VOGONS

First post, by BLockOUT

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hi guys
Im slowly working on a restoration of an old Theremaltake Xaser III case that took many beatings but at least most of the case was complete even with coolers.
these cases are really hard to find around here. in fact i only saw one in many years.

The reason i picked the restoration was because during the year 2003 or 2004 (i think) this was my dream build with an athlon xp. i wanted the case and the shop that sold it to me after weeks of waiting was unable to get the color and model that i wanted, so they offered me a Xaser II for a really good price and i never got the xaser III, Had to wait 20 years to get one.

So far i was able to buy a cut of personalized acrylic because the original one was broken. i told the guy to leave the outside holes and the border cuts for me, and i will do them manually with a dremel, and the guy just replicated the fan holes using a laser cut machine, he did an excelent job

the problem i have is witht the Electroluminescent (EL) panel. it is broken. This is kind of ancient technology for me. I know thermaltake used to sell these under separate packages but i have never seen them being sold on ebay. The problem with these is that there is a part that folds to the back, and that breaks the really thin copper layers, and also the layers are glued but after time the layers start to separate where they fold.

Im wondering if any of you had the same problem that i have, to be honest to find one of these working must be a challenge.

so the only thing i can think of is to create manually 1 sheet of BLACK plastic and cut the thermaltake words with a precision cutting knife.
then a piece of a white acrylic on the back of the black acrylic, and on the back of that just put some Leds to make the words have light.

el.jpg

Last edited by Stiletto on 2022-03-14, 22:37. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 1 of 6, by pentiumspeed

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Tear apart the old broken iphone like 6 plus, 7 plus or 8 plus for extra length screens, keeping the LEDs and light guides and figure out how much volts to drive them. Just go to any phone repair shop and ask for totally shattered screens that has shattered LCD in it, they are worthless to send back for buybacks because screen rebuilders prefers intact LCDs regardless of cracks or shattered glass screens.

Peeling apart screens is very easy to do.

Cheers,

Great Northern aka Canada.

Reply 2 of 6, by PC Hoarder Patrol

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
BLockOUT wrote on 2022-03-13, 02:20:
Hi guys Im slowly working on a restoration of an old Theremaltake Xaser III case that took many beatings but at least most of th […]
Show full quote

Hi guys
Im slowly working on a restoration of an old Theremaltake Xaser III case that took many beatings but at least most of the case was complete even with coolers.
these cases are really hard to find around here. in fact i only saw one in many years.

The reason i picked the restoration was because during the year 2003 or 2004 (i think) this was my dream build with an athlon xp. i wanted the case and the shop that sold it to me after weeks of waiting was unable to get the color and model that i wanted, so they offered me a Xaser II for a really good price and i never got the xaser III, Had to wait 20 years to get one.

So far i was able to buy a cut of personalized acrylic because the original one was broken. i told the guy to leave the outside holes and the border cuts for me, and i will do them manually with a dremel, and the guy just replicated the fan holes using a laser cut machine, he did an excelent job

the problem i have is witht the Electroluminescent (EL) panel. it is broken. This is kind of ancient technology for me. I know thermaltake used to sell these under separate packages but i have never seen them being sold on ebay. The problem with these is that there is a part that folds to the back, and that breaks the really thin copper layers, and also the layers are glued but after time the layers start to separate where they fold.

Im wondering if any of you had the same problem that i have, to be honest to find one of these working must be a challenge.

so the only thing i can think of is to create manually 1 sheet of BLACK plastic and cut the thermaltake words with a precision cutting knife.
then a piece of a white acrylic on the back of the black acrylic, and on the back of that just put some Leds to make the words have light.

el.jpg

How about adding a new basic EL panel directly behind the existing one - https://www.amazon.co.uk/C-FUNN-Flexible-Elec … C87&sr=8-1&th=1

Reply 3 of 6, by BLockOUT

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
PC Hoarder Patrol wrote on 2022-03-13, 05:37:
Hi guys Im slowly working on a restoration of an old Theremaltake Xaser III case that took many beatings but at least most of th […]
Show full quote

Hi guys

el.jpg

How about adding a new basic EL panel directly behind the existing one - https://www.amazon.co.uk/C-FUNN-Flexible-Elec … C87&sr=8-1&th=1

arggg almost perfect! 🙁
the letters would not fit! it needs to be 13cm minimum height, else some letter would be cut.

unless i scan the original and resize it a little bit and print it on adhesive vinyl, then cut the letters. which would be another good option too. thanks!

Reply 4 of 6, by PC Hoarder Patrol

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
BLockOUT wrote on 2022-03-13, 13:48:
arggg almost perfect! :( the letters would not fit! it needs to be 13cm minimum height, else some letter would be cut. […]
Show full quote
Show full quote

Hi guys

el.jpg

arggg almost perfect! 🙁
the letters would not fit! it needs to be 13cm minimum height, else some letter would be cut.

unless i scan the original and resize it a little bit and print it on adhesive vinyl, then cut the letters. which would be another good option too. thanks!

Centimetres or inches ? - the one I linked was inches (12 x 2) but there are shorter (6 x 2 inches) and longer (18 x 2 inches) available as well

Reply 5 of 6, by BLockOUT

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
PC Hoarder Patrol wrote on 2022-03-14, 06:21:
arggg almost perfect! :( the letters would not fit! it needs to be 13cm minimum height, else some letter would be cut. […]
Show full quote

arggg almost perfect! 🙁

Centimetres or inches ? - the one I linked was inches (12 x 2) but there are shorter (6 x 2 inches) and longer (18 x 2 inches) available as well

oh those were inches, so 12x2 is 30cmX5cmX0.02cm way too long its 30cm.

then 6x2 must be like 15cmx5cm but it is too wide, since the original is 4cm and goes inside an acrylic molded case, maybe it can be sanded down a little bit.

where did you see the 6x2 ? i can only find the one that is 12 inches

Reply 6 of 6, by PC Hoarder Patrol

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
BLockOUT wrote on 2022-03-14, 19:36:
oh those were inches, so 12x2 is 30cmX5cmX0.02cm way too long its 30cm. […]
Show full quote
PC Hoarder Patrol wrote on 2022-03-14, 06:21:

arggg almost perfect! 🙁

oh those were inches, so 12x2 is 30cmX5cmX0.02cm way too long its 30cm.

then 6x2 must be like 15cmx5cm but it is too wide, since the original is 4cm and goes inside an acrylic molded case, maybe it can be sanded down a little bit.

where did you see the 6x2 ? i can only find the one that is 12 inches

They were on ebay (from China) - https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_tr … escent&_sacat=0