VOGONS

Reply 20 of 30, by TrashPanda

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Warlord wrote on 2022-03-11, 05:15:

I've treated hardware like shit for 100s of years, and I have never had anything die from ESD.

Me either .. old or new parts, I still take precautions but nothing as crazy as some people believe is needed, different story with parts I didn't buy however.

Reply 21 of 30, by dionb

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
TrashPanda wrote on 2022-03-11, 06:24:

I've treated hardware like shit for 100s of years, and I have never had anything die from ESD.

Me either .. old or new parts, I still take precautions but nothing as crazy as some people believe is needed, different story with parts I didn't buy however.

Thing is, avoiding ESD doesn't need all that crazy stuff. It just needs basic understanding of static electricity. Yes, if you enure a proper, grounded static workstation, wear static-proof grounded jacket, a grounding wrist strap and never ever let any component out of an anti-static bag outisde of this setting, you know you're safe and can prove it in an audit. But in a non-audit situation you get 99% of the benefit from just ensuring your work surface is badly conductive, i.e. wood or if it's shiny, put some cardboard on it (avoids scratching shiny surface too), and wearing cotton clothes instead of nasty synthetics or woollen jumpers. Touch the case of a computer before sticking your hands inisde. Also, newspaper has almost exactly same electrical properties as antistatic bags. Nothing there that requires expense or inconvenience.

As for the "never had anything die from ESD" - how do you know? Have you never had a components die unexpectedly with no visible damage? Doesn't have to be ESD, but unless you stick the chips under an SEM, you can't be sure it's not...

Reply 22 of 30, by dormcat

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
TrashPanda wrote on 2022-03-09, 02:32:

lots of places, especially if the humidity is high or the floor has carpeting, hot dry conditions can also cause static but where that card is sitting it wont ever be an issue.

On the contrary: high humidity decreases risk of static shock.

When I spent two years in southern California I got electric shock on a daily basis: opening door knobs and car doors, undressing wool sweaters, and even when flipping light switches. I had to keep my hands slightly wet and moistened with cream/lotion to avoid getting shocked. I even developed a complex procedure for undressing sweaters: go to bathroom, turn on faucet, touch sink water and then metal faucet, smear some water all over the sweater, before I could start undressing.

Back in Taiwan I got electric shocked less than once per YEAR; only on very cold and dry sunny day right after a cold wave (and only when the cold wave is strong enough to kill elderly and/or homeless people and become headline news).

Last edited by dormcat on 2022-03-11, 10:17. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 23 of 30, by TrashPanda

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
dionb wrote on 2022-03-11, 09:56:
TrashPanda wrote on 2022-03-11, 06:24:

Thing is, avoiding ESD doesn't need all that crazy stuff. It just needs basic understanding of static electricity. Yes, if you enure a proper, grounded static workstation, wear static-proof grounded jacket, a grounding wrist strap and never ever let any component out of an anti-static bag outisde of this setting, you know you're safe and can prove it in an audit. But in a non-audit situation you get 99% of the benefit from just ensuring your work surface is badly conductive, i.e. wood or if it's shiny, put some cardboard on it (avoids scratching shiny surface too), and wearing cotton clothes instead of nasty synthetics or woollen jumpers. Touch the case of a computer before sticking your hands inisde. Also, newspaper has almost exactly same electrical properties as antistatic bags. Nothing there that requires expense or inconvenience.

As for the "never had anything die from ESD" - how do you know? Have you never had a components die unexpectedly with no visible damage? Doesn't have to be ESD, but unless you stick the chips under an SEM, you can't be sure it's not...

I find Carpeting and lino floors with rubber soled shoes the two worst offenders for static, and yea touching the chassis of a grounded PC case is the best way of removing any static you may be carrying, note I said grounded, a PC case not plugged into a grounded wall socket is not grounded.

Static no matter where it comes from needs a safe path to ground and a grounded PC case is likely the safest path.

Reply 24 of 30, by TrashPanda

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
dormcat wrote on 2022-03-11, 10:16:
On the contrary: high humidity decreases risk of static shock. […]
Show full quote
TrashPanda wrote on 2022-03-09, 02:32:

lots of places, especially if the humidity is high or the floor has carpeting, hot dry conditions can also cause static but where that card is sitting it wont ever be an issue.

On the contrary: high humidity decreases risk of static shock.

When I spent two years in southern California I got electric shock on a daily basis: opening door knobs and car doors, undressing wool sweaters, and even when flipping light switches. I had to keep my hands slightly wet and moistened with cream/lotion to avoid getting shocked. I even developed a complex procedure for undressing sweaters: go to bathroom, turn on faucet, touch sink water and then metal faucet, smear some water all over the sweater, then I could start undressing.

Back in Taiwan I got electric shocked less than once per YEAR; only on very cold and dry sunny day right after a cold wave (and only when the cold wave is strong enough to kill elderly and/or homeless people and become headline news).

Depends on the humid environment and prevailing weather conditions, I know for a fact that high humidity here with an incoming thunderstorm there is a huge amount of static in the air, same for high humidity and hot wind, so it really depends on where you are and what weather conditions your environment has. (The air here is also high with salt due to it being a gulf and strong on shore winds)

Reply 25 of 30, by dormcat

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
TrashPanda wrote on 2022-03-11, 10:19:

Depends on the humid environment and prevailing weather conditions, I know for a fact that high humidity here with an incoming thunderstorm there is a huge amount of static in the air, same for high humidity and hot wind, so it really depends on where you are and what weather conditions your environment has. (The air here is also high with salt due to it being a gulf and strong on shore winds)

Ah, thunderstorm is another story; St. Elmo's fire is a typical example of high voltage differentials. Here we got continuous drizzle for 5 months a year. 😉

Reply 26 of 30, by Cuttoon

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Hahaha, I would not dare admit it!

Maybe you're just lucky, maybe it's your usual choice of footware, maybe it's your intuitive handling of stuff - grabbing cards by the backplate goes a long way.

But personally, I also think the risk is overrated.

I like jumpers.

Reply 27 of 30, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

There's some early CMOS stuff that's really actually static sensitive, on the level of you can't even feel you gave it a spark sensitive. NMOS is a lot less so.

I hate wearing synthetics, so I don't usually build much potential, but particularly in dry air periods, I'll be tapping something grounded every once in a while to make sure I'm not zappy.

Unicorn herding operations are proceeding, but all the totes of hens teeth and barrels of rocking horse poop give them plenty of hiding spots.

Reply 29 of 30, by debs3759

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
BitWrangler wrote on 2022-03-11, 19:39:

There's some early CMOS stuff that's really actually static sensitive, on the level of you can't even feel you gave it a spark sensitive. NMOS is a lot less so.

I hate wearing synthetics, so I don't usually build much potential, but particularly in dry air periods, I'll be tapping something grounded every once in a while to make sure I'm not zappy.

I don't wear synthetics very often, and I'm always in a wheelchair with rubber tyres when I go shopping. I still get static shocks in the elevator at the local shopping centre! Never feel static shocks at home though.

See my graphics card database at www.gpuzoo.com
Constantly being worked on. Feel free to message me with any corrections or details of cards you would like me to research and add.

Reply 30 of 30, by Cuttoon

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
debs3759 wrote on 2022-03-12, 00:23:

I don't wear synthetics very often, and I'm always in a wheelchair with rubber tyres when I go shopping. I still get static shocks in the elevator at the local shopping centre! Never feel static shocks at home though.

I'm rather sure I'm not the best person for explaining the physics of static electricity here, but as far as I understand it, rubber anything isn't a contradiction.
There's actually this, based on a belt of rubber:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Van_de_Graaff_g … tor#Description

That elevator is a huge metal door, I assume - absorbing the excess charge instantly.

I like jumpers.