VOGONS

First post, by xelizor

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello all, I have a simple question regarding powering a GPU that requires a Molex adapter.

The PSU model is a Corsair CX500M.

I've received a cable from china with these connections:

CvP2Cj7.jpg

and here is the official pinout:

dofVF6W.jpg

As I understand the 5V connections is missing, how problematic can it be if I use this cable?

I've asked for a refund due to a different pinout but the seller told me that "This was tested with corsair and it works fine"...

Thanks in advance,
Best regards.

Reply 1 of 4, by Sphere478

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Uh…

Attachments

Sphere's PCB projects.
-
Sphere’s socket 5/7 cpu collection.
-
SUCCESSFUL K6-2+ to K6-3+ Full Cache Enable Mod
-
Tyan S1564S to S1564D single to dual processor conversion (also s1563 and s1562)

Reply 2 of 4, by Sphere478

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Oh wait.

You are saying that it’s a modular psu

And that’s the psu side?

Okay I think I get it.

Plug it in and use a volt meter to see if it is putting out correctly.

You reallllly gotta be careful with these, mfgs haven’t standardized the psu side and it can lead to tears.

Alway confirm with a volt meter

If it’s wrong someone here can point you in the direction of the pin removal tool.

Which ai am also interested in as I have some. Of mine that need corrected also

Sphere's PCB projects.
-
-
-
Tyan S1564S to S1564D single to dual processor conversion (also s1563 and s1562)

Reply 3 of 4, by xelizor

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Sphere478 wrote on 2022-03-18, 08:13:

And that’s the psu side?

Hi, yes I just took a photo at the end of the cable and inverted it horizontally so it matches the position of the 6-pin socket in the actual PSU.

Unfortunately I don't have a multi-meter right now but eventually I'll measure it 😀

I'm just wondering if all the pins are routed properly... will the GPU work without the 5V wired?

Best regards

Reply 4 of 4, by Sphere478

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
xelizor wrote on 2022-03-18, 08:27:
Hi, yes I just took a photo at the end of the cable and inverted it horizontally so it matches the position of the 6-pin socket […]
Show full quote
Sphere478 wrote on 2022-03-18, 08:13:

And that’s the psu side?

Hi, yes I just took a photo at the end of the cable and inverted it horizontally so it matches the position of the 6-pin socket in the actual PSU.

Unfortunately I don't have a multi-meter right now but eventually I'll measure it 😀

I'm just wondering if all the pins are routed properly... will the GPU work without the 5V wired?

Best regards

don't plug that in without confirming its pinout with a volt meter. including polarity.

Sphere's PCB projects.
-
-
-