VOGONS

First post, by Nemo1985

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Hello, I just bought this motherboard. It has 2 capacitors missing near the agp slots.

Unlucky it seems there are no high resolution pictures on the net to check the voltage and capacitance.

Any help please? This could also useful to check if there is any other missing components, if anyone here has the kg7 (lite or raid are fine too):

s-l1600.jpg
Filename
s-l1600.jpg
File size
308.9 KiB
Views
File license
Public domain

Reply 1 of 19, by shamino

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

From memory, those are 4700uF or 3900uF 6.3V. Either value has been seen there.
They're probably connected to the 5V input to the CPU VRM. If you use a meter you might find continuity from the positive pads to the 5V pins on the ATX connector.

Reply 2 of 19, by Nemo1985

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
shamino wrote on 2022-03-10, 01:04:

They're probably connected to the 5V input to the CPU VRM. If you use a meter you might find continuity from the positive pads to the 5V pins on the ATX connector.

I will check when I receive it. According to this picture (https://www.ultimateretro.net/motherboard/ima … 75106524366.jpg), they could be the same as the ones near the cpu.
If anyone else with the motherboard is willing to able I will be glad 😀

Reply 3 of 19, by PC Hoarder Patrol

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Nemo1985 wrote on 2022-03-10, 01:18:
shamino wrote on 2022-03-10, 01:04:

I will check when I receive it. According to this picture (https://www.ultimateretro.net/motherboard/ima … 75106524366.jpg), they could be the same as the ones near the cpu.
If anyone else with the motherboard is willing to able I will be glad 😀

https://forums.overclockers.co.uk/threads/fou … -raid.18903814/

Reply 4 of 19, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

IIRC on mine all the bigs caps were the same, yes. Not sure if mine is accessible right now, will be tomorrow before I get to look for it.

Unicorn herding operations are proceeding, but all the totes of hens teeth and barrels of rocking horse poop give them plenty of hiding spots.

Reply 6 of 19, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Do replace the whole lot though, the caps on them are crap. Mine is retired/stored because they're all bulged out.

Man I wish I had more luck refinding sources for the magic recipe BIOS and PCR settings for these and other AMD 761 board, that kind of goodness needs spreading... basically, set them up right with good RAM and it will hand a KT333 and less well implemented KT400 their asses. I think Oppainter was involved, but there's another name I'm having a hard time digging out. In theory, I've got pages bookmarked on some machine somewhere, that might give us something on archive.org but SOL for that so far too.

edit: Just had the right two neurons connect and give me a search term that found me a better lead https://www.overclockers.com/forums/threads/k … -please.419817/ ... stuff that was live in 2005 might be well archived... I hope.

editII: damn that deadended, but just having that extra name clue found me https://forums.overclockers.com.au/threads/su … kg7-lite.12532/ which has the magic numbers.

editIII: Yisss, a paste of the old guide... https://www.rage3d.com/board/showthread.php?t=33623217

Unicorn herding operations are proceeding, but all the totes of hens teeth and barrels of rocking horse poop give them plenty of hiding spots.

Reply 7 of 19, by Nemo1985

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

First things first. I bought it as broken, I will try to solder the 2 missing caps and if it works I will recap the whole board, also the seller gave me the same advice since those caps were manufactured during the plague era.

From what I found there are 3 models of the KG7. The vanilla one, which is the one I found, should be the same of the raid version, only lacks the raid chip, then we have the lite version that has a different board layout and 2 dimms slots instead of 4.
Unlucky as you noted most of the abit stuff has gone lost (that's not for this one, but in general :\).
Do you have any advice about what bios to use?

Reply 8 of 19, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

The lite is the same PCB with just the DIMM slots deleted... I think you can only run DDR200 with all 4 DIMM filled anyway... so it's not much of a loss. http://abit.ws/page/en/motherboard/motherboar … fMTYPE=Socket+A
That one has 2 different caps by the socket, but I've seen them with all the same. Not sure whether that would have been late run improvement, 2 better caps there, or early cheaping out, lesser caps there.

Anyway, everything about KG7, raid and lite core chipset applies to the others also.

edit: I was probably using the DM version bios, latest 2003 for later CPU support

Reply 9 of 19, by Nemo1985

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

You are right, my eyes tricked me, they are the same except for the 2 missing dimm slots.

Ok i'm downloading the latest bios, I was thinking to use the AMD Athlon XP 2400+ LP (Thoroughbred), those socket a cpus were hot like hell, this low power seems fine, if supported.
About the ddr, I will use 1 or 2 slots, it depends which gives best performance.

Reply 12 of 19, by Nemo1985

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
bofh.fromhell wrote on 2022-03-10, 21:45:
Adding a pic of mine (pre recap) just to confirm 4700uF and 6.3V. Tho I didnt need to swap mine, they measured perfectly. […]
Show full quote

Adding a pic of mine (pre recap) just to confirm 4700uF and 6.3V.
Tho I didnt need to swap mine, they measured perfectly.

wyumoFpl.jpeg

Thank you thank you.
While the ones near the cpu are 3300 or 3600?

shamino wrote on 2022-03-10, 21:51:

Although it's unlikely, check if any of the leads are shorted on the MOSFETs. If they are you'll just end up having to pull the caps back off again.

Where should I use the tips to do that and how should I set it?
I'm really dumb with that thing so if you could explain to me. Thanks.

Reply 13 of 19, by shamino

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Nemo1985 wrote on 2022-03-10, 21:54:
shamino wrote on 2022-03-10, 21:51:

Although it's unlikely, check if any of the leads are shorted on the MOSFETs. If they are you'll just end up having to pull the caps back off again.

Where should I use the tips to do that?
I'm really dumb with that thing so if you could explain to me. Thanks.

The floating middle pin is connected to the large tab on the back, that's normal. So for the middle pin you can measure from the metal tab since it's easier.

On a resistance test, if any of the 3 leads show near-zero (like <2ohm) resistance to either of the other 2 leads on the same MOSFET, then one of the MOSFETs is probably blown. It happens rarely when capacitors fail.
There's a lot of parallel connection between the MOSFETs and also some capacitors in the area, so if you find a short then you'd need to lift the legs up from the board to figure out which one is actually blown. Once identified then it has to be fully removed, and the caps would just be in the way.

I think there's a more in-depth way to test MOSFETs than just looking for shorts, but I don't know it. It's probably not applicable unless you reach the point of having the legs lifted off the board.

Reply 14 of 19, by bofh.fromhell

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Nemo1985 wrote on 2022-03-10, 21:54:
bofh.fromhell wrote on 2022-03-10, 21:45:
Adding a pic of mine (pre recap) just to confirm 4700uF and 6.3V. Tho I didnt need to swap mine, they measured perfectly. […]
Show full quote

Adding a pic of mine (pre recap) just to confirm 4700uF and 6.3V.
Tho I didnt need to swap mine, they measured perfectly.

wyumoFpl.jpeg

Thank you thank you.
While the ones near the cpu are 3300 or 3600?

6.3V 3300uF
Also I used low ESR ones for the CPU power.

Reply 15 of 19, by Nemo1985

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Thank you all for the help, which model did you use?

I'm looking for replacement, apparently the electrolytic capacitors are quite rare for those capacitance, while the polymer caps I found only gets to 1200uf or 1500uf.
For 3300uf I found PF0J332MNN1220 Elite but they sound like rubbish, right?
While for 4700:
PF0J472MNN1225 Elite, again, rubbish?
or EEUFR0J472B PANASONIC, they cost almost 1€ each... 😮

Reply 16 of 19, by bofh.fromhell

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Nemo1985 wrote on 2022-03-10, 22:34:
Thank you all for the help, which model did you use? […]
Show full quote

Thank you all for the help, which model did you use?

I'm looking for replacement, apparently the electrolytic capacitors are quite rare for those capacitance, while the polymer caps I found only gets to 1200uf or 1500uf.
For 3300uf I found PF0J332MNN1220 Elite but they sound like rubbish, right?
While for 4700:
PF0J472MNN1225 Elite, again, rubbish?
or EEUFR0J472B PANASONIC, they cost almost 1€ each... 😮

I used Panasonics: EEUFR0J332L
And yea they are pricey......
Tho i don't mind spoiling my hardware, i mean I spent time looking for it and payed for it =)
Speaking of, my supply is somewhat depleted after a few recent purchases, time to bite the bullet again 🤣

Reply 17 of 19, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Dug up the old KG7 FAQ, this goes to the BIOS section, further info on the versions..
https://web.archive.org/web/20060314150624/ht … m?fid=4&fcid=17

Reply 18 of 19, by Nemo1985

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I should receive the motherboard later, I suppose it will not work without the 2 caps, right?
What should I do? Can I solder 2 of the caps I have just to check if it is working? They are not rated for 4700uf but something like 3x000 though

Reply 19 of 19, by Nemo1985

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Bump, I was able to solder 1 cap (3300uf) and now here is what happens:
First time I try to boot the board it gets stuck with debug codes: AF Ad (no results with those codes on the debug card manual)
Second time it boots fine.
Third time debug card shows ----
Rinse and repeat.

Sounds like it is a pattern.