VOGONS

Reply 40 of 48, by Boohyaka

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
rasz_pl wrote on 2022-03-02, 05:12:

further, the trace has same width behind the via. Find what is being powered.

I have no idea how to tell, it disappears under the ISA slot

trace.jpg
Filename
trace.jpg
File size
437.73 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 41 of 48, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I probably wouldn't use a via as they're usually not as robust for soldering on. I think the two pin jumper pad by the corner mounting hole would work. 24 ga wire looks to be about right. If so, you can run a jumper wire along the board edge and tape it down.

All hail the Great Capacitor Brand Finder

Reply 42 of 48, by Boohyaka

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Finally had the time to do it and guess who's back, alive and kicking? Good ol' P3B-F!

TheNoOne wrote on 2022-03-01, 05:48:

Just solder a small bridge with e.g. a resistor leg over the broken trace as shown here: download/file.php?id=131578&mode=view

Man, thank you SO much. I'm still not over the fact you casually passed by with a couple of posts on this board and shown a picture of the exact issue my board was having, 1 day after I posted. As someone else mentioned: spooky 😁
I can confirm the resistor is not hot anymore, and the LED doesn't light up as soon as PSU is turned on neither.

gdjacobs wrote on 2022-03-03, 01:11:

I probably wouldn't use a via as they're usually not as robust for soldering on. I think the two pin jumper pad by the corner mounting hole would work. 24 ga wire looks to be about right. If so, you can run a jumper wire along the board edge and tape it down.

Good call, that was easy enough and I did exactly that!

For the record and anybody in the future getting to this thread with the same issue: I have been running this board for months at FSB133, with AGP cards on the bus running at 89MHz. I absolutely can't say for sure (by lack of electronic knowledge) this is the reason of the burnt trace, but seeing two cards with such an identical problem this looks like textbook common mode failure, and running things slightly out of specs is as good an explanation as any.

Thanks to anyone else that chimed in along the way, much appreciated!

Reply 43 of 48, by doogie

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Sweeeet! I am thrilled to see success here. I will keep this in mind on my board if/when it dies.

Separately, I'm happy to report that the recap with the Nichicon polys was a success, and the system is stable with my SL4KL 1GHz/100MHz. The caps look futuristic and hilariously out of place, but they won't likely be the cause of failure any decade soon. 😀

Reply 44 of 48, by varrol

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Ah, I've just tried to run my P3B-F rev. 1.04 after ~ 1 year of being turned off and I has not started. Similar symptoms - does not boot, without CPU it beeps, but without RAM or Graphics - no beep.
I've cleaned all pads (I had this many times when old computer did not start) - but no change - also tried to search for burned path, but on my motherboard it looks fine.

I'll try to dig further - maybe even put out BIOS chip and reprogram it - but I doubt this is the cause.

Reading through this topic and some scraps of information it seems that this board is prone to fail for no apparent reason. However this topic proves it can be fixed sometimes.

Any suggestions? Maybe I also have a burned path - even the same - but somewhere else?

AOpen AX6B+ | P3 1G | 1GB ECC REG | FX5200 | CT4500
AOpen AX59pro | K6-2 450M | 256MB | Rage 128
Asus CUBX-E | P3 1G | 512MB | GF4 TI4200 | YMF719E-S
Asus P3B-F | P3 933M | 384MB | Radeon 9200 | CT4520
Asus P5A | P55C 200M | 256MB | Riva TNT | CT3600

Reply 45 of 48, by varrol

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Reprogramming BIOS chip did not help. I've noticed that the chip next to IDE connectors and RAM slots is heating up quite much. That would make sense as I got error beep when there is no CPU, but no RAM has no effect - so something with RAM memory failed. I've noticed some corrosion on RAM and CPU slots - will try to clean it up more carefully - maybe.

Reply 46 of 48, by ciornyi

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hey mate , sad news .
Chip that heating is more likely power regulator its ok that is hot. Since you experience one as able to programm bios chips id assume you could check if voltage of 2.0 V present on cpu . Other than this you could use post card if you have one , probably ram slot or ram itself has defect / bad contact. Pics would be helpfull also

DOS: 166mmx/16mb/Y719/S3virge
DOS/95: PII333/128mb/AWE64/TNT2M64
Win98: P3_900/256mb/SB live/3dfx V3
Win Me: Athlon 1700+/512mb/Audigy2/Geforce 3Ti200
Win XP: E8600/4096mb/SB X-fi/HD6850

Reply 47 of 48, by varrol

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I got back to this board for a little time today - cleaned up CPU slot very carefully - was a lot of green oxide.
It did not help, so I examined the slot and found a small scrap of something looking metallic blocking one connector - it was going back and then stuck with this scrap. I removed it, examined slot with magnifying glass and now it looks perfect.
Sadly still not working with the same effect.

I doubt that this is a RAM slot - when no RAM is inserted, motherboard should beep an error - and it does not - it beeps though when I remove the CPU.

I'll get back here next time when I find a slot to work on it - maybe I'll finally buy a post card. On the other hand I feel that I'm going to get rid of this motherboard...

Reply 48 of 48, by AlucarD86

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Have the exact same issue and a member was kind enough to redirect me to this post which helped me identify the broken trace.

Also have an Asus P3B-F Rev. 1.04 and can confirm that the trace called D27 is blown on mine and the Resistor turns burning hot.

Re: ASUS P3B-F Rev. 1.0.4 won‘t boot black screen

PC Setup: Mainboard ASUS CUBX | CPU Intel Pentium III-S Tualatin 1.4 GHz | Memory 780 MB SDRam | Soundcard Creative SB Audigy SB0160 | GPUs Nvidia FX5900 Ulta Matrox M3D PCI | HDD 2x40 GB WD/Seagate | OS Win98SE and WinXPSP1 in dual boot