VOGONS

First post, by Boohyaka

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Hi there, quite a common topic, I've done quite a lot of reading but I'm just not sure anymore and prefer asking again.

I have a Promise S150 TX4 PCI card on a Win98SE PC. Using a 120GB SSD for the OS, and and additional 500GB HDD.

I have partitioned and formatted the drives on a modern PC with Rufus, as Large FAT32. All is well. OS installation was no problem, and overall the computer runs perfectly fine. Yet I have a few glitches and related questions.

- Obviously the PCI card allows to circumvent the potential motherboard/bios HDD size limits. But does Win98SE have its own limits one way or another with bigger drives, even if using a PCI controller and proper drivers?
- I have this weird issue where on boot scandisk will trigger and complain it's not able to read the last cluter of drive C (the 120GB SSD, the OS drive). By reading some other posts, it seems that's probably because I partitioned the disks using Rufus on a modern system. Reinstalling the OS is not an issue if I can make it right this time, so should I grab FDISK and Scandisk from Windows ME as I've seen suggested and use those instead? Will they support my 120GB and 500GB drives?
- Not related to Win98 this time but only on the Promise S150 TX4 card: I actually have two of them, bought separately. Both mention BIOS 1.00.0064.48 on boot and I find it strange as I find no mention of this BIOS on internet, and even on Promise's website the latest BIOS update doesn't really make sense, as it's numbered way lowered than that? Anyone got a clue?
- With both cards, on two different motherboards with different drives, the same issue randomly appears: the card won't detect one, or both drives on boot. Usually a simple reboot solves it and all is fine again. Not a (very) big deal, but that issue was the reason I started looking into BIOS updates, as per previous question.

Cheers

Reply 1 of 5, by Boohyaka

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

For any future visitor ending up here, I went ahead and re-partitioned the SSD with Windows ME's FDISK, reformatted, reinstalled and all is well it seems. No more scandisk complaints.

I am still unclear about Win98's internal limits. I've read about some rloew's patches for drives bigger than 137GiB in Win98, but still can't figure out if this is all unnecessary as I use a Promise PCI controller card. My concern is what happens once I go above 128GB on the 500GB drive, will it start corrupting.

I also still have those weird random issues with disks being not detected on boot by the Promise cards, same model running same BIOS on two different configs, but I can live with it. It doesn't happen too often and is easily fixed by rebooting again. And still no clue what's up with that BIOS version or potential updates. Oh well.

Reply 2 of 5, by aaron158

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

i use the maxtor version of the card and never had any issue with the drives not being picked up.

i formatted my drives using a seagate boot disk that came with a seagate hard drive.

windows 98 should work fine with any size drive if u have patched it for LBA

the bios on my maxtor card also has a new a little newer version then the newest version on the promise website.

Reply 3 of 5, by kepstin

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

The 137GB (128GiB) limit is specifically an issue with the standard IDE/ATA drivers included with Windows 98. If you're using a SATA controller that requires third party drivers, then there should be no problem accessing larger filesystems ... once the drivers are loaded.

So, I think the key point is to make sure that the drive/partition which your Windows installation is on fits within the limits, so that during early boot when it's using the BIOS to access the drive and load drivers, it's able to access everything. (I'm not sure whether the available patches might help with that.)

I haven't had any issues (yet) with using a larger secondary drive on a PCI SATA controller (Sil3114 in my case).

Reply 4 of 5, by Boohyaka

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Thanks for the confirmation, that was my understanding and why I chose 120GB SSD's as OS drives. So I should be good to go 😀

I also have a Sil3114 card and a another VIA based one. The VIA is shit, the Sil3114 was mostly ok, except my older builds would freeze when booting win98, when installation itself went fine (on 2 different computers). It would only play good with my WinXP build but even then I had a few issues down the road...switched it to a Promise S150II-TX4 and all is well since then.

Reply 5 of 5, by aaron158

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

ya those silcon image cards are crap for older machines. i had one of those 3112 cards and with all but a super old bios on the card from 2003 it would just freeze up when it came time for it to run drive detection. with the 2003 bios u could get windows 98 installed but as soon as u shut the system down it would start to corrupt everything. funny thing is u could reboot many many times getting stuff installed and it would be fine it was just when u shut the system fully down it all went to crap. i think mainly the problem was there was no proper windows 98 driver for the card 98 was iding it as some generic ide. were the promise card sata150 card promise offers a 98 driver for it on there site with the driver installed the promise card is saw by 98 as a scsi card.