal conductivity than pastes in general (0.9 vs 7.0 W/mK). Just saying I don't see reason to use adhesive on the die if heat spreader is permanently glued on.

Back in the day, not sure what they say now, Arctic Silver always used to say the long term stability of their silver compounds wasn't as good as their Ceramique compound which had the best installed lifetime. Recommending the AS for enthusiast systems where you were gonna clean and reinstall yearly or so. Not sure if they "fixed" their silver pastes in the meantime, or whether it's a thing because the silver eventually oxidises.

Unicorn herding operations are proceeding, but all the totes of hens teeth and barrels of rocking horse poop give them plenty of hiding spots.

Reply 8 of 8, by douglar

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I see lots of "MG Chemicals - 8329" thermal epoxies for sale.

Has anyone tried that compound?

I've got a 40mhz 486dlc that runs 70c hot and trying to attach a head sink with wire on a PGA132 socket is hard.