VOGONS

First post, by vkcpolice

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

What would give better performance i have both a slot celron 366mhz and a Pentium 400mhz
i didnt notice much difference when gaming while playing the original cod
the Pentium 2 cpu had a huge heat sink but no fan i pulled it out of a old dell computer.
the cpu got very hot so i shutdown and put the celron back in.

ps i was running a nvidia 550fx pci and 192mb ram

Reply 1 of 11, by AlexZ

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Celeron 366 clocked at 550Mhz (5.5 x 100). Buy a few of them and one of them will run at 550 for sure.

Pentium III 900E, ECS P6BXT-A+, 384MB RAM, NVIDIA GeForce FX 5600 128MB, Voodoo 2 12MB, 80GB HDD, Yamaha SM718 ISA, 19" AOC 9GlrA
Athlon 64 3400+, MSI K8T Neo V, 1GB RAM, NVIDIA GeForce 7600GT 512MB, 250GB HDD, Sound Blaster Audigy 2 ZS

Reply 2 of 11, by bofh.fromhell

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
vkcpolice wrote on 2022-02-26, 15:05:
What would give better performance i have both a slot celron 366mhz and a Pentium 400mhz i didnt notice much difference when ga […]
Show full quote

What would give better performance i have both a slot celron 366mhz and a Pentium 400mhz
the Pentium 2 cpu had a huge heat sink but no fan i pulled it out of a old dell computer.

Pentium 2 at 400MHz will outperform a Celeron at 366MHz in everything.
~10% higher frequency does its thing, but more importantly the P2 runs at 100MHz FSB compared to the Celeron's 66MHz.

Given the same frequency and FSB its much closer.
A Celeron 300MHz easily becomes a C450MHz and can them be compared directly to the P2-450MHz.
As far as i can remember games often favored the Celeron and productivity stuff liked the P2.

And as mentioned above, there is a chance your C366 can run at 550MHz, making it a lot faster then your P2-400 =)
If your motherboard allows changing FSB regardless of what the CPU tells it to use then just try 100MHz and hope.
All hope is not lost for OEM boards tho, the famed "B21" pin trick should work regardless.

Reply 3 of 11, by Sphere478

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

They are the same chip with some configuration and feature differences

Celeron fsb is 33 mhz slower
The celeron core is 33mhz slower
The celeron has less cache

Others are correct, there shouldn’t be anything that the celeron is faster at.

Interesting side note. I recently found a article where someone managed to put two slot celerons in dual processor configuration

Sphere's PCB projects.
-
Sphere’s socket 5/7 cpu collection.
-
SUCCESSFUL K6-2+ to K6-3+ Full Cache Enable Mod
-
Tyan S1564S to S1564D single to dual processor conversion (also s1563 and s1562)

Reply 4 of 11, by rasz_pl

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Sphere478 wrote on 2022-02-26, 18:32:

Interesting side note. I recently found a article where someone managed to put two slot celerons in dual processor configuration

Didnt that require quite elaborate mod involving drilling out pins?

Open Source AT&T Globalyst/NCR/FIC 486-GAC-2 proprietary Cache Module reproduction

Reply 5 of 11, by Sphere478

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
rasz_pl wrote on 2022-02-27, 00:04:

Didnt that require quite elaborate mod involving drilling out pins?

Yes

Sphere's PCB projects.
-
Sphere’s socket 5/7 cpu collection.
-
SUCCESSFUL K6-2+ to K6-3+ Full Cache Enable Mod
-
Tyan S1564S to S1564D single to dual processor conversion (also s1563 and s1562)

Reply 6 of 11, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
They are the same chip with some configuration and feature differences […]
Show full quote

They are the same chip with some configuration and feature differences

Celeron fsb is 33 mhz slower
The celeron core is 33mhz slower
The celeron has less cache

Others are correct, there shouldn’t be anything that the celeron is faster at.

Covington core Celerons had no L2 cache and are considered to be quite poor relative to Klamath and Deschutes Pentium II CPUs with 512kb L2 cache at half speed. Mendocino core Celerons (Celeron As) had 128kb of L2 cache at full speed, so they had a performance advantage with tight looped code.

All hail the Great Capacitor Brand Finder

Reply 7 of 11, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
vkcpolice wrote on 2022-02-26, 15:05:
What would give better performance i have both a slot celron 366mhz and a Pentium 400mhz i didnt notice much difference when ga […]
Show full quote

You could shoehorn a fan to or close to the huge passive heatsink and then retest it to see if the overheating still occures.

The 2 CPUs should be close in performance, but I'd pick the Pentium 2 400MHz because it's still a little bit faster and probably easier to cool more quietly as it has that huge heatsink attached to it.
It probably doesn't even need a whole lot of airflow to keep cool btw but it will still need some.

The Dell it came out of probably had some kind of air duct to help with cooling it via the PSU fan.

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 8 of 11, by Anonymous Coward

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

One advantage of the Celeron 366 is that it has less parts to fail. If we're talking about the S370 version, they have an integrated heat spreader making them very hard to damage. I owned both a Celeron 366 and a PII-400 in the late 90s. I ran the Celeron 366 overclocked to 412MHz on a 75MHz bus. I couldn't get mine to do 550 as envisioned. I remember at 412 its performance was very close to the PII-400. The Celeron setup was completely reliable, and I never had the slightest issue with it. The PII-400 on the other hand just suddenly died one day. I think I bought it in 1998, and it died in 1999. This was surprising to me, especially since it had never been overclocked! It was the SECC2 version, made in Ireland.

"Will the highways on the internets become more few?" -Gee Dubya
V'Ger XT|Upgraded AT|Ultimate 386|Super VL/EISA 486|SMP VL/EISA Pentium

Reply 9 of 11, by rmay635703

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Since I was always moving systems I had tons of trouble with “slot” systems didn’t matter if it was Slot A or 1 , my slot a burned traces or bad solder joints to
PCI 1, sdram 1, temperature sensor, fan headers

I kept it running a decade by constantly reseating things and by hard wiring components

The socketed systems I had were mostly rock solid, though systems made in the last 15 years seem to have garbage proprietary power supplies

Reply 10 of 11, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Slot 1 always seems to have "The Nintendo problem".... you gotta pull the cartridge out and blow on it when it don't work.

Unicorn herding operations are proceeding, but all the totes of hens teeth and barrels of rocking horse poop give them plenty of hiding spots.

Reply 11 of 11, by vkcpolice

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Tetrium wrote on 2022-02-28, 13:29:

The Dell it came out of probably had some kind of air duct to help with cooling it via the PSU fan.

correct the dell had a fan on the back of the case that was facing the cpu
it did get very hot so ive got to find a fan to fit onto it.
i dont have anything on hand atm and the heatsink is huge.
I will post pics of both the cpus next time i have the case open