VOGONS

First post, by Wilius

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hi everyone,

I have a NanTan/Clevo/Gericom FMA7600 Laptop.
It's almost in pristine condition.
Unfortunately, at the moment, the laptop is unusable.
Ever since the CMOS battery has died, the Notebook prompts me to enter a ROM password.
Which, in itself, is not the problem. I do know the master password.
The issue is that the laptop won't respond to any key press.
Even with an external keyboard, the same issue occurs.
The only exceptions are the return key and the Ctrl+Alt+Del combination to reboot the machine.
I have no clue if this issue is hardware or software related.
Has anyone an idea what I could try now?

Edit: While the machine itself is still not working, I was at least able to recover the data from the hard drive.
Regardless, I still would be more than happy if this issue could somehow be resolved.
What more information do I need to provide, in order for you guys to help me?

Edit 2: I don't know what happened, but suddenly I was able to type in the password. I guess my issue is solved then.

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Reply 1 of 9, by mophus

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Can you please give the defalut password? All urls for manual are dead and i can't find factory password after battery died.
thanx.

Edit. Since im new here i can`t write PM to author. Can someone help me out to tell him about this topic?

Reply 2 of 9, by Doornkaat

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
mophus wrote on 2023-01-28, 15:06:

Can you please give the defalut password? All urls for manual are dead and i can't find factory password after battery died.
thanx.

Edit. Since im new here i can`t write PM to author. Can someone help me out to tell him about this topic?

Try quoting a member's post when you want them notified. On default settings members will receive a notification when quoted.👍

Wilius wrote on 2022-03-03, 18:05:

Reply 3 of 9, by Wilius

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hi mophus.

Below is a list of passwords that are likely to work.
Unfortunately, I no longer recall which one worked for me.
You'll have to try I guess.

ami
amidecod
amipswd
AMIPSWD
AMI
A.M.I.
aammii
AMI.KEY
AMISETUP
AMI_SW (I think this was it)
bios310
BIOSPASS
CMOSPWD
KILLCMOS
master
ami.kez

If your Laptop doesn't have the "qwerty" keyboard layout, I advise you to get a picture for reference.
As soon as the laptop asks you to enter the password, its keyboard is automatically set to the "qwerty" layout.

If you can solder, you may want to replace the CMOS battery. It is directly soldered to the board.
You will need to order a BR1225 battery with print contacts.
This is how it should look like: https://ce8dc832c.cloudimg.io/v7/_cdn_/44/64/ … d0bdc13faf4451a

Finally, letters do not appear when you type in the password.
When the password was incorrect, I recommend rebooting your laptop, rather than trying again.

I hope this helps.
Good luck!

Reply 4 of 9, by Horun

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Wilius wrote on 2023-01-29, 01:23:

Hi mophus.

Below is a list of passwords that are likely to work....

Did you ever find any documentation for your laptop ?
Tried looking thru archive org but Gericom was just a reseller with no good info and the NanTan and Clevo sites did not have good links to the old manuals.

Hate posting a reply and then have to edit it because it made no sense 😁 First computer was an IBM 3270 workstation with CGA monitor. Stuff: https://archive.org/details/@horun

Reply 5 of 9, by Wilius

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Horun wrote on 2023-01-29, 01:41:

Hi mophus.

Below is a list of passwords that are likely to work....

Did you ever find any documentation for your laptop ?
Tried looking thru archive org but Gericom was just a reseller with no good info and the NanTan and Clevo sites did not have good links to the old manuals.

Yes, I have! I've managed to get my hands on the Software and Hardware User's Manual.
And I even found the original driver disks for Windows 3.1.
If you could tell me, how and where to legally archive the manuals and drivers, I'm happily going to do that.

Attachments

Reply 6 of 9, by Horun

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

You can post to Archive.org or a Google drive....

Hate posting a reply and then have to edit it because it made no sense 😁 First computer was an IBM 3270 workstation with CGA monitor. Stuff: https://archive.org/details/@horun

Reply 8 of 9, by mophus

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Hi mophus. […]
Show full quote

Hi mophus.

Below is a list of passwords that are likely to work.
Unfortunately, I no longer recall which one worked for me.
You'll have to try I guess.

ami
amidecod
amipswd
AMIPSWD
AMI
A.M.I.
aammii
AMI.KEY
AMISETUP
AMI_SW (I think this was it)
bios310
BIOSPASS
CMOSPWD
KILLCMOS
master
ami.kez

If your Laptop doesn't have the "qwerty" keyboard layout, I advise you to get a picture for reference.
As soon as the laptop asks you to enter the password, its keyboard is automatically set to the "qwerty" layout.

If you can solder, you may want to replace the CMOS battery. It is directly soldered to the board.
You will need to order a BR1225 battery with print contacts.
This is how it should look like: https://ce8dc832c.cloudimg.io/v7/_cdn_/44/64/ … d0bdc13faf4451a

Finally, letters do not appear when you type in the password.
When the password was incorrect, I recommend rebooting your laptop, rather than trying again.

I hope this helps.
Good luck!

Yep. AMI_SW worked. Thank you.