VOGONS

First post, by Kahenraz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Windows 95 and 98 have a tick box to uncheck "Suggest MS-DOS mode as necessary" in the Advanced properties of DOS programs, but this option does not appear in Windows ME. Without it, Windows suspends some DOS applications when they are run with this annoying popup. There is a delay when dropping back to Windows, having to close the dialog, then select the window and set it back to full screen. This is particularly tedious if I have both hands on the keyboard as dismissing the dialog and selecting the Window is best done with the mouse.

Is there any way to restore this functionality to stop the dialog from appearing?

Last edited by Kahenraz on 2022-07-03, 20:36. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 1 of 5, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

https://m.majorgeeks.com/files/details/real_d … tch_for_me.html

Does that one help? It's not what you asked for, but it tries to "restore" the functionality of previous versions.
Perhaps this will bring back the checkbox, too.
Not sure, though. Haven't tested it myself yet. 🤷‍♂️

"Time, it seems, doesn't flow. For some it's fast, for some it's slow.
In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//

Reply 2 of 5, by Kahenraz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Following up on this. Restoring the DOS boot functionality to Windows ME does not affect this dialog, and it still gives warnings when running certain DOS applications.

The easiest way to test it is to run a game like Dungeon Master.

For the time being, I've switched back to Windows 98 specifically due to this annoying popup, as I want to run DOS games from a shortcut without having to deal with any of this nonsense. I suspect that there should be a way to restore this functionality by replacing some files or patching something, but I don't know how this dialog works or what files it accesses. Maybe someone with some debugging skills would have some luck investigating this further.

Reply 5 of 5, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

That's sad. I assume MS tried very hard to make Me appear independent from MS-DOS.
Me is essentially using MS-DOS as a bootloader/runtime here.

Another idea. Check out some beta versions of Me.
Perhaps earlier versions still have the dialog still intact.

Good luck.

"Time, it seems, doesn't flow. For some it's fast, for some it's slow.
In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//