VOGONS

First post, by Chadti99

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

So eight of nine of these sram chips arrived to me intact, unfortunately this guy is half missing a few legs. Can this be repaired in some fashion that would work in a dip socket reliably again?

Attachments

Reply 1 of 3, by weedeewee

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

solder some pins to it.
In these cases the left over legs of a thru hole capacitor diode resistor or other can be used and trimmed to length.

Right to repair is fundamental. You own it, you're allowed to fix it.
How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Do not ask Why !
https://www.vogonswiki.com/index.php/Serial_port

Reply 2 of 3, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I have some dead chips that I harvest pins from and solder on top of old broken ones, it works very nice because of that flat surface chip pins have - I solder the good pin+flat surface on top the old flat surface

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 3 of 3, by mdog69

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Buy a turned pin IC socket, push the good pins of the IC into it, then use a soldering iron to solder the stubs of the broken pins onto the socket pin.

Turned pin sockets are usually made from glass filled insulation, and the pins offer more surface area to solder to.

The downside is that when you insert a turned pin socket into a non-turned pin IC socket, you tend to spread the contacts, meaning if you find a replacement IC with a full set of pins the stretched socket may not grip it properly.