VOGONS

First post, by ZaggiX

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Good day everybody,
I have had this old little notebook since a was a child, my father bought it used probably in '99-2000 and I got it around 2004-2005 as a hand-me-down. Since then I kept it to mess around from time to time and it has always worked fine until at least one year ago. Sadly, when I turned it on recently the screen showed a completely white image, as you can see in the picture. The rest of the computer is still working, I can hear the BIOS post beeping and the hard disk grinding while loading MS-DOS 7.10. I can type commands blindly (e.g. accessing the floppy drive) and confirm they are executed correctly. I also hooked up an external LCD display and that works fine, so I believe the graphics chip is not busted.
What could have possibly gone wrong? I'm no expert in repairing these old laptops and I've never completely disassembled this one, except replacing the hard drive. I would like to know if there is a way to repair it, but I'm scared destroy the notoriously brittle plastics while opening it. I wouldn't want want to throw it away as it's a childhood memory, also I think it'd be a pity since I have all its accessories (the external SCSI CDROM and floppy drives).

Attachments

Reply 1 of 1, by maestro

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

How's it going? Any change in display?

I think you need to disassemble the Omnibook enough so that you can inspect the flexible display cables for damage and try reseating them into the motherboard. If you're lucky your connector is just loose, but if reseating them doesn't work then you might want to buy a second Omnibook with a good screen and perform a transplant operation. It's not hard to take them apart, the screen is like a separate component that you can replace on it's own without too much effort and you don't need to remove too much plastic to get to it. There's also an official HP repair PDF on the internet that will prove invaluable for this project.