VOGONS

First post, by Hirsch

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Back in the days when SD video was state of the art RPC1 firmwares for DVD drives were popular. Lots of these inofficial firmware updates brought other improvements along like improved reading speed. Back then this was also a little bit a legal issue, because Hollywood studios didn't like people bypassing the region protection of DVDs. Nowadays we have UHD and 8K video streams and optical medias are becoming rare. I ask myself whether RPC1 is still an issue or whether we can post firmware files in this forum.

The background of this question is, that somebody asked in the "Bought these (retro) hardware today" where I got the RPC1 firmware for my Plextor PX-760A. I posted some external links here, which is rather harmless. The problem is, that this information will be lost earlier or later in the "Bought these (retro) hardware today" thread. Instead of giving a complicated instruction where to download which content and which files to edit, I can just create a zip file and upload it here. I think of creating a thread collecting old RPC1 firmwares you can't find any longer (even not on archive.org) and furthermore a collection of RPC1 websites.

Due to this I'd like to ask the moderators whether they see legal or other problems with this. If false, I'll collect all the RPC1 stuff I have in a thread.

Reply 1 of 5, by dr_st

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Personally, I think that DVD regions are a crime against humanity, and would appreciate any legislation that forces every hardware vendor that even manufactured a DVD drive to release region-free firmware. 😁

Of course, that's definitely gonna happen. 🙄

I would very much appreciate a comprehensive list of RPC-1 firmware for various burners. Trouble is, I think, that many (especially modern ones) never had RPC-1 firmware written for them. So the ultimate end-goal would be if someone could come up with a generic method of modifying DVD drive FW to be RPC-1. I expect it is not easy, if possible at all (or else someone would have done it).

Whether hosting such links on the forum violates the rules of the community - I have no idea, will wait for someone from the administration team to weigh in.

https://cloakedthargoid.wordpress.com/ - Random content on hardware, software, games and toys

Reply 2 of 5, by Hirsch

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

forum.rpc1.org had a comprehensive description how to patch RPC1 firmware. It is basically about searching a specific functionality in the assembler code in the firmware (8051 compatible in many cases) and disable it by replacing it by a series of NOP. The forum is down now, but archive.org might help finding the information I'm talking about. (For me it's remembering what I've read there 20 years ago.)

Reply 3 of 5, by dr_st

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Maybe I should take a look... I wonder if such firmware typically has anti-tampering features that must be circumvented, from basic checksumming to digital signatures...

https://cloakedthargoid.wordpress.com/ - Random content on hardware, software, games and toys

Reply 5 of 5, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

PowerDVD 3-6 on XP should work with such "fixed" drives.

"Time, it seems, doesn't flow. For some it's fast, for some it's slow.
In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//